U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:34 PM

4,928 posts, read 2,544,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Aircrew or maintenance field. I no longer want to work behind a desk, it’s not for me at this time in my life. Currently sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day and although nice, I want to be out in the elements. I know the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, but I’ll appreciate it more as I already what staring at a screen all day is.
C-130 loadmaster would be an excellent choice. The last 17 years of my military career were spent in that field. It used to be the best kept secret in the Air Force, but that seems to have changed. I got to travel all over the world and saw about 45 different countries on six continents. I had an awesome career and absolutely loved it. C-130 is the way to go because they go to all the out-of-the-way spots. C-5 and C-17 aircraft only go from big airport to big airport and tend to quick-turn back to their point of origin. I would also pass on boom operator on tankers. All they do is go up and spin orbits for eight or more hours. As for maintenance, we would take a crew chief on a lot of missions, but as aircrew you always have a seat and you get flight pay.

My loadmaster time was spent in the Air Guard. A lot of our loadmasters were selected for flight training and went on to become pilots. As enlisted aircrew you already have an in for a pilot slot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 06:50 PM

1,432 posts, read 282,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
I'm in the process of joining the Air Force. I'm 26 and wanting to change my life. I come from a small town and want to expand my horizons.

Any advice for someone joining at my age, any similar stories?
Good luck but one has to wonder why you took so long to join.

If I were you, I'd try to go straight to officer or warrant officer. No doubt about it.

You're going to be yelled at and bossed around by folks much younger than you and uneducated for a while.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:06 PM

23,398 posts, read 37,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Good luck but one has to wonder why you took so long to join.

If I were you, I'd try to go straight to officer or warrant officer. No doubt about it.

You're going to be yelled at and bossed around by folks much younger than you and uneducated for a while.
The U.S. Air Force no longer has Warrant Officers. I met one of the last ones about 30 years ago.

Old Today, 05:06 PM

4,137 posts, read 4,031,169 times
You will do very well so it's a great decision. Just be very careful on the job you pick. Once you are in and go through the training you are stuck with that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or