U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is fair and reasonable regarding 100% disabled VA pay?
Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to the US median household income Ė adjust yearly 2 12.50%
Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to what a member of Congress makes Ė adjust yearly 2 12.50%
Keep 100% disabled veteran pay what it currently is with only minor COLA adjustments 12 75.00%
I have another fair and reasonable suggestion benefiting vets that I will explain in the comment section 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM

8,774 posts, read 9,893,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I went to the VA I was not working. I had my pension and investment income. The VA doctors told me that since my disabilities were not inhibiting me from working, I was given a 0% rating for each of them.
Ratings (except unemployability add-on) has nothing to do with employment ability. You have a particular service connected disability and the rating guide determines what percentage it will be based on the medical informational. Nothing to do with employment chances. There are many disabilities that are recognized as service connected but only have a zero disability rating based on the severity at the time of your exam. If the severity of that disability at the time of the exam and based on military medical records only allows for a zero percentage, that's what you get.

Now, nothing says that zero can't go to 10%, 20% or more if the severity has changed since that initial exam, or that the rating guide has modified the rating structure. Additionally, new medical standards could also have changed creating new ratings based on other medical knowledge that wasn't known when you had the exam.

Regardless, if the VA medical team stated to you that the ratings was based on employment, you need to appeal ASAP as that is not the case (unless you're at the rating level where unemployability can make it 100%) and get that mistake corrected immediately..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM

275 posts, read 217,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Ratings (except unemployability add-on) has nothing to do with employment ability. You have a particular service connected disability and the rating guide determines what percentage it will be based on the medical informational. Nothing to do with employment chances. There are many disabilities that are recognized as service connected but only have a zero disability rating based on the severity at the time of your exam. If the severity of that disability at the time of the exam and based on military medical records only allows for a zero percentage, that's what you get.

Now, nothing says that zero can't go to 10%, 20% or more if the severity has changed since that initial exam, or that the rating guide has modified the rating structure. Additionally, new medical standards could also have changed creating new ratings based on other medical knowledge that wasn't known when you had the exam.

Regardless, if the VA medical team stated to you that the ratings was based on employment, you need to appeal ASAP as that is not the case (unless you're at the rating level where unemployability can make it 100%) and get that mistake corrected immediately..
Huh, How about that. Been reading on the web some and it seems like a lot of 100% disabled vets don't know that they can work and still collect disability pension if they do not have a IU (Individual Unemployability) rating. Imagine if no one ever told them. They could have wasted 10, 20, or more years of their life thinking they were not allowed to work. There's probably some kind of compensation if that happens though.

To all the vets here... Thank you for your service.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 PM

8,774 posts, read 9,893,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Huh, How about that. Been reading on the web some and it seems like a lot of 100% disabled vets don't know that they can work and still collect disability pension if they do not have a IU (Individual Unemployability) rating. Imagine if no one ever told them. They could have wasted 10, 20, or more years of their life thinking they were not allowed to work. There's probably some kind of compensation if that happens though.

To all the vets here... Thank you for your service.
VA Disability Pension does have income restrictions and a person receiving VA Disability Pension must be careful as to how much income they are receiving.

VA Disability Compensation has no restrictions on income (although it could impact VA Health care eligibility) sot hey can earn as much as they like even if rated 100%.

VA Disability Compensation for 100% Individual Unemployable could be jeopardized based on the type of employment a person does.

The sad part is all the proper and correct information is widely available from the VA and many VSOs yet way too many veterans still listen to Old Sarge and his understanding of VA stuff. I know many dislike (translation = Don't Trust) what the VA tells them but they generally wont steer a person wrong on disability pension or compensation restrictions or limitations.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:42 AM

165 posts, read 78,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
A Veteran who is rated 100% disabled is also eligible for Social Security Disability. I have been collecting both since 2003.

I can't complain. When you add everything up, Va Disability (Tax free), Social Security Disability, no real estate taxes, free medical for me and my wife (CHAMPVA) it's not too bad.
Years ago my husband and I made a lot of money. Eventually he started showing symptoms of agent orange-related illnesses... cancer, Parkinsons Disease, Lewy Body Dementia, etc. and as it progressed the VA rated him as 100% disabled. He couldn't work, and I had to stop as well because he requires 24/7 care. We moved to a smaller house on one level to make it easier, and we now live on his disability and Social Security, which is about one fifth of what we used to make, but we don't have the expenses that we used to have when we were in business. Truthfully, I feel that the amount that they pay for disability is adequate and we have been able to live on it easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues