U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-14-2018, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,159 posts, read 3,034,502 times
Reputation: 4304

Advertisements

I have a very close friend, age 92, who saw a lot of action as a BAR man in the 2nd Marine Raider Batallion in 1943 and 1944.
He lives alone, by choice, outside of a small town in Montana.
He has 3 grown children who live in three different states who come to see him on a rotation basis so that one of them sees him every month. He gets along with them quite well.
He gives up very little information re his 18 months in combat and lives a very quiet but comfortable life........however he is showing signs of failing ......
There is a local Marine Corp League in the area, ..however he has never contacted them and does not want to do so.
He will be buried locally next to his wife, .....and I think it would be a terrible shame if the local Marine Corp League is not involved with his funeral.
My question is this:..........should I (anonamosly make the local MCL aware of the situation, so that at the time of his death, he is honored for his service to this country.
Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-14-2018, 10:40 PM
 
11,903 posts, read 11,354,637 times
Reputation: 15963
What do his kids think?

I tend to side with what he wants and displayed (as in he seems not interested in the Marine League) and also curious what his kids have to say.

I myself would never impose such thing on him at his funeral, especially since he has shown he does not want anything to do with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2018, 10:55 PM
 
755 posts, read 140,554 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
What do his kids think?

I tend to side with what he wants and displayed (as in he seems not interested in the Marine League) and also curious what his kids have to say.

I myself would never impose such thing on him at his funeral, especially since he has shown he does not want anything to do with them.

As a former Marine myself, I completely agree with this.
He's aware of the league and has chosen not to associate, why does the OP thin k they know better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,071 posts, read 46,088,939 times
Reputation: 16428
Even without the Marine League, any time that any vet dies you can call the nearest VFW. They will try to setup a nice funeral and graveside service.

I am Chaplain of my VFW post, we do these funerals regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 PM
 
3,740 posts, read 1,640,609 times
Reputation: 2967
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
As a former Marine myself, I completely agree with this.
He's aware of the league and has chosen not to associate, why does the OP thin k they know better?
Its a nice thought on the op's part..........and he is asking opinions..........so it is not like he "thinks he knows better"
Asking the sons is a good idea,,,,,,,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 07:54 PM
 
3,740 posts, read 1,640,609 times
Reputation: 2967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I have a very close friend, age 92, who saw a lot of action as a BAR man in the 2nd Marine Raider Batallion in 1943 and 1944.
He lives alone, by choice, outside of a small town in Montana.
He has 3 grown children who live in three different states who come to see him on a rotation basis so that one of them sees him every month. He gets along with them quite well.
He gives up very little information re his 18 months in combat and lives a very quiet but comfortable life........however he is showing signs of failing ......
There is a local Marine Corp League in the area, ..however he has never contacted them and does not want to do so.
He will be buried locally next to his wife, .....and I think it would be a terrible shame if the local Marine Corp League is not involved with his funeral.
My question is this:..........should I (anonamosly make the local MCL aware of the situation, so that at the time of his death, he is honored for his service to this country.
Opinions please.
My father passed away in 2005.... he may have even known this guy.......too few of them left........Please mention that the son of a Guadalcanal marine says "salute"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM
 
778 posts, read 327,801 times
Reputation: 2024
It could be a matter of modesty. He might not want attention or recognition....even though he deserves it.


Try to speak to him and his sons.. He may just be being modest or shy, or he may really just not want attention.

I'm glad you recognise him as being a great man who deserves recognition but I would run it by his next of kin out of respect for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV
656 posts, read 387,518 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
It could be a matter of modesty. He might not want attention or recognition....even though he deserves it.


Try to speak to him and his sons.. He may just be being modest or shy, or he may really just not want attention.

I'm glad you recognise him as being a great man who deserves recognition but I would run it by his next of kin out of respect for them.
Some combat veterans don't have fond memories of combat. I agree with what you're saying, but some of these guys learned to suppress or bury dark memories and don't want to live it again. It doesn't take much to trigger.

I know it's not the popular psychology of today, but avoiding triggers and suppressing horrible events is just as likely as modesty. I would honor him by honoring his wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,159 posts, read 3,034,502 times
Reputation: 4304
Thanks for the various responses (opinions).

Let me be clear.....I would never take it upon myself to make the decision regarding a military presence at his funeral.
That choice would come from his 3 children(1 son & 2 daughters).......AND several months ago I did briefly mention to his son about the MCL having an active presence in this area. I don't know if the son has had any discussion with his dad or if anything has been decided.
Yes he is a "quiet/somewhat introvert type" who did very well in his law-career and was married for almost 69 yrs.
.
He has taken the death of his wife very hard.
Two things he did make clear to me several yrs ago was that he did not believe in detailed and lengthy obits..........in fact he would be quite satisfied if his read: .... "..........
That is a direct quote from him.
Mr. XXXX XXXXX was born in 1925 and died in 20XX.

The 2nd thing he mentioned was that he joined the Marines the day after he graduated High School and had to provide parental consent since he was not quite 18 yr old.
At this point, I will just continue to be an observer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 04:09 PM
 
9,656 posts, read 6,770,249 times
Reputation: 16807
Please tell him a BAM said Semper Fi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top