U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best branch for careers
Army 6 17.14%
Navy 9 25.71%
Air Force 21 60.00%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Marine 1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:37 AM
gg

16,771 posts, read 17,014,199 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't think you are forced to be in the military. Trades are a great place to go and plenty of money to be made. Most young people don't want to do a trade like Plumbing or landscaping or being a mechanic. Lots of opportunity to say the least since the demand is high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 10:17 AM

58 posts, read 59,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I was in an Air Guard Civil Engineer Squadron. Air Force has that. Air Force has the biggest budget and the best facilities.

I work for Navy Facilities/NAVFAC right now. There are Seabees that are engineers. If you go that route then you WILL have a future with NAVFAC. Be flexible and move around and you can find yourself anywhere in the world.

There are different kinds of engineers, as you know. Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, Architectural. Any of those would be sought after civilian careers.

With today's school system, I can't blame anyone for not taking it seriously.
Again, not to be cruel, but with a 1.0 GPA, s/he is not quite ready for a four year university let alone the core requirements for engineering principles.

I would suggest that in any STEM field, one would be highly sought after.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 AM

Can't believe I failed to mention K-9. I was with a drug detection unit but there is also EOD, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, which was lovingly referred to as Every One Divorced. I would assume lots of time in the ME these days. Doesn't quite cross over into a great civilian job as I believe you would need a four year criminal justice degree.

Another one: SAR
https://navycrow.com/sar-swimmer-coin/

Jerry from NASNI, if you are reading this I regret leaving!

Lot's of opportunities, be sure to research and not get bamboozled into a rating you'll regret.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I wouldn't think you are forced to be in the military. Trades are a great place to go and plenty of money to be made. Most young people don't want to do a trade like Plumbing or landscaping or being a mechanic. Lots of opportunity to say the least since the demand is high.
Absolutely. I come from a family of mostly trades people and they do quite well for themselves. Several own their own businesses and are ready to retire in their 50's.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:35 AM

691 posts, read 199,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You need to know why you don't do well in school. Military, is NOT a place for people with no options. If you believe the myth, then you are not going to be successful in the military, period.

I am not saying this to be mean. The people who are very successful in the military are likely to be successful in the civilian world. The people who had no "options" in the civilian world do not magically find success in the military.

Marine Corps (and maybe other branches too) is more than running, shooting big guns, and getting dirty. You need to have a brain too.

THIS PART OF THE POST IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU PERSONALLY. THE YOU i AM USING HERE IS THE GENERAL TERM. If you don't know basic knowledge of Math, and you have never embraced the fundamental works of military literature. In what world do you think you would cut it as leader of Marines? Why would we trust you with leadership to train and grow Marines when you don't even care enough to train and grow yourself?

If you want to join the military because you want to put in your 100%, then there is a possibility that you can be successful in the military. But if military is just an escape from the reality, then don't bother.
And what branch of the service did you serve? Just curious.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:23 PM

8,002 posts, read 5,187,667 times
Joining the Marines at this point, given your self description would be a direct route to failure.
In any event in any service you need to be able to run two miles. Start today.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:58 PM

3,521 posts, read 6,633,420 times
So you've done terribly in school and have been taking engineering classes for three years and are looking for an engineering career?

I realize logical problem-solving is not taught in most skool systems any more, but look at that sentence above and see if you can see any potential career problems.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:25 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,562,451 times
OP:

Iím not sure anyone has addressed this yet, but if you talk to recruiters and are told youíre certain to get a specific job, get it in writing, if itís important to you. I fell for the ďyouíll get this job for sureĒ nonsense from an Air Force recruiter without getting it in writing. Of course I didnít.

It was still a great experience, I got to travel all over Asia (met my wife there) and Iíve found former military service looks great on a resume.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 1,640 times
well its not that i dont know about what i am and was supposed to be learning but it was more of a lack of effort and worry that snowballed as every year passed but i do understand what you are trying to say, thank you

Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM

4 posts, read 1,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
So you've done terribly in school and have been taking engineering classes for three years and are looking for an engineering career?

I realize logical problem-solving is not taught in most skool systems any more, but look at that sentence above and see if you can see any potential career problems.
i did well in those classes which is why they let me take it for 3 years, but lack of effort in other classes and lack of responsibility is what caused me to do badly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or