Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 05:53 AM

30 posts, read 48,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
What kind of degree do you have? Gonna be a zero? (you know...Officer as in O1, O2 etc vs E1, E2)
Degree in accounting. Enlisting as an E-3. The goal is to spend a couple years on the enlisted side and then drop a green to gold packet to become an officer. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your life will change. You will have many new opportunities. Never give up, just keep going. There will be some in the unit that will help you, look to them. I served 22 years of continuous active duty in the U.S. Army... I was fortunate that five of those years were being stationed at Homestead AFB, FL and Osan Air Base in Korea. I met a lot of people, I traveled a lot, and I would it again, perhaps with some minor changes, but would do it all again...

There is a lot that could be said. I pretty much agree with those who composed this Article im Military.Com:
9 Top Tips About Basic Training
I wish you the best of luck!
That’s what I look forward to the most: traveling and being able to have different jobs throughout my military career. I like frequent change and that’s what draws me to the military more than anything. I think being older gives me a sense of what’s to offer in the civilian world and will make me appreciate military life that much more. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM

601 posts, read 458,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
Degree in accounting. Enlisting as an E-3. The goal is to spend a couple years on the enlisted side and then drop a green to gold packet to become an officer. Any recommendations?
If you enlist, you should be comfortable with the prospect of doing your whole enlistment period as, well, enlisted. Don't assume you'll be a shoo-in for a Green to Gold program. My vague understanding is that those programs tend to be quite selective with very limited numbers of slots. And after two years as junior enlisted you won't have any real leadership experience to make you stand out. Of course it's possible though.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:42 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
There is always a chance...

AirForceTimes.com
Officer training selection rates near 70 percent
By: Stephen Losey   September 30, 2015

Quote:

Nearly 70 percent of the active-duty enlisted airmen and civilians who applied for Officer Training School were selected for the third class to be announced this year, the Air Force said Tuesday.

Of the 272 OTS applications, the Air Force Recruiting Service chose 189, or 69.49 percent, to attend the 15OT03 class at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, which will take place in 2016. Of those selected, 45 are enlisted airmen, and the remaining 144 are civilians.

It is the second class in a row in which the acceptance rate has topped 60 percent. In May, the Air Force said that 65.78 percent of the 599 applicants to attend the 15OT02 class were accepted.
Entire article at: https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...ar-70-percent/

Old 05-09-2018, 05:42 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Finance officers are well thought of and there's always contacting officers. Where are you going enlisted because finance and supply are the paths to those careers.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Finance officers are well thought of and there's always contacting officers. Where are you going enlisted because finance and supply are the paths to those careers.
Aircrew or maintenance field. I no longer want to work behind a desk, it’s not for me at this time in my life. Currently sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day and although nice, I want to be out in the elements. I know the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, but I’ll appreciate it more as I already what staring at a screen all day is.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,189,152 times
Quote:
Aircrew or maintenance field. I no longer want to work behind a desk, it’s not for me at this time in my life. Currently sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day and although nice, I want to be out in the elements. I know the grass isn’t always greener on the other side, but I’ll appreciate it more as I already what staring at a screen all day is.
Start looking at the officer tests now. The most difficult officer test is the one for the navy as it has physics on it. Study for that one.

Have you taken the ASVAB yet? If you study for officer exams, you should get above a 90 on the ASVAB if not a 99.

The better your score, the better your options.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 PM

Okay then Acft Maint it is. Do you get a choice? Do you know what's pulling on your heartstrings? I was an F4 ejection seat mechanic and taught at the Navy AME school. Then I went to the ANG and went to C141 ELEN shop (electrical/environmental). Then I went to the MOCC, then CE because the airplanes got bigger, tool boxes heavier and I got older!! That's when we went to C5's.

If you want outside in elements be a crew chief. If your assigned acft is a cargo bird you'll have a chance to be a flying crew chief. On the other hand loadmaster is pretty awesome, not easy and you'll use your math skills. Plus you'll fly a LOT.
C17's are some of the best acft.

Best wishes!!

Old 05-11-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Okay then Acft Maint it is. Do you get a choice? Do you know what's pulling on your heartstrings? I was an F4 ejection seat mechanic and taught at the Navy AME school. Then I went to the ANG and went to C141 ELEN shop (electrical/environmental). Then I went to the MOCC, then CE because the airplanes got bigger, tool boxes heavier and I got older!! That's when we went to C5's.

If you want outside in elements be a crew chief. If your assigned acft is a cargo bird you'll have a chance to be a flying crew chief. On the other hand loadmaster is pretty awesome, not easy and you'll use your math skills. Plus you'll fly a LOT.
C17's are some of the best acft.

Best wishes!!
I’m leaning towards crew chief but I’m open to any career that gets to fly/travel a lot. Any suggestions? Load master is the dream job, but I know it’s incredible hard to get. I’m looking to travel a lot and mentally intriguing.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 PM

We had some awesome enlisted Flight Engineers but I've heard some acft don't use them. The thing about crew chief is you could get fighters and not travel. If you want your A&P license eventually you'll have half if you go to engine shop or sheet metal. Whatever you do you'll get to travel I'm sure. Also, if you go FAA inspector when you get out, avionics is the only field that gets you out of having your A&P. Hopefully that makes sense.

You might want your first question to be: do any career fields have a bonus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues