U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 06:56 AM

118 posts, read 168,030 times

Advertisements

Good Morning,

As the title states, has anyone on here retired near Offutt AFB? I start terminal the end of November and will be moving back to Iowa in June '19 with my family. My wife has a commissary GS job right now at Sheppard AFB and has the opportunity to transfer if need be. How is the commissary? How is the pharmacy? Anyone live on the Iowa side but drive to the Nebraska side for work?

Any hep would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 11:06 AM

17,848 posts, read 9,795,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
Good Morning,

As the title states, has anyone on here retired near Offutt AFB? I start terminal the end of November and will be moving back to Iowa in June '19 with my family. My wife has a commissary GS job right now at Sheppard AFB and has the opportunity to transfer if need be. How is the commissary? How is the pharmacy? Anyone live on the Iowa side but drive to the Nebraska side for work?

Any hep would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
I'm not retired in the Omaha area, but Offutt was my first duty station in 1973, my last duty station when I retired in 2000, and I had a tour there in between. Offutt has long been a major base: Sight of heavy bomber construction during WWII, Headquarters of the Strategic Air Command through the Cold War, and now headquarters of the Strategic Command. Constellations of generals, flocks of colonels. This is the base where President Bush took refuge in the hours of confusion on 9/11. It's a nice base, well accommodated with lots of good facilities. The base medical facility is large, the pharmacy is large, the commissary is large, good recreational facilities.

The retired community around Offutt is also very large. In fact, it's so large that it's a local political constituency. Nebraska's state office of veteran's affairs ain't there just for show; they actually fight the Air Force for the sake of veterans.

Frankly, Iowa is considered the poor side of the river, particularly the city of Council Bluffs. The suburban-ish towns to the west and northwest of Offutt/Bellevue are considered better areas to live. The money moves westward.

OTOH, if you don't mind country-ish living, there are probably some districts across the river immediately east of Bellevue (don't wander northward) toward Glenwood, IA, where prices are low and living may be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or