U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think is fair and reasonable regarding 100% disabled VA pay?
Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to the US median household income Ė adjust yearly 2 12.50%
Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to what a member of Congress makes Ė adjust yearly 2 12.50%
Keep 100% disabled veteran pay what it currently is with only minor COLA adjustments 12 75.00%
I have another fair and reasonable suggestion benefiting vets that I will explain in the comment section 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 04:10 PM

291 posts, read 160,988 times

Advertisements

Few would argue against the concept that our military veterans served and took care of us, we should take care of them. When I looked at the pay of 100% disabled veterans and compared it to a few things I was shocked.

As of 2018:

The Median household income of the US is: $59,039
A US member of Congress: $174,000

A 100% disabled veteran makes: $35,686

Based on the above numbers:
A 100% disabled veteran makes $23,353 per year ($1,946/month) less than the average median household income
A 100% disabled veteran makes $138,314 per year ($11,526/month) less than a member of congress

I am considering starting a petition regarding increasing veteranís pay to get it at one of the following levels. I would like to know what people in general/you think is fair and reasonable:

1. Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to the US median household income Ė adjust yearly
2. Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to what a member of Congress makes Ė adjust yearly
3. Keep 100% disabled veteran pay what it currently is with only minor COLA adjustments
4. I have another fair and reasonable suggestion benefiting vets that I will explain in the comment section

Please vote above and/or provide your vote number and comment in the comment section below.

Last edited by txbullsfan; 05-02-2018 at 04:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM

4,636 posts, read 4,352,639 times
I think the current amount is reasonable. If a disabled veteran is receiving compensation and is to the point they are not able to work there are many options now for them with other compensation as well. As a current retiree and 40% disabled and I also assist other veterans find help I cannot complain about what they or I receive. Sometimes it is very difficult to get prove you are 100% disabled. I also really don't want to compare what a congressman is making in regard to their job to pay. I would rather see our politicians get paid much less than increasing compensation for veterans. I realize some places it is more expensive and harder to live with less pay but people do adjust. It is apples to diapers in my opinion. Sorry.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:52 PM

29,434 posts, read 46,793,328 times
There are a lot of annual income amounts that do not make sense when compared to the median household income or how much a member of Congress makes, or how much Bill Gates makes.

I am a combat vet who managed to serve for 20-years, I make around $19,000/year.

I am not complaining, it is what it is. I am able to support my family, and I am doing okay.

Talk to people on SS. Consider how much they were making when they were working, and compare that to how much SS pays them once they retired. If they were accustomed to living on their working wages, the shift to living on SS, can be a huge disappointment. The same thing happens when a middle-class worker in the US became disabled and shifts to SSDI, it is not very much money to live on.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:46 PM

8,661 posts, read 7,094,793 times
You also need to factor in cost of healtcare provided without a monthly cost. I’d prefer the VA switch to a health insurance a veteran can take to the doctor or hospital of their choice. But as it stands a veteran with a service connected injury/disability qualifies for health coverage with the VA. Problem lies in coverage for spouse and children. I do believe VA disability and social security (including disability) should have a COLA increase to bring it up to where it would be if Congress had not prevented a valid COLA increase for more than a decade.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM

8,916 posts, read 3,439,203 times
i rather tie it to the military pension that they would have gotten had they not become disabled, based off the position they were in at the time

maybe twice the pension or some other multiplier of it, but a vet is not a "household" nor a "congressman" so why use those as an indicator of compensation? or why not make the pay 100% the cost of a new suv? if going for unrelated items

fyi, your stats on median household income being $60k... the disability pay is > 50% of it, and a household generally has two people contributing to it, so it is already fairly close to what the median household income is after adjusting it to one person

Old 05-04-2018, 11:46 AM

8,774 posts, read 9,867,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
1. Increase 100% disabled veteranís pay to the US median household income Ė adjust yearly
So, are you also suggesting that Disability now becomes taxable just like normal household income?

