U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-10-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,599 posts, read 17,719,404 times
Reputation: 6248

Advertisements

Does anyone regret leaving the military ? I sometimes think I maybe should of reenlisted because after my ets my life wasn't that great. I did go to the sgt board twice but was turned away both times. I don't think I had a chance at E-5. Had I made sgt I would of changed my mos & requested ft.ord for at least 1 year. I then would of hopefully went back to Germany & got stationed in berlin area or Stuttgart (I wanted to visit both cities but didn't). I didn't like 12B but I did like being a chaplains driver & stationed in Hanau, Germany (near Frankfurt).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Reputation: 5944
You could only have changed MOS or choice of duty assignment not both. I was given that choice as well. That it only applies to the first re-enlistment.

I regret not taking my assignment to Frankfort Germany a little. Not entirely because I passed on that to gain what I feel is a more profitable career. But I got out and went into the national guard to continue uniformed service and a 38 year total career.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2018, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Metropolis IL
1,488 posts, read 1,762,695 times
Reputation: 2133
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Does anyone regret leaving the military ? I sometimes think I maybe should of reenlisted because after my ets my life wasn't that great. I did go to the sgt board twice but was turned away both times. I don't think I had a chance at E-5. Had I made sgt I would of changed my mos & requested ft.ord for at least 1 year. I then would of hopefully went back to Germany & got stationed in berlin area or Stuttgart (I wanted to visit both cities but didn't). I didn't like 12B but I did like being a chaplains driver & stationed in Hanau, Germany (near Frankfurt).
I'm old and retired so the specific question doesn't apply to me, but what strikes me today compared to 30 years ago, is how difficult advancement is. In my day advancement from E-1 through E-6 was a matter of time in service and keeping your nose clean. E-7 and above was difficult. Now it seems every pay grade is difficult.

I recently had my ID card renewed at a small National Guard facility. Chatted with the kid at the desk, and he was lamenting that he couldn't make E-4. He was squared away, well spoken, and didn't appear to be a malcontent.

So back to the original question, I think it's much more difficult today to stay for a career then in the past. The current physical fitness and weight standards alone, would eliminate a bunch of folks from my era.

I don't know if I would stay in, or even have the opportunity to do so, in today's military.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,599 posts, read 17,719,404 times
Reputation: 6248
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
You could only have changed MOS or choice of duty assignment not both. I was given that choice as well. That it only applies to the first re-enlistment.

.
So if I changed my MOS & reenlisted at the same time I could not of asked to be stationed at ft.ord for at least 1 year after I did my AIT training in my new MOS ? My new MOS would of not been in combat arms. The problem is when & where the AIT was & lets say my ets was 2.1.86 & the AIT didn't start until 5.1.86. What happens ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
So if I changed my MOS & reenlisted at the same time I could not of asked to be stationed at ft.ord for at least 1 year after I did my AIT training in my new MOS ? My new MOS would of not been in combat arms. The problem is when & where the AIT was & lets say my ets was 2.1.86 & the AIT didn't start until 5.1.86. What happens ?
No you would not be able to get both choices. You would either get the MOS change or your next duty assignment choice. Now it might be you might get both but it would not be guaranteed. The next duty assignment would be up to the need of the agency.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,599 posts, read 17,719,404 times
Reputation: 6248
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
No you would not be able to get both choices. You would either get the MOS change or your next duty assignment choice. Now it might be you might get both but it would not be guaranteed. The next duty assignment would be up to the need of the agency.
That would be a stinker. I could of ended up anywhere like fort polk or south korea. Those 2 I would of hated. Thanks for the info.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
That would be a stinker. I could of ended up anywhere like fort polk or south korea. Those 2 I would of hated. Thanks for the info.
Ha ha. My first re-enlistment I wanted and received a tour to S Korea. I loved it and spent 2 years on my last tour there and 3 years out of my 10 years of active duty. But I can understand. My nephew just got his orders for 3 years in Hawaii. He is a 25S and got the 1C identifier as well. He is in the top of his class.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Yucaipa, California
9,599 posts, read 17,719,404 times
Reputation: 6248
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
Ha ha. My first re-enlistment I wanted and received a tour to S Korea. I loved it and spent 2 years on my last tour there and 3 years out of my 10 years of active duty. But I can understand. My nephew just got his orders for 3 years in Hawaii. He is a 25S and got the 1C identifier as well. He is in the top of his class.
That is a much better job (communication system operator) then any combat arms jobs. Will his job require much field duty ? I didn't care much for field duty especially in Germany in the winter. Ft.ord wasn't too bad. Hawaii is nice but VERY expensive. My bro in law spent 1 tour in korea in the late 70s. He said he liked it. He was a grunt but was acting as a 64C (driver). He claims he was a acting sgt after only being in the army for a year or so. I didn't know truck drivers were made sgts so quickly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 07:07 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,677 posts, read 4,493,993 times
Reputation: 5944
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
That is a much better job (communication system operator) then any combat arms jobs. Will his job require much field duty ? I didn't care much for field duty especially in Germany in the winter. Ft.ord wasn't too bad. Hawaii is nice but VERY expensive. My bro in law spent 1 tour in korea in the late 70s. He said he liked it. He was a grunt but was acting as a 64C (driver). He claims he was a acting sgt after only being in the army for a year or so. I didn't know truck drivers were made sgts so quickly.
For every infantry soldier there are 5 support soldiers so there are many more openings for careers outside of infantry.

I agree that Hawaii is expensive but.. think of all the surfing he will be able to do or the bike riding to keep in shape. I am very proud of my nephew. I never expected him to follow in my footsteps but I am flattered. He lived with me while he was going through high school and college as his parents divorced and we were the best choice for him to have access to both parents without conflict.

Either way he has chosen a very good career field.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 08:45 AM
 
8,869 posts, read 7,353,342 times
Reputation: 11805
I didnít leave. After 8 years I was forced out. After injuring my shoulder I began to fail the fitness test. The more I tried to exercise to pass the test, the more pain my shoulder gave me. I was in the Navy and saw the majority of the countries in the Mediterranean Sea and I had wanted to continue my enlistment on the west coast to see the Pacific countries and islands. I was lucky to have gotten a ship that went to so many countries. Combining the ports of both ships I saw Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Dubai, Spain, Gibraltar, France, Monaco, Italy, Malta, Greece, Albania, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Tunisia, and Morocco. Some of those countries I wish Iíd never seen and some I wish I could return to visit again.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top