U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 05:40 PM

26 posts, read 18,374 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of joining the Air Force. I'm 26 and wanting to change my life. I come from a small town and want to expand my horizons.

Any advice for someone joining at my age, any similar stories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 08:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 9,098,025 times
As a recruiter I see many people your age and older. You will not be alone. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 AM

10,207 posts, read 7,299,340 times
You'll be expected to be able to make mature decisions so don't be a bozo. That's my advice.

I feel you're at an advantage. Try to maintain self-discipline in your professional life. Stay on top of your training requirements. If you don't know what they are ASK. There are people employed to help you with training questions. Get online often and make sure your shop supervisor is doing his part signing off what you need to have signed off. The sooner you get qualified, the better position you'll be in for promotion.

Go to as many schools as possible.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:57 AM

26 posts, read 18,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You'll be expected to be able to make mature decisions so don't be a bozo. That's my advice.

I feel you're at an advantage. Try to maintain self-discipline in your professional life. Stay on top of your training requirements. If you don't know what they are ASK. There are people employed to help you with training questions. Get online often and make sure your shop supervisor is doing his part signing off what you need to have signed off. The sooner you get qualified, the better position you'll be in for promotion.

Go to as many schools as possible.
Thank you both for the encouragement and advice. Its a big step in my life and I'm leaving behind a good paying career. However, after getting my college degree and working in my career for a few years, I felt like I wanted a job that made a difference, a career I could be proud of. Also, I don't enjoy the office environment, sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours. Felt like I was wasting my potential.

I'm ready to stand for something and be apart of something much greater than me. It's good to know that there are people in my shoes. Also, I look forward to traveling... been in the same town for over 20 years...

Old 05-05-2018, 06:15 PM

23,934 posts, read 38,422,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsamadh View Post
I'm in the process of joining the Air Force. I'm 26 and wanting to change my life. I come from a small town and want to expand my horizons.

Any advice for someone joining at my age, any similar stories?
Your life will change. You will have many new opportunities. Never give up, just keep going. There will be some in the unit that will help you, look to them. I served 22 years of continuous active duty in the U.S. Army... I was fortunate that five of those years were being stationed at Homestead AFB, FL and Osan Air Base in Korea. I met a lot of people, I traveled a lot, and I would it again, perhaps with some minor changes, but would do it all again...

There is a lot that could be said. I pretty much agree with those who composed this Article im Military.Com:
9 Top Tips About Basic Training
I wish you the best of luck!

Old 05-05-2018, 08:57 PM

What kind of degree do you have? Gonna be a zero? (you know...Officer as in O1, O2 etc vs E1, E2)

Old 05-05-2018, 09:35 PM

932 posts, read 329,635 times
Excel at your training, keep your mouth SHUT unless spoken directly to you. Eat ,sleep and think about the lessons being taught to you. NEVER get in a fight(unless lesson of the day) unless you have no choice but to protect your person then fight like you never have before. Make sure you are the one left standing. Avoid legal problems at all cost. Military legal problems can mess your life up forever.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:15 AM

If you want to play the game, it's about being a good leader. If your leader is killed in combat or is out of the game for any reason, the next man will have to be the leader. The Marine Corps raises leaders from Day 1. I know you're going AF. (I was Marine Corps then Air Force National Guard) HOWEVER the Marine leadership traits will give you something to ponder. I do understand when Retired in Illinois says keep your mouth shut. However, there's a time to speak up and a good leader doesn't just keep his mouth shut. Never contradict the person in charge. Follow your last order first. So if you've been sent somewhere to get something and are intercepted by another telling you to do something else, you say yes sir and do something else, then try to get back to the first person and let them know what happened, if not complete their errand.

Anyway, here:
The leadership traits are... Justice, Judgment, Dependability, Initiative, Decisiveness, Tact, Integrity, Enthusiasm, Bearing, Unselfishness, Courage, Knowledge, Loyalty, and Endurance.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:20 AM

8,002 posts, read 5,179,149 times
Physical conditioning will be a challenge in basic training. Run two miles a day. Keep it up for your whole career.

Old 05-07-2018, 05:05 AM

282 posts, read 110,049 times
You can join the airforce and be older then that. Not a big problem. Go for it. if I go for broke I might join that as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues