U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 09:32 AM

8,428 posts, read 6,879,494 times

Advertisements

What era you served and what little things you enjoyed receiving from home? I served 1990-1998 in the Navy. Some things I enjoyed included the hometown Sunday paper, favorite brand of coffee (Louisiana brand coffee called Community), and a tape recording of my favorite hometown radio show. No internet, no email, no video games, no satellite tv, and no phone service. Hand written letters were a big welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 09:39 AM

3,068 posts, read 8,825,573 times
Oh gosh, in today's world, we just order whatever we miss from Amazon. Amazon even delivers to Afghanistan. No one sends packages anymore :-(

Old 06-02-2018, 09:42 AM

23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Oh gosh, in today's world, we just order whatever we miss from Amazon. Amazon even delivers to Afghanistan. No one sends packages anymore :-(
I was thinking Amazon Prime. We use that to send gifts to all friends and family who are not local...

Old 06-02-2018, 09:48 AM

3,343 posts, read 2,644,300 times
Vietnam era Marine Corps. My home town newspaper had a special condensed version of local news that could be clipped out, folded and mailed to service people overseas. Mom would send to me on a regular basis.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:48 AM

4,943 posts, read 5,769,723 times
Old news now from the early 1980s, but when I was Bn ADJ and S1 the thing that got the most morale boost from the troops when deployed was mail and movies. So I would set up a field post office and make arrangements from MWR for projector and rotated films.

During Desert Storm in the early 1990s it was M&Ms, they didn't melt in the desert heat. and salty nuts because you would get dehydrated without knowing it and the nuts forced you to drink water.

the thing I appreciated when OCONUS was the hometown newspaper and my sister's home made cookies.

Nowadays with all the electronics and comms capability, it doesn't seem like much is needed. and that is the shame, because it was the contact from home and loved ones more than the actual item.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:50 AM

30,684 posts, read 17,389,288 times
I sent Meal enhancers. Anything that can be mixed with MREs.

I also sent them medicated foot powder, a lot of 100% cotton socks and underwear. Name brand coffee, etc.

Don't forget to send some Size AA and D batteries.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:55 AM

23,466 posts, read 37,367,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Old news now from the early 1980s, but when I was Bn ADJ and S1 the thing that got the most morale boost from the troops when deployed was mail and movies. So I would set up a field post office and make arrangements from MWR for projector and rotated films.

During Desert Storm in the early 1990s it was M&Ms, they didn't melt in the desert heat. and salty nuts because you would get dehydrated without knowing it and the nuts forced you to drink water.

the thing I appreciated when OCONUS was the hometown newspaper and my sister's home made cookies.

Nowadays with all the electronics and comms capability, it doesn't seem like much is needed. and that is the shame, because it was the contact from home and loved ones more than the actual item.
It reminded me that a unit member had a sister who worked in a US TV station. She would send us the latest US TV commercials... We had movies and commercials from AFRN. But Car, Candy, Store, etc commercials fresh from the US could not be beat.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:16 AM

4,943 posts, read 5,769,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It reminded me that a unit member had a sister who worked in a US TV station. She would send us the latest US TV commercials... We had movies and commercials from AFRN. But Car, Candy, Store, etc commercials fresh from the US could not be beat.
yes, that reminds me, folks back home would videotape the latest TV shows and send to relatives OCONUS. We would watch the tape and pass it to our coworkers. Some of those really made the rounds. AFN is great but not usually up to date at that time.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,145,963 times
Viet Nam 1970-1972. Besides letters from my Mom, she would also send the latest issues of MAD Magazine. Had to have something to laugh about while I was in hell.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:35 PM

1,511 posts, read 2,851,993 times
I was Army in the mid 80s and DH was Army mid 80s - 2008. When we were in Frankfurt in '85-87 there were stupid things like fruity pebbles and skittles (available, but sold out before most could get to the PX, Comm or shopette).

Pennies were also well liked since they were just not in rotation.

When DH was away from home (school, Korea, Desert Storm) letters were cherished. We have tins full of letters back and forth and DH I'll occasionally read some to me.

Care packages contained favorite things: candies, sodas, pictures and letters from the kids and homemade stuff that he had requested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or