U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:12 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,642,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Depends on service, specialty rating or not, and combat zone pay.

I was Navy. Serving on a ship means you either live on a ship or you rent/share an apartment. If you have a family you’ll get additional pay to supplement housing cost. While there are base housing available, it’s not easy to get into and some base homes are a risk to your health. As a single sailor you can save money by living on the ship and eating most of all meals on the ship. I took occasional weekends away at nearby hotels for peace and quiet. The ship and base both have a gym free to access. Living on a ship is hard. You sleep on a 2 inch thick sponge on a rack that is a three bunk high bunk bed only two to three feet across another three racks. Privacy is impossible. Generally ship deployments are 6 months at a time and during those times there is no hotels nor apartments nor restaurants. When pulling into a foreign port you can eat out but no hotels since you have to be back before 2am. If you avoid the alcohol and other traps you can save a good bit of money. One of the traps are car dealerships that advertise as “we finance E-3 and below”. These are usually rip offs. Many a junior enlisted has gone heavily in debt from these groups. Enroll in the Mongomery GI bill. Even if you don’t go to college, you can pass it on to a child who chooses to go to college.
How is the food on the ship? If you are stationed in San Diego, I imagine an apartment share will be expensive like all housing in SoCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 05:13 PM

5,392 posts, read 5,642,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
There's no mystery to military pay and benefits. Not even in pre-internet times. It's just a matter of doing the research. Nobody here or elsewhere is going to be spoon feed you public information.
LOL wow, its an Internet forum. Relax. Plenty people already have. Who cares anyways? So what are we suppose to discuss here anecdotal information? Everything that can be discusses is public. All information can be read from a book.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,148,824 times
Depends on how much you save, where you're stationed, unmarried or married, if you get housing allowance, etc...

I'm sure the poster in the beginning of the thread wouldn't be buying a house at her first duty station if she was in the Navy since first term Sailors are usually never allowed to live off base and collect housing. So it really just depends.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
But, couldn't have done it on a fast food salary or with $100K in student debt, or even making the median income in the US
You are also married to another service member and were able to live off base and collect BAH at your first duty station. That is an extremely rare occurence in the Navy or Marine Corps.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
You are also married to another service member and were able to live off base and collect BAH at your first duty station. That is an extremely rare occurence in the Navy or Marine Corps.
My husband, Army, was able to do that.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think what they were saying was that for E1s thru E3s [in the US Navy] it has always been difficult to get permission to live off-base. Whereas for E5 and above it is fairly easy.

I personally, as an E5 I was able to go to a bank and get a mortgage for an apartment complex. [a Tri-plex in California and a Five-plex in Scotland] After that as an E6 I had no problem living off-base and buying whatever we wanted.

Though we have had tenants of other services, who had issues. The Air Force seemed to always have restrictions on allowing E6 and below to live off-base. They just were not paid enough to be able to afford it.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:40 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,486,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I think what they were saying was that for E1s thru E3s [in the US Navy] it has always been difficult to get permission to live off-base. Whereas for E5 and above it is fairly easy.

I personally, as an E5 I was able to go to a bank and get a mortgage for an apartment complex. [a Tri-plex in California and a Five-plex in Scotland] After that as an E6 I had no problem living off-base and buying whatever we wanted.

Though we have had tenants of other services, who had issues. The Air Force seemed to always have restrictions on allowing E6 and below to live off-base. They just were not paid enough to be able to afford it.
They spend a lot to do that and keep them on base.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Was he married?

I should have clarified and said single Sailors and Marines will have a very hard time living off base on their first tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or