U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: best branch for careers
Army 6 17.14%
Navy 9 25.71%
Air Force 21 60.00%
Coast Guard 0 0%
Marine 1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 12:40 PM

4 posts, read 1,710 times

Advertisements

i am a 17 year old male, i have done terribly in school i will be graduating in a month and have limited options due to low grades and gpa. and i was told the military is a good option for schooling and other things. i have done a little bit of research but i want to get other opinions and facts about the different branches and what they can offer, i have always wanted to support my country in some way since i was little and dont want to stay in missouri my whole life.Also i have taken engineering classes for 3 years and that is most likely what i will be looking for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:20 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,064,394 times
If you want engineering then go to all recruiters and see what you can get. All are fine. Go where you can get the best deal for what you want to do.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:13 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,488,181 times
Be all you can be in the Army. You wont go wrong with any of the services but.... you will have more options and choices in the army. Some very nice advancement options as well. All the other services are smaller by way of personnel. Advancement opportunities for advancement is like climbing a pyramid. There are fewer slots to move into as you climb up.

But I am biased. 37+ years Army/Army National Guard retired.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:50 PM

31,389 posts, read 18,435,180 times
You need to know why you don't do well in school. Military, is NOT a place for people with no options. If you believe the myth, then you are not going to be successful in the military, period.

I am not saying this to be mean. The people who are very successful in the military are likely to be successful in the civilian world. The people who had no "options" in the civilian world do not magically find success in the military.

Marine Corps (and maybe other branches too) is more than running, shooting big guns, and getting dirty. You need to have a brain too.

THIS PART OF THE POST IS NOT DIRECTED AT YOU PERSONALLY. THE YOU i AM USING HERE IS THE GENERAL TERM. If you don't know basic knowledge of Math, and you have never embraced the fundamental works of military literature. In what world do you think you would cut it as leader of Marines? Why would we trust you with leadership to train and grow Marines when you don't even care enough to train and grow yourself?

If you want to join the military because you want to put in your 100%, then there is a possibility that you can be successful in the military. But if military is just an escape from the reality, then don't bother.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:34 PM

8,854 posts, read 7,340,095 times
The Navy can offer a more variety of job training within a single rating (job). Some jobs don’t translate well to civilian jobs outside of shipping industry. The rating involved in being a ship’s barber must also learn operating industrial laundry equipment, stocking and maintaining vending machines, as well as operating the ship’s store (inventory, ordering, stocking, etc). Engineering jobs in the Navy easily translate to civilian jobs. Welders, plumbers, electricians, hydraulic mechanics, Diesel engine mechanics, electric generator operators, water pumps, air compressors, water distilling, and other jobs are involved in being in engineering department in the Navy. The engineers are also the main ship board firefighters. My time as an engine room machinists mate led to my job in a hospital boiler room, been here 18 1/2 years now.

Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 PM

4,550 posts, read 8,007,554 times
You can be successful in and out of any branch of the Armed Services. The key is to make the best of every situation and take advantage of every opportunity given you.

It is even easier to go in the military and fail so you need to do your part.

I served 26 years in the Navy and it set me up nicely for a civilian career. Any branch can do that though.

I was an Avionics Technician and worked along side Air Force Avionics Technicians. There was no question I was trained better and had much broader training than my Air Force counterparts. They were very specialized and worked on one piece of equipment. I worked on every piece of avionics gear on our aircraft.

When I was stationed at NAS Whidbey Island an Air Force plane made an emergency landing due to loss of communications. I was called out to the aircraft to see if I could troubleshoot the problem. I was in the Navy, working on the radios on an Air Force plane, with four guys standing around watching me. I asked them what they did in the Air Force and they all said "avionics" but none of them knew how to work on radios. 30 minutes later I had their radios working and they were on their way.

The USMC attends many of the same technical schools as the Navy so the USMC may be similar. That said, you can get great training and experience in any branch of the military.

Last edited by LBTRS; 04-27-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,724,996 times
Each branch has it's own history and traditions, strong and weak points. Depends on what you want to do, what you want to learn to do. You have not given enough information to allow anyone to make a definite recommendation, really, except to say "Do what I did, it worked for me!"

Why did you make bad grades in high school? What did you do on SAT? If your grades are low and your SAT is low too, unless you have some other thing going on, services may not even want you.

With no degree, you are looking at enlisted service only, with a degree, you could be an officer. It's possible to enlist, then excel in what you are doing to the point you are offered essentially a college scholarship to come back as an officer. Or at least I have heard of this happening in the past.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:13 PM

9,093 posts, read 3,706,315 times
coast guard/navy so you can become a merchant mariner afterwards...

since he didnt say what he wanted as a career, im picking one out for him

Old 04-28-2018, 11:03 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Poor grades, did terribly in school? You will not score well on the ASVAB, your options will still be limited. You might be able to get into the Army and become an 11b ground pounder/cannon fodder.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:01 PM

8,854 posts, read 7,340,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Poor grades, did terribly in school? You will not score well on the ASVAB, your options will still be limited. You might be able to get into the Army and become an 11b ground pounder/cannon fodder.
Not necessarily. Some people who do bad on school test score well in mechanical aptitude test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or