Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 06:47 AM

4 posts, read 3,361 times

Advertisements

I was looking for guidance and opinions on what people thought of joining the Army as a 30 year old. I currently work as a teacher, and I was hoping to get advice on what I should do as far as enlisting. I do not have a wife or kids and no ties to my local area. I was in the process of joining the military as a 22 year old but an injury in college put the process on hold, and I joined the work force as a teacher. I have done research and understand that I would be taking orders from officers that were 8-10 years younger than I am. It would be difficult, but it is something I can live with and get past. What advice would you give me as far as choosing my path? I was leaning towards an 11 contract, but after doing some research it seems as if a 35M or 35L would also suit my skill set. I know that I am older than most enlisted men, but any advice or sharing of personal experiences would be great. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 06:57 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,295,710 times
I'm an Air Force recruiter so I can't speak specifically to the Army, but I know for us, your age is not at all unusual. You might be able to apply as an officer in the Army (not the Air Force right now), so that could help. Or, you'll start with rank due to having a degree, even if it's enlisted. You won't be the only one in your 30s in boot camp. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the response. Would you recommend going infantry or try something in the intelligence field? Just your personal opinion. I am also looking to go active duty.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:33 AM

12,074 posts, read 23,162,524 times
Why are you leaning towards the 11 series? Infantry is a young man's game, especially if you are junior enlisted. Do something in which you can get a skill that will easily transition back into the civilian market.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:36 AM

That is why I was leaning towards the 35M or 35L.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,599,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington302 View Post
Thanks for the response. Would you recommend going infantry or try something in the intelligence field? Just your personal opinion. I am also looking to go active duty.
Why are you considering infantry field? Is it the big chunk of money they are offering?

I am retired Army. Originally drafted. Retired at 22 years in the intelligence field after holding several MOS's, to include 71L...

I would recommend you consider the MOS which has the longest AIT that you qualify for.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:58 AM

I looked over the different codes for the Army and I wasn't sure which MOS I would be best prepared for based on my experience. Just wanted to get people's opinions and feedback from their own experiences or friends experiences. I have been intrigued by the 35 series, especially 35M and 35L, but I am not sure I want to get stuck behind a desk. From what I understand, a lot of the intelligence jobs can be a lot of paperwork and desk time. This is from what I have read and through my own research. Any personal experiences and information would be appreciated!

Old 05-31-2018, 10:21 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,818,490 times
Can you run a mile in under 10 minutes?

Can you walk 20 miles carrying a full backpack, canteen belt, rifle and ammo, with only a couple of 5 minute breaks without collapsing?

Are you willing to go to some war torn country and get shot at/kill people?

Understand that, whatever you sign up for, the military can still send you where it wants to send you and have you do what it wants you to do.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:48 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,599,992 times
Quote:
I looked over the different codes for the Army and I wasn't sure which MOS I would be best prepared for based on my experience.
If you have the aptitude, you will be trained for the job. I recommend you select the school which you can are of the longest duration...

Quote:
From what I understand, a lot of the intelligence jobs can be a lot of paperwork and desk time. This is from what I have read and through my own research. Any personal experiences and information would be appreciated!
I was in the intelligence field about 17 years of my 22 year career. I was TDY over 500 days during a five year period, never being in one spot more than four days. Most of that TDY was OCONUS Yes, I cranked out a lot of paper... I was assigned to overseas assignments, 72 months total on three assignments. Overseas assignments have some advantages, the day you get there you will know when your tour is over...

Good luck to you.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:25 PM

3,011 posts, read 6,290,147 times
Quote:
I was looking for guidance and opinions on what people thought of joining the Army as a 30 year old. I currently work as a teacher, and I was hoping to get advice on what I should do as far as enlisting. I do not have a wife or kids and no ties to my local area. I was in the process of joining the military as a 22 year old but an injury in college put the process on hold, and I joined the work force as a teacher. I have done research and understand that I would be taking orders from officers that were 8-10 years younger than I am. It would be difficult, but it is something I can live with and get past. What advice would you give me as far as choosing my path? I was leaning towards an 11 contract, but after doing some research it seems as if a 35M or 35L would also suit my skill set. I know that I am older than most enlisted men, but any advice or sharing of personal experiences would be great. Thanks for any help.
Definitely take that factor into consideration, as I know some people who not only have a hard time taking orders from younger people, but women as well. Sounds like you won't, though. I'm an enlisted veteran but work for the Feds now. My boss is younger, female and someone I have a great deal of respect for. As long as your superiors treat you with respect and lead by example, age doesn't mean a thing. if you are younger AND know your stuff and can lead, I want you to be my boss.

Get into a field where your skills and experience will be transferable back to the civilian sector. Yes, many begin with infantry, but change fields later on.

If you enter at this age, you may as well aim to be an officer with your college degree, as well as do the full 20 and when you get out, you will still be relatively young for other career options such as federal government and/or government contracting. Being a retired officer with an in-demand skill will make you marketable, especially in the DC Metro area. Who knows, maybe you won't like active, but can always switch to reserves, and vice-versa.

I'll say this..sometimes I wish I had waited until I was a bit older to join, rather than take the route I did of going in right after high school. I was physically fit and had no trouble getting through Marine Corps boot camp. it was after boot camp when I partied and when I went overseas for the first time, I went wild and tore it up, lol. At the time, I wasn't mature in that regard, but eventually settled down.

I don't know if you workout or are on a fitness routine but it will help for sure in terms of boot camp or OCS prep.

Good luck and also, while 20 years may seem like a long time, it's not. While focusing on whatever career you wind up in, you should plan for your retirement from day 1, odd as that sounds and by that, I mean save as much as you can. Good luck.

Last edited by Gil3; 05-31-2018 at 01:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues