U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best branch for careers
Army 5 15.63%
Navy 9 28.13%
Air Force 19 59.38%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Marine 1 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 10:21 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,527,408 times

Advertisements

Would be interesting to know what kind of starting salary veterans of each branch were able to earn right out of the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 11:57 AM

7,926 posts, read 6,841,686 times
During the Korean War, I joined the Navy for only one reason, my draft notice for the army was in my post office box.

The first year, I went to boot camp. From there to Aviation prep school in Memphis Tennessee, and then to Pennsylvania for another school. Spending my first year in the Navy in schools. First assignment was to Aviation Transport squadron in California where I was section leader over loading aircraft cargo, etc. Promoted to 3rd class petty officer and transferred by name which is unusual to Hawaii to the big air transport squadron to be in section leader Air Terminal over passengers and cargo. Few months later transferred by name back to same squadron in California to be Air Terminal Chief.

I was in full charge of that terminal, over all passengers, cargo that was shipped and received at that air transport squadron. I was an E3 (3rd class petty officer), and my two section leaders working for me were an E4 and an E5 both out ranking me, but I was the Chief in charge. A very unusual situation, but I was the one that best knew how to make things work and could make them work. First person to hold my position below an E7 (Chief Petty Officer) ever in that squadron. I held that assignment till I mustered out at the end of 4 years. I was given a bonus of Flight Skins (50% of your base pay). Once a month I would fly to Hawaii one Night, sleeping in a nice bunk till time for breakfast, and would observe the orderlies (flight attendants) serve breakfast official reason for my going. When not flying the orderlies were assigned to the air terminal. Would shop for things my wife wanted from Hawaii, and fly back that night doing the same.

The navy taught me how to be a good manager, the positions I held which I told you about above. I was as high in the corporate world with a 100 plus year corporation as Division Sales Manager for everything west of the Mississippi River.

The navy taught me how to be a good manager, the positions I held which I told you about above. I was as high in the corporate world with a 100 plus year corporation as Division Sales Manager for everything west of the Mississippi River.

After discharge I went into sales, earning about $125,000 in today's dollars in less than a year and never looked back. I spent a lot of those years in management positions.

It surprised me, as I was just an average student in high school. But when I took the tests when I joined the Navy, I was the highest they ever had at my recruiting station, and that grade, is what got me into the Naval Air Prep School.

I helped a few young men over the years, when they wanted to go into the service. I taught them that you can pick the field you want to work in, and agree to join, if you are guaranteed the school for that job field to follow boot camp. If you can pull the right grade on that test, they will negotiate you a school to get you to join especially the Navy.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:40 PM

296 posts, read 127,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
With all due respect, I think you might have misunderstood my post.

I posted

You need to know why you don't do well in school. (These really are the keywords,) Military, is NOT a place for people with no options. If you believe the myth, then you are not going to be successful in the military, period.

As a civilian, I have always been told military is NOT a place for civilian losers (just using your words here, I don't consider people who don't do well in school "losers") by other servicemembers whom I know in real life, are you telling me they are not right? You have to put in your 100%, Military is NOT an escape from the reality. That is ALL I have heard from them (them = other military servicemembers I know.) This is exactly why when other civilians attack military members, calling them "They are the lowest of the low", I defend the servicemembers by telling the civilians, "The belief that Military is for somebody with no options is a myth. You do have to put in your 100%."

I am not saying, "Hey, op, don't join. You don't do well in school, so don't join." I am saying, "You need to figure out WHY you don't do well in school" Meaning, if he is willing to put in his 100%, then military is probably a good option for him, but if he views military as an escape from the reality, then he won't magically find success in the military.

Is it wrong?

Ya know, I have seen movies and TV shows about Newport Beach. Read travelogues about Newport Beach. I have a close friend who lives just north of Newport Beach. The one thing about Newport Beach I haven't done is actually live there. That being said, I would never give advice about making a life choice to actually move to Newport Beach. Why? Because I really know nothing about. Get what I'm saying?

Old 04-30-2018, 01:55 PM

30,563 posts, read 17,132,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Ya know, I have seen movies and TV shows about Newport Beach. Read travelogues about Newport Beach. I have a close friend who lives just north of Newport Beach. The one thing about Newport Beach I haven't done is actually live there. That being said, I would never give advice about making a life choice to actually move to Newport Beach. Why? Because I really know nothing about. Get what I'm saying?
No, not really.

Well, If this is your attitude, then civilians should never volunteer at a local va hospital because we know nothing about the military. (according to you, right?) I happen to volunteer at a va hospital. I happen to have a brother who served in the Marine corps. I also will be a military wife next year. I also have two uncles served in the Marine Corps. I lost at least five childhood friends on the battlefield. Not sure what newport beach has anything to do with the point I was making. Sorry

This said, maybe you too misunderstood my post. No where have I suggested people who do not do well in school have no future in the military, all I am saying is military is not an escape from the reality. You DO need to put in your 100% and work hard. That is the point I was making.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 04-30-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
And what branch of the service did you serve? Just curious.
I don't think this post has anything to do with the point I was making.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM

296 posts, read 127,165 times
Quote:
No, not really.

Well, If this is your attitude, then civilians should never volunteer at a local va hospital because we know nothing about the military. (according to you, right?) I happen to volunteer at a va hospital. I happen to have a brother who served in the Marine corps. I also will be a military wife next year. I also have two uncles served in the Marine Corps. I lost at least five childhood friends on the battlefield. Not sure what newport beach has anything to do with the point I was making. Sorry

This said, maybe you too misunderstood my post. No where have I suggested people who do not do well in school have no future in the military, all I am saying is military is not an escape from the reality. You DO need to put in your 100% and work hard. That is the point I was making.
I'll be blunt. Regardless of the fact you know people in the military, or will be married soon to someone in the military, or have read information about the military, if you haven't served in the military, or shared sacrifices as a spouse of someone who served, you really have no business lecturing this young person as whether he or she should join the military. Other Vets have pointed out that while they might not have been the best students in high school, they have greatly benefited from enlisting in the military. This is the message this young person should have received from Vets. Not lectures from someone who never served questioning their motivation or determination.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:22 PM

23,366 posts, read 37,034,047 times
Quote:
I'll be blunt. Regardless of the fact you know people in the military, or will be married soon to someone in the military, or have read information about the military, if you haven't served in the military, or shared sacrifices as a spouse of someone who served, you really have no business lecturing this young person as whether he or she should join the military. Other Vets have pointed out that while they might not have been the best students in high school, they have greatly benefited from enlisting in the military. This is the message this young person should have received from Vets. Not lectures from someone who never served questioning their motivation or determination.
I agree....

Old 04-30-2018, 03:42 PM

Quote:
And what branch of the service did you serve? Just curious.
Quote:
This is the thing: I did not lecture this young person as whether he or she shoud join the military.

I am sorry if you feel this way. It is not my intent.

I said at least three times, my point is this: If he is willing to put in 100%, then millitary might be a good options for him. If he believes military is some kind of escape from the reality, then he would not find success in the military. It is really just common sense stuff.

Plus, when I was 17 years old, I thought about joining the military. I remember I asked one of the recruiter, "I heard military is for people with no options, is it true?" She said, "No, it is not. It is for people who are willing to do the work."

Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,527,408 times
Quote:
I lost at least five childhood friends on the battlefield.
If you were not on the battlefield with them you did not lose anyone on the battlefield. Your statement makes it sound like you were there with them. What you said is reserved for those that they were serving next to on the battlefield when they made the ultimate sacrifice.

You may have lost childhood friends to military service but you didn't lose them on the battlefield as you were not there.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:50 PM

well, consider this story:

a teacher said,

“Think about the people who you know who are over there. Your freaking stupid Uncle Louie or whatever. They’re dumbs‑‑‑s,” Salcido can be heard saying in the Jan. 25 tirade.

“They’re not like high-level thinkers, they’re not academic people, they’re not intellectual people. They’re the lowest of our low.”

Teacher who called military 'lowest of the low' is fired | Fox News

Obviously, a lot of civilians think of military service people this way, (the above) I am saying the belief that military is for people with no options is a myth, and I am being scolded here?

Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or