U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 684 times

Advertisements

My son graduation from college and is wanting to apply for Officer Training School.

He met with his recruiter the end of March. The recruiter has very little contact with him. My son turned in his MEPS application and all his medical records about a month ago. He asked the recruiter about the status of it a couple weeks ago and he said "be patient".

Well, now another two weeks has passed and my son texted him yesterday about the status and has not received a reply. He has also texted another recruiter in that same office in the past and never gets a reply from them either.

Am I missing something or is this a BAD recruiter/office?

I am also confused about what the steps are to join. If anyone could help me understand would be much appreciated! My son hasn't filled out the complete application yet but has all the required documents to attached with it (references, college transcript, SAT/ACT scores, etc). He's just waiting to find out when he can get the MEPS part taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 03:00 PM

24,157 posts, read 38,951,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn6864 View Post
I am also confused about what the steps are to join. If anyone could help me understand would be much appreciated! My son hasn't filled out the complete application yet but has all the required documents to attached with it (references, college transcript, SAT/ACT scores, etc). He's just waiting to find out when he can get the MEPS part taken care of.
See if this helps: https://influencer.marines.com/rmi/influencers

Old 05-24-2018, 03:01 PM

32,165 posts, read 39,263,926 times
Is the recruiter an officer recruiter? That does make a difference in how things are handled. Typically they're also officers and not enlisted.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 684 times
Yes, he is an officer recruiter.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:59 PM

3,200 posts, read 9,249,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynn6864 View Post
My son graduation from college and is wanting to apply for Officer Training School.

He met with his recruiter the end of March. The recruiter has very little contact with him. My son turned in his MEPS application and all his medical records about a month ago. He asked the recruiter about the status of it a couple weeks ago and he said "be patient".

Well, now another two weeks has passed and my son texted him yesterday about the status and has not received a reply. He has also texted another recruiter in that same office in the past and never gets a reply from them either.

Am I missing something or is this a BAD recruiter/office?

In our local Air Force Officer recruiting office it can take 2-4 weeks to get a reply, and up to 2 years to complete an application because of supply and demand. 1000000s of people with degrees, extremely limited openings.

Recruiters are only human and can't work 130 hours a week. In my experience, OFFICER recruiters are few and far between because there aren't a lot of hiring needs, so they do the best the can. Enlisted recruiters are much more plentiful and responsive.

Perhaps you son is not competitive due to his major, GPA, or medical conditions, or perhaps the recruiter is on vacation, or perhaps they don't need officers.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:47 PM

10,416 posts, read 7,504,380 times
Also I believe they like to have all the stars aligned before they pull the trigger. I hope he's patient because the Marines don't really treat their people all that great. If he's not going to be a pilot - anyway, best wishes and Semper fi.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:41 PM

48 posts, read 15,851 times
He should join the navy

Old 05-28-2018, 01:11 PM

4,727 posts, read 4,848,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLove12 View Post
He should join the navy
Listen. Someone needs to sit this person down and provide some information about all of the military services.

Things such as living conditions, pay, promotions, duty assignments, types of MOS, etc.

The Marine Corps has the lowest budget of all services. Has the fewest chances of promotion. Promotion equals pay increases.

Have this person interview with Air Force, Navy, Army, and Coast Guard - in that order.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:58 PM

974 posts, read 355,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Listen. Someone needs to sit this person down and provide some information about all of the military services.

Things such as living conditions, pay, promotions, duty assignments, types of MOS, etc.

The Marine Corps has the lowest budget of all services. Has the fewest chances of promotion. Promotion equals pay increases.

Have this person interview with Air Force, Navy, Army, and Coast Guard - in that order.

BIG ditto !!

Old 05-29-2018, 05:38 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,497,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

I might be biased and I agree with everything you wrote except one. He should interview in this order. AF Navy Coast Guard and Army. I say army last because if he is desirable in the least Army will offer them a signing bonus. There are more opportunities for advancement in the Army and while all the other services are valuable, until the army is on the ground the rest of the services are just buzzing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or