U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best branch for careers
Army 5 16.13%
Navy 9 29.03%
Air Force 18 58.06%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Marine 1 3.23%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fureta0622 View Post
i am a 17 year old male, i have done terribly in school i will be graduating in a month and have limited options due to low grades and gpa. and i was told the military is a good option for schooling and other things. i have done a little bit of research but i want to get other opinions and facts about the different branches and what they can offer, i have always wanted to support my country in some way since i was little and dont want to stay in missouri my whole life.Also i have taken engineering classes for 3 years and that is most likely what i will be looking for
ok to clear up i did terribly in school due to a lack of motivation and responsibility, im finishing with a 2.3 gpa and i did well in the engineering classes which is why thats something i am looking for, i do not have any friends or family that have been in the military i would be the first, i have done high school sports all 4 years (football and wrestling).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 07:18 PM

729 posts, read 130,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post

The USMC attends many of the same technical schools as the Navy so the USMC may be similar. That said, you can get great training and experience in any branch of the military.
They also attend Army schools...possibly AF as well although I do not know that first hand.

The Marine Corps is the smallest service so often piggybacks onto the other services schools rather than having a redundant school for the same equipment.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:47 PM

749 posts, read 314,243 times
It all depends what you are trying to do with your life. All branches of the service can prepare you and give you skills and experience to be successful later in life.

With that being said I would personally recommend the air force and/or navy. Just my .02 cents YMMV.

Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 PM

729 posts, read 130,635 times
When anyone asks what the military branches offer rather than what you have to offer, I recommend they avoid the Marine Corps...IMHO, that attitude doesn't fare well in the Corps.

I only recommend the Corps if it's something you've wanted to do and are drawn to it...not a decision to be made.

I'm not saying you couldn't still find success there, just that it may be tougher for you than those who where drawn to it. You must really be motivated...at least that's how it seemed when I was in in the 80's...the guys who weren't really driven to be Marines had a tough time, tried to quit or were dropped back.

Again, I don't know if this is still true, but the Marines can keep you in Boot Camp for up to six months before finally giving you the boot or allowing you to graduate. I knew a few guys that took the full six months to finally make it!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:39 AM

1,082 posts, read 210,664 times
Quote:
ok to clear up i did terribly in school due to a lack of motivation and responsibility, im finishing with a 2.3 gpa and i did well in the engineering classes which is why thats something i am looking for, i do not have any friends or family that have been in the military i would be the first, i have done high school sports all 4 years (football and wrestling).
Talk to your local Air Firce recruiter then schedule an official asvab

The military will make a man out of you.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 AM

1,779 posts, read 1,258,926 times
The Navy, Army or Air Force all have good programs that can enable you to get your crap together and get career. It just depends on what you want to do. You should figure that out then see what each branch offers that can get you there. Each of the 3 are gonna be stronger in some areas than others.

Since you mention engineering. You should look into nuclear power school in the Navy. Depends on your asvab score if you can get in it or not. Its not an easy route by any means. Once you get through that you can easily get college credits through clep testing and distance courses.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:28 AM

857 posts, read 407,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You can be successful in and out of any branch of the Armed Services. The key is to make the best of every situation and take advantage of every opportunity given you.

It is even easier to go in the military and fail so you need to do your part.

I served 26 years in the Navy and it set me up nicely for a civilian career. Any branch can do that though.

I was an Avionics Technician and worked along side Air Force Avionics Technicians. There was no question I was trained better and had much broader training than my Air Force counterparts. They were very specialized and worked on one piece of equipment. I worked on every piece of avionics gear on our aircraft.

When I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island an Air Force plane made an emergency landing due to loss of communications. I was called out to the aircraft to see if I could troubleshoot the problem. I was in the Navy, working on the radios on an Air Force plane, with four guys standing around watching me. I asked them what they did in the Air Force and they all said "avionics" but none of them knew how to work on radios. 30 minutes later I had their radios working and they were on their way.

The USMC attends many of the same technical schools as the Navy so the USMC may be similar. That said, you can get great training and experience in any branch of the military.
I was very impressed with the Navy's Officer Supply Corps setup. Not only do they understand supply, but they are versed in the financial side as well. The Air Force is very specialized in that regard; when I was in the Air Force, there were supply and finance officer career paths. Then, I heard that the logistics field became very diffused, in that you were given a specialty code but could be assigned to any number of different skill sets/billets, which is not the same thing as specializing in several areas. I also remember when they got rid of the fuel officer specialty and placed supply people in fuel billets.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:05 AM

30,563 posts, read 17,110,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
This is not true at all. MANY people join the military because they ran out of options in life. Many are college dropouts. Many were pizza delivery folks. Many were burger flippers just like me.

I highly encourage every single young "civilian loser" in this country to join the military. For many servicememebers, it saved their life.
With all due respect, I think you might have misunderstood my post.

I posted

You need to know why you don't do well in school. (These really are the keywords,) Military, is NOT a place for people with no options. If you believe the myth, then you are not going to be successful in the military, period.

As a civilian, I have always been told military is NOT a place for civilian losers (just using your words here, I don't consider people who don't do well in school "losers") by other servicemembers whom I know in real life, are you telling me they are not right? You have to put in your 100%, Military is NOT an escape from the reality. That is ALL I have heard from them (them = other military servicemembers I know.) This is exactly why when other civilians attack military members, calling them "They are the lowest of the low", I defend the servicemembers by telling the civilians, "The belief that Military is for somebody with no options is a myth. You do have to put in your 100%."

I am not saying, "Hey, op, don't join. You don't do well in school, so don't join." I am saying, "You need to figure out WHY you don't do well in school" Meaning, if he is willing to put in his 100%, then military is probably a good option for him, but if he views military as an escape from the reality, then he won't magically find success in the military.

Is it wrong?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-30-2018 at 09:27 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 09:49 AM

30,563 posts, read 17,110,605 times
Quote:
I think that you have made a really important self assessment. Only a small percentage of graduating high school students will graduate college and find a full time professional job. If you feel college right away is not "your thing", You are not alone. It does not look like you are a lazy person. lack of motivation is not the same as laziness. It is obvious you have other interests (engineering, football, and wrestling) So you are not really somebody with "no options".

All these said,

I suppose it all depends on the type of engineering on which you want to focus. The Navy will give you hands down the best nuclear, power plant, and electrical engineering training. The Air Force has amongst the best explosive engineering EOD members in the world. This is a hazardous field, obviously.

All branches have engineers and you can use an engineering degree in all of them.
But the Army has an entire Corps of Engineers.

Maybe talk to a recruiter.

In all of your endeavors, I wish you well.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:54 AM

7,506 posts, read 6,072,603 times
I say there is better opportunity to learn a trade/profession in the Navy or Air Force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or