U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 12:24 AM

169 posts, read 139,483 times

Advertisements

4 year enlistee. I am 3 months away from my 2 year mark. I absolutely hate AD.

Iím thinking about PC just to gtfo of my situation. Itís a long story but I hate life here. Iíve talked to my supervisors and they have no clue how to even initiate the palace chase process. Iíve been told to talk to the guard unit on base, the guard recruiter off base, and to just apply for it on vmpf.

The thing is Iím currently in Arkansas and I want to PC to a guard unit back at home in NY. Can I talk to a guard recruiter here? Or is that just for reserves since guard is state based?

I paid $1200 for MGIB, I understand that if I PC I will only get a portion of it...am I correct? I also am currently on a PT profile for pain in my heel(still not diagnosed yet, way to go military doctors!). Should I get this figured out first before applying?

Is it a must to double up left over AD time when going guard? I read somewhere that they can just have you finish your contract in ANG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 05:35 AM

4,552 posts, read 4,142,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

Iím thinking about PC just to gtfo of my situation. Itís a long story but I hate life here. Iíve talked to my supervisors and they have no clue how to even initiate the palace chase process. Iíve been told to talk to the guard unit on base, the guard recruiter off base, and to just apply for it on vmpf.

The thing is Iím currently in Arkansas and I want to PC to a guard unit back at home in NY. Can I talk to a guard recruiter here? Or is that just for reserves since guard is state based?

I paid $1200 for MGIB, I understand that if I PC I will only get a portion of it...am I correct? I also am currently on a PT profile for pain in my heel(still not diagnosed yet, way to go military doctors!). Should I get this figured out first before applying?

Is it a must to double up left over AD time when going guard? I read somewhere that they can just have you finish your contract in ANG
You need to contact the units in your state. Do you have anyone you know in the guard in NY? If you want PM me and I can get you in contact with a recruiter in NY. You could also just call one of the armories in the state. Probably best if you called the unit in your home town. They have access to all the vacant positions in the state and only they will. If you are in Arkansas they wont know the vacancies in NY. Just PM me if you need more assistance. I can get you into contact with a recruiter in NY.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:28 AM

3,036 posts, read 8,712,248 times
Guard and Reserve positions are based on the unit, so if you need to talk to a recruiter where you want your unit to be. I'm pretty certain they aren't going to take you on a PT profile. I'm so sorry that you dislike active duty. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2018, 11:03 AM

4,552 posts, read 4,142,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Guard and Reserve positions are based on the unit, so if you need to talk to a recruiter where you want your unit to be. I'm pretty certain they aren't going to take you on a PT profile. I'm so sorry that you dislike active duty. Good luck!

Profile probably isn't much if he hasn't been diagnosed. He said it was a heel issue and that could be as simple as a bruise or a spur. Not something that isn't correctable. But he should get that checked soon. If you are looking at the reserves, I believe if you contact an army reserve recruiter he will have access to positions across the country. Guard units are a bit isolated by state. It comes with the dual commander in chief we have. We answer to the president as well as the governor of the state the unit is. They get kind of territorial when it comes to those.

I actually like the guard's dual role. I was called to state active duty for several things not the least of which was the tornado that ripped through the middle of my state.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM

169 posts, read 139,483 times
I got in touch with a guard recruiter from the ANG base right at home. I got a checklist from him and I’m just waiting on a response from the guard recruiter at my AD base to start the paperwork process.

My heel issue is currently being seen. They have not came to a conclusion yet, but x rays/MRI show nothing. Pain is still there. So I figure it’s prob nerve damage...guess I’ll just wait for their answer. Thing is, it’s not a duty restricting issue on paper, I just can’t push/pull heavy things(which is normal for my career), I was told I could crosstrain once I get into the guard. Guess it’s just a waiting game now...

Old 04-24-2018, 11:27 AM

921 posts, read 178,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post

Iím thinking about PC just to gtfo of my situation. Itís a long story but I hate life here.
Keep us updated, I would imagine there's a lot of folks who also hate AD and applied to palace chasing.

I looked up some information and it looks like it takes many approvals. Squadron commander, wing commander, etc. Make sure you have a good justification.

https://militarybenefits.info/palace-chase-program/

Old 04-24-2018, 01:03 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,477,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Keep us updated, I would imagine there's a lot of folks who also hate AD and applied to palace chasing.

I looked up some information and it looks like it takes many approvals. Squadron commander, wing commander, etc. Make sure you have a good justification.

https://militarybenefits.info/palace-chase-program/
I've known people who went Palace Chase from the Air Force to our Air National Guard unit. Usually they didn't want to make the Air Force a career, didn't want to leave Alaska, and only had a year left on their enlistment. Hating life in the Air Force isn't going to be considered a valid reason for going PC. If a person isn't suited for military life, going to a Guard unit probably won't work out either.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 PM

921 posts, read 178,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've known people who went Palace Chase from the Air Force to our Air National Guard unit. Usually they didn't want to make the Air Force a career, didn't want to leave Alaska, and only had a year left on their enlistment. Hating life in the Air Force isn't going to be considered a valid reason for going PC. If a person isn't suited for military life, going to a Guard unit probably won't work out either.
I agree which is why I stated that he should have a good justification. Commanders aren't dumb, they know people want to get out of active duty and will try everything under the sun to figure out how.

It reminds me of my TI at basic training, he pointed out that the fastest way to get through it is to just get through it honorably. Don't try to quit, don't try to get out, don't try to hurt yourself, don't say you're gay (back when you could get out for it), don't try to get med boarded, etc.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

12,752 posts, read 40,994,985 times
Can one of you guys explain why it's called "palace chase"?

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

12,752 posts, read 40,994,985 times
Thanks to whoever gave me rep points for the above post, but, does anyone know? There probably is a reason why this term is used. Although the reason may be lost in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or