U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 12:48 PM

29,573 posts, read 47,099,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Submariner,

Definitely remember you writing that nukes getting bonuses above their base pay. I think though that you even went above and beyond that, to the extent that base pay was maybe just 1/2 of your total wage?
I was never a nuke. I served as a Navigation ET. My school pipeline took 18 months before I hit the fleet. So it is similar to the nuke program.

During most of my career, my base-pay was around 1/3 of my total take-home pay.

During most of my career, I got:
BAQ,
BAS,
COLA, VHA,
Sub pay,
Career sub pay,
Sea pay,
Career sea pay,
Sea pay kicker,
Female separation pay,
All in addition to base pay.

In addition to those pays, my SRB ran between $60 and $65k, every four years. In the 1970s crewmen were given their full SRB in a single check at the re-enlistment ceremony. I knew a number of guys who were able to spend their entire SRB in a single week. One friend of mine bought a Camaro and wrecked it on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on the second or third day he owned the car. Getting big SRB checks encouraged too much binge drinking.

In around 1980 that policy was changed, and now you get 50% of your SRB in one check at your re-enlistment ceremony, and the remainder is divided up into annual installment checks that you get the following four years.

In 2001 the SRB cap was bumped to $90k.

After spending years inside that specific community echo chamber I had a narrative that assumed all US servicemembers were paid roughly the same. But then we had some tenants who were in the Air Force, and they were only getting base-pay. Even with apartments off-base they were not authorized all the allowances for living off-base [BAQ, BAS, COLA, VHA] that I was getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 03:23 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,703,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I was never a nuke. I served as a Navigation ET. My school pipeline took 18 months before I hit the fleet. So it is similar to the nuke program.

During most of my career, my base-pay was around 1/3 of my total take-home pay.

During most of my career, I got:
BAQ,
BAS,
COLA, VHA,
Sub pay,
Career sub pay,
Sea pay,
Career sea pay,
Sea pay kicker,
Female separation pay,
All in addition to base pay.

In addition to those pays, my SRB ran between $60 and $65k, every four years. In the 1970s crewmen were given their full SRB in a single check at the re-enlistment ceremony. I knew a number of guys who were able to spend their entire SRB in a single week. One friend of mine bought a Camaro and wrecked it on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel on the second or third day he owned the car. Getting big SRB checks encouraged too much binge drinking.

In around 1980 that policy was changed, and now you get 50% of your SRB in one check at your re-enlistment ceremony, and the remainder is divided up into annual installment checks that you get the following four years.

In 2001 the SRB cap was bumped to $90k.

After spending years inside that specific community echo chamber I had a narrative that assumed all US servicemembers were paid roughly the same. But then we had some tenants who were in the Air Force, and they were only getting base-pay. Even with apartments off-base they were not authorized all the allowances for living off-base [BAQ, BAS, COLA, VHA] that I was getting.
Yeah - you really did well with all the extra additional bonuses, and managed your money really well - I remember that. So your Base was only 1/3 of your total take? Is that pretty common with someone with your ratings, or is this well beyond the norm?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:33 PM

29,573 posts, read 47,099,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Yeah - you really did well with all the extra additional bonuses, and managed your money really well - I remember that. So your Base was only 1/3 of your total take? Is that pretty common with someone with your ratings, or is this well beyond the norm?
Within the sub fleet this is the norm.

Keep in mind that a third of the crew are nukes. Non-nukes are called 'coners', not all coners get the good SRB levels, but we all get the rest of it.

If you are deployed 7 months a year, you still need to maintain a place for all your extra stuff [wife, kids, civilian clothing, car, stereo] that can not fit on the boat. So you are paid extra allowances to cover rent/mortgage.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:00 PM

405 posts, read 149,688 times
OP - regardless of your decision, make sure you go all in....no looking back. I loved my time in the service and 38 years years later, I still have good memories but in that same period, I earned