Old 05-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
i rather tie it to the military pension that they would have gotten had they not become disabled, based off the position they were in at the time

maybe twice the pension or some other multiplier of it, but a vet is not a "household" nor a "congressman" so why use those as an indicator of compensation?
I served with a lot of guys who got banged up and had to leave Active Duty. Most of them lost contact, so I have no idea of what VA rating each of them finally got.

Everyone who serves for 20 years will have accumulated a bunch of aches and bruises. I am not sure that I would support the idea of a VA rating of 100% getting twice the pension though.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I served with a lot of guys who got banged up and had to leave Active Duty. Most of them lost contact, so I have no idea of what VA rating each of them finally got.

Everyone who serves for 20 years will have accumulated a bunch of aches and bruises. I am not sure that I would support the idea of a VA rating of 100% getting twice the pension though.
Question and don't get this wrong. I am not exactly sure I understand. Let me explain why I am confused.

Right now as the law stands a person that receives retired pay by reason of their years of military service or combat-related special compensation cannot collect both if the VA disability rating is 10 to 40%. Those who are at 50% or higher do not get penalized.

VA rating disability is not affected by rank. It is a set amount based on a very odd set of math.

A person's retired pay by reason of their years of military service or combat-related special compensation is based upon rank.

So taking those two things are you saying that a disabled vet who also has a rating should not be able to collect both? Or are you thinking that the disability rating pay scheme is too high because it is twice the compensation of a pension of an E-6 with 20+ years of service?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Question and don't get this wrong. I am not exactly sure I understand. Let me explain why I am confused.

Right now as the law stands a person that receives retired pay by reason of their years of military service or combat-related special compensation cannot collect both if the VA disability rating is 10 to 40%. Those who are at 50% or higher do not get penalized.

VA rating disability is not affected by rank. It is a set amount based on a very odd set of math.

A person's retired pay by reason of their years of military service or combat-related special compensation is based upon rank.
A military pension is based on 'base-pay'. Which for me was a small portion of my paychecks, generally a third of my take-home pay. The pensions are not based on total pay.

Quote:
... So taking those two things are you saying that a disabled vet who also has a rating should not be able to collect both? Or are you thinking that the disability rating pay scheme is too high because it is twice the compensation of a pension of an E-6 with 20+ years of service?
Everyone who is unlawfully fired from the military, and who sues for back-wages will testify that they worked hard and studying for advancement exams. So they should have advanced every 3 years. During my career, There were a few cases where guys were booted out, they sued, and they came back into uniform as E9s. While those of us who served all along were still bottle-necked as E6s or E7s. The Clinton-era 'right-sizing' stopped many people from advancing.

I served honorably for 20-years, I even managed to get an Engineering degree along the way. I never dreamed that I would make it to 20 and still be an E6. The advancement process simply stopped for a while. So I went into retirement with a bit of a chip on my shoulder, over still being an E6.

However my investments worked well, and we are doing fine.

If a worker gets hurt on the job, whether they are a bus driver, or burger flipper, or a combat vet, they should be given the medical care that they need and supported financially by the system.

Should they be paid double of how much another servicemember is paid who served the entire 20-years? The purpose of the 'pension' is to serve as a retainer, military retirees are obligated to serve again if Congress ever calls us up to serve.

If you think that is proper, fine.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 PM

I have no complaint either. I hope you do not think I was saying anything to lower or otherwise demean you. The question had everything to do with basically collecting both at the same time. Was that the double dipping you were thinking on? Or was it on the fact of the actual pay a retiree gets is half of what a person VA rated for 100% P&T?

I know that the retiree pay is based on base pay. All other pay an active soldier gets is additional pay. Many veterans are collecting both VA disability and retirement pay. I am collecting my retired pay which is off-set down to be given to me as VA disability pay. That is because I have a rating of less than 50%. If my rating was 50% or more I would not be losing that from my retirement pay. I was just confused about your line

Quote:

Last edited by oldsoldier1976; 05-04-2018 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: Missed an important point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues