U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best branch for careers
Army 6 17.14%
Navy 9 25.71%
Air Force 21 60.00%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Marine 1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 04:19 PM

29,427 posts, read 46,789,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
... Since you mention engineering. You should look into nuclear power school in the Navy. Depends on your asvab score if you can get in it or not. Its not an easy route by any means. Once you get through that you can easily get college credits through clep testing and distance courses.
I must disagree with part of this. The kid has a gpa of 2, he would bomb nuc school.

I am a career submariner, I have served alongside a lot of nucs. If this OP was not motivated to study in highschool, there is no way he would suddenly find the key to self-motivation in nuc school.

Nuc school is for extremely intelligent and highly motivated individuals who know they want to go far, to grab the brass ring and make the big bucks, while serving the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 05:36 PM

12,297 posts, read 11,727,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Would be interesting to know what kind of starting salary veterans of each branch were able to earn right out of the service.
I was in the Navy and started as a GS-9 in DC, job was horrible, after a while there got picked up for a position in the financial industry, salary has been straight upward since into the 6-figures range depending on performance bonuses. Got out of the Navy and completed my bachelor's, got my MBA while in financial industry.

I did electronics (communications, submarines), zero relation to my current job, lol, but no, I know I have brought a lot of soft skills from the Navy into my position which has assisted me greatly. I could eve say completing my bachelor's and MBA was a breeze compared to how difficult the Navy "A" and maintenance schools were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I must disagree with part of this. The kid has a gpa of 2, he would bomb nuc school.

I am a career submariner, I have served alongside a lot of nucs. If this OP was not motivated to study in highschool, there is no way he would suddenly find the key to self-motivation in nuc school.

Nuc school is for extremely intelligent and highly motivated individuals who know they want to go far, to grab the brass ring and make the big bucks, while serving the USA.
I think the nuc program has minimum GPA requirements? Any way, I would say go for it any how, but damn, I would not wish that job on anyone, lol.

But as I mentioned earlier, I dropped form high school, rarely ever making above a "D", yet excelled in the Navy and its schools. I was actually in the top ten out of around 300 students in basic submarine school, and placed always in the top 3 in the various "A" school components and maintenance schools.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:38 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,351,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I was in the Navy and started as a GS-9 in DC, job was horrible, after a while there got picked up for a position in the financial industry, salary has been straight upward since into the 6-figures range depending on performance bonuses. Got out of the Navy and completed my bachelor's, got my MBA while in financial industry.

I did electronics (communications, submarines), zero relation to my current job, lol, but no, I know I have brought a lot of soft skills from the Navy into my position which has assisted me greatly. I could eve say completing my bachelor's and MBA was a breeze compared to how difficult the Navy "A" and maintenance schools were.

I think the nuc program has minimum GPA requirements? Any way, I would say go for it any how, but damn, I would not wish that job on anyone, lol.

But as I mentioned earlier, I dropped form high school, rarely ever making above a "D", yet excelled in the Navy and its schools. I was actually in the top ten out of around 300 students in basic submarine school, and placed always in the top 3 in the various "A" school components and maintenance schools.
I would say it this way. There is no better way to get your mind in focused when someone is looking you right in the eye and saying soldier/sailor/plebe/low life/tied to momma's string telling you to get your head out of your 5th point of contact.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:45 AM

3,246 posts, read 778,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I am not saying, "Hey, op, don't join. You don't do well in school, so don't join." I am saying, "You need to figure out WHY you don't do well in school" Meaning, if he is willing to put in his 100%, then military is probably a good option for him, but if he views military as an escape from the reality, then he won't magically find success in the military.

Is it wrong?

Yes it's wrong. No one has their life figured out at 17. Me nor you have any idea how how successful or unsuccessful military service would be for the OP regardless of his civilian life.

As I said before, there's plenty of people who dropped out of school or didn't take education seriously who served and were molded into a man, then later finished school. I'm one of those people.

Nothing will fix a lost soul like military service. Nothing.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:55 AM

30,990 posts, read 17,849,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes it's wrong. No one has their life figured out at 17. Me nor you have any idea how how successful or unsuccessful military service would be for the OP regardless of his civilian life.

As I said before, there's plenty of people who dropped out of school or didn't take education seriously who served and were molded into a man, then later finished school. I'm one of those people.

Nothing will fix a lost soul like military service. Nothing.
well, I explained what I had to say. I don't think I have said anything wrong,

This said, this will be the last post I have on this thread. good night.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:15 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,699,363 times
I was in the same boat as you when I was 17. Doing terrible in high school and to the point that I would have to repeat my senior year due to cutting class too much. I had no idea what I wanted to do in life.

My father pushed me to go into the Air Force. I had to take the test and get my GED before I could go in. After I got in and went overseas the base had college and high school classes. So I got my high school diploma at that time.

The Air Force gave me time to mature and grow up. It also gave me ideas for jobs that I might want to do when I got out.
I realized that I wanted to stay in aviation so started taking college courses while still in and then finished after I got out
I now have a great career and make good income.
They say the Air Force is the best branch to find a six figure civilian equivalent when you get out and I agree with that.

I would recommend anyone who does not know what they want to do when they get out of high school to join the military. Gives you time to think and mature. Also you will make good friends and have a good time.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:43 AM

2,333 posts, read 5,965,521 times
Our grandson was Medi Vac with Air Force and prepared for what he wanted by earning a two year diploma from community college and now employed by police dept which required this,not my choice but what he wanted.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:05 PM

163 posts, read 46,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Poor grades, did terribly in school? You will not score well on the ASVAB, your options will still be limited. You might be able to get into the Army and become an 11b ground pounder/cannon fodder.
My dh did terrible in school and had bad grades. He barely graduated. He scored well on the ASVAB. Said it was an easy test. He went Nuclear submarines in the Navy, got a good bonus and clearance. He now earns six-figures in the civilian world.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:17 PM

29,427 posts, read 46,789,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtohartfordct View Post
My dh did terrible in school and had bad grades. He barely graduated. He scored well on the ASVAB. Said it was an easy test. He went Nuclear submarines in the Navy, got a good bonus and clearance. He now earns six-figures in the civilian world.
The ASVAB tests aptitude. It does not ask anything from your History or English classes.

An individual could have flunked nearly all high school classes and still go on to ace the ASVAB.

It is like how a high school dropout could have a high MENSA score.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:19 PM

163 posts, read 46,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fureta0622 View Post
i am a 17 year old male, i have done terribly in school i will be graduating in a month and have limited options due to low grades and gpa. and i was told the military is a good option for schooling and other things. i have done a little bit of research but i want to get other opinions and facts about the different branches and what they can offer, i have always wanted to support my country in some way since i was little and ž dont want to stay in missouri my whole life.Also i have taken engineering classes for 3 years and that is most likely what i will be looking for
My dh did terrible in school. He went into the Navy, finished his degree on shore duty. He is making great money in the civilian world. Youíre 17, doing bad in high school isnít a Scarlett letter. I am assuming youíre not applying to Harvard anytime soon lol. Youíll be fine. Do your 4-8, go to school. Donít get married or anyone pregnant. Dh and I ( dh is 33, Iím 30) are rarity in that we made it. I graduated from college during his first enlistment and we waited to have kids until the end of his second.

Pick a job in the electrician, machinist, or nuclear field. Preferably one that qualifies you for a secret/top secret clearance. When dh got he had three high paying job offers and a lot of mid range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or