U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is fair and reasonable regarding 100% disabled VA pay?
Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to the US median household income Ė adjust yearly 2 12.50%
Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to what a member of Congress makes Ė adjust yearly 2 12.50%
Keep 100% disabled veteran pay what it currently is with only minor COLA adjustments 12 75.00%
I have another fair and reasonable suggestion benefiting vets that I will explain in the comment section 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,370,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
For all the patriotism and "pro vet" a good portion of this country is, I must say I am a bit disappointing in the majority of votes at this point. Hopefully things change.
A large part of "Vet Worship" is for the purpose of making oneself feel good because they didn't serve, or to get political points at election time, or to pretend they are more patriotic than the next person, or for pure marketing purposes, or....... The vast majority of veterans find the whole "Vet Worship" rather insulting because we know it has nothing to do with us and everything to do with making the worshiper feel proud of themselves.

The responses you are getting are mostly from veterans themselves and they don't easily fall for "soap box" veteran affair thinking. Sure some are so full of themselves and their service they are worst than politicians, but for the most part military service has created a certain common sense, practical thinking, analyzing the pros and cons, objectives and outcomes while maintaining a certain reality is how many veterans respond to veteran issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 12:56 PM

275 posts, read 225,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That $59,000 number is household income, not individual; disability compensation is for the individual. So the 100% disabled veteran is getting $5600 less than the household income, not individual. Income per capita is around $31,000 gross.
Fair enough. However, if a 100% disabled veteran can't find a companion because of his or her disabilities, then the compensation received IS household income. I suspect there are disabled veterans that lost their legs (or arms or mind) and didn't realize they lost the ability to buy an average home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
For the COLA topic; COLA for every industry, private sector, federal government, etc, has not been keeping pace with, well, the cost of living, in numerous markets, this of course due to the rapid increase in housing costs.
Again, true. But if everyone is getting screwed equally does that make it OK?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:13 PM

12,699 posts, read 12,101,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Fair enough. However, if a 100% disabled veteran can't find a companion because of his or her disabilities, then the compensation received IS household income. I suspect there are disabled veterans that lost their legs (or arms or mind) and didn't realize they lost the ability to buy an average home too.
But the entire basis of the argument is the individual. The OP started by describing the individual, but then made an argument based not on the individual, but on the household. The first post, the 100% veteran is in fact making more, much more, than the per capita income.

If we want to speak to households, then dig up the household income of a 100% veteran so we can compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Again, true. But if everyone is getting screwed equally does that make it OK?
Lol, does not make it ok at all.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 AM

88 posts, read 124,045 times
A Veteran who is rated 100% disabled is also eligible for Social Security Disability. I have been collecting both since 2003.

I can't complain. When you add everything up, Va Disability (Tax free), Social Security Disability, no real estate taxes, free medical for me and my wife (CHAMPVA) it's not too bad.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:33 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
A Veteran who is rated 100% disabled is also eligible for Social Security Disability. I have been collecting both since 2003.

I can't complain. When you add everything up, Va Disability (Tax free), Social Security Disability, no real estate taxes, free medical for me and my wife (CHAMPVA) it's not too bad.
Which is why I say that increasing VA compensation is not an immediate need. Thanks for your service Bill. I do hope your disability isn't so bad that you don't get to enjoy what life has to offer.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:42 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,152,371 times
For the truly no kidding 100% disabled for a service related disability sure I have no problem, totally pro.

Problem is so many vets are getting 30% or more for no real reason at all. I had a boss who was getting 10% because she broke her toe on her cat conveniently before a deployment. Pretty much everyone these days expects their 30% just because. It upsets me.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:49 PM

820 posts, read 486,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
For the truly no kidding 100% disabled for a service related disability sure I have no problem, totally pro.

Problem is so many vets are getting 30% or more for no real reason at all. I had a boss who was getting 10% because she broke her toe on her cat conveniently before a deployment. Pretty much everyone these days expects their 30% just because. It upsets me.

Around 18% of living veterans are documented VA disabled--approximately 3.7 million out of the 20.7 million still alive.

Your one-time boss and all the stories of claim fraud ever repeated since the dawn of the VA are not even a rounding error.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:06 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Quote:

When I retired after 20-years of Active Duty service, I had a retirement physical. They made a big deal of straightening my medical record so it would be easy for the VA to see my injuries. I was told that I should expect at least 30% rating from the VA, for my five disabilities.

That was what I was told by a doctor, so that was what I expected.

When I went to the VA I was not working. I had my pension and investment income. The VA doctors told me that since my disabilities were not inhibiting me from working, I was given a 0% rating for each of them.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:33 PM

12,699 posts, read 12,101,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I retired after 20-years of Active Duty service, I had a retirement physical. They made a big deal of straightening my medical record so it would be easy for the VA to see my injuries. I was told that I should expect at least 30% rating from the VA, for my five disabilities.

That was what I was told by a doctor, so that was what I expected.

When I went to the VA I was not working. I had my pension and investment income. The VA doctors told me that since my disabilities were not inhibiting me from working, I was given a 0% rating for each of them.
A paraplegic can work. The disability is about how it interferes/limits/impacts life activities.

I have 30% plus an additional thing (forget the code it is called). I work just fine, issue is it impacts life activities.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 PM

624 posts, read 324,251 times
Quote:

When I originally went to the VA about 3 years after I got out of the Marines I was just hoping for 0% in all honesty because in CA if you have a rating your kids can go to a UC school for free. Also at the time I was 30 years old and I was just hoping to get my stuff annotated before I was too old and the VA would pull some crap like "so why didn't you come to is sooner about this stuff?".

A lot of people I know just want 30% to help with the Fed hiring process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues