Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 AM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with our granddaughter. She told me that her father (POS) cut her and her step-sibs out of his will and cut them off completely (Girlfriend wants to get married)

Background: Previously married with 2 kids (our step grand kids) Married while in, and out, of the Navy for +/- 10 years.

Married our daughter and was in Army for over 10 years while serving in Kosovo, Gulf war l and ll. (Married 19 years total) He has severe TBI and PTSD (which I believe enabled witch to control his thinking processes)

When our daughter threw the POS (because she caught him cheating with the witch that has her talons in him now) out the divorce lawyer said our daughter eligible for his pension.

Question, does any of this change???? Does she still get his pension???

Thanks

Totally separate issue. When he transitioned out, he used his GI Bill to pay for college for him. Lasted a few months and dropped school.

He told our granddaughter that that used up his benefits and nothing there for her. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 01:38 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I just got off the phone with our granddaughter. She told me that her father (POS) cut her and her step-sibs out of his will and cut them off completely (Girlfriend wants to get married)

Pension? to daughter? No pension. He can do what he wants with is money. Nothing a grown daughter or son can argue

Background: Previously married with 2 kids (our step grand kids) Married while in, and out, of the Navy for +/- 10 years.

Married our daughter and was in Army for over 10 years while serving in Kosovo, Gulf war l and ll. (Married 19 years total) He has severe TBI and PTSD (which I believe enabled witch to control his thinking processes)

When our daughter threw the POS (because she caught him cheating with the witch that has her talons in him now) out the divorce lawyer said our daughter eligible for his pension.

Question, does any of this change???? Does she still get his pension???

If you are talking about VA disability check that is different.

Thanks

Totally separate issue. When he transitioned out, he used his GI Bill to pay for college for him. Lasted a few months and dropped school.

He told our granddaughter that that used up his benefits and nothing there for her. Is this true?
GI Bill for education belongs to the service member. He can give it to a spouse or children but he is not mandated to do so.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:48 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Does he have the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) authorized for his military pension? If so, who is listed as Beneficiary(s)?
IF he has SBP, the beneficiary(s) will get 55% of his pension upon his death.
If he does not have SBP, nobody gets anything.

At least, that is what I understand. I could be wrong. I am a military retiree, and I do have SBP.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Does he have the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) authorized for his military pension? If so, who is listed as Beneficiary(s)?

At least, that is what I understand. I could be wrong. I am a military retiree, and I do have SBP.
I don't think 10 years is enough to qualify for a military pension so I am leaning towards it being VA Disability. If it is a pension then it will only go to spouse or and I am not sure a disabled child with no ability to be able to work.

If it is the VA Disability that the OP is talking about then There is even less standing unless there is a court order for child support.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
No one finds it disturbing that the OP doesn't care at all about the ex soldier? He just wants to pick his bones clean of his benefits?

Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

Just got off the phone with our daughter. The pension split, Survivor Benefit Plan, was determined by the court in the divorce, She knows that his disability is untouchable. .Your reassurance made me feel much better......

I feel so sorry for our granddaughter and step sibs.....To see their father turn into this. I know a lot is because of his mental condition. But, what kind of person does this to his own children??

Thank you all for your help, I truly appreciate it

Mike

Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No one finds it disturbing that the OP doesn't care at all about the ex soldier? He just wants to pick his bones clean of his benefits?
We supported him throughout his many deployments. In fact, our entire social network did. There wasn't a week where he didn't get two or three packages from us and our friends.

Absolutely not the case. We supported him through private MDs when his twisted mind believed that the VA was out to get him. That was before and after the divorce.

Up until today, after learning what he did to his kids, I spoke to him constantly and helped him with other medical and mental issues.

After learning what he did to his own children today, I now do not care about him in any way. He let a gutter trash woman twist hid decaying mind even more than the IEDs.

He made his bed, now he has to lay in it. I'm finished with him. I did all that I can do and then some!

Now, I only want what's legally due my daughter when his time runs out

And, I hope that's a long time in the future. I do not wish him ill, I sincerely hope he gets his physical and mental issues fixed so he can leave a long and happy life.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
being a vet doesn't excuse them from their ****ty actions, nor does it excuse them from any other divorce laws

being married and being a good husband has no relation to his service, he didn't cheat out of duty for country

Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
I don't believe she will be able to collect only because they were not married for a full 20 years, while he was on active duty.

The 10/15/20 rule was changed at some point (I think it effect's anyone who joined in the late 80's to current). So even if they were married for over 19 years while he was active duty, she still won't meet the full 20 to qualify.

I personally disagree with the rule change but it is what it is.

ETA: If he was "in and out" of the military for only 10 years then he won't get retirement either. Also, if he used his GI bill then he can not transfer it.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I don't believe she will be able to collect only because they were not married for a full 20 years, while he was on active duty.

The 10/15/20 rule was changed at some point (I think it effect's anyone who joined in the late 80's to current). So even if they were married for over 19 years while he was active duty, she still won't meet the full 20 to qualify.

I personally disagree with the rule change but it is what it is.

ETA: If he was "in and out" of the military for only 10 years then he won't get retirement either. Also, if he used his GI bill then he can not transfer it.
A spouse does not have to be married for 20 years. They only have to be married for 10 years for the army to split the pension in any divorce. The VA disability has pieces of it for family but that is peanuts. My VA spousal is an additional $75.00 a month out of my $660.00. not a lot to split out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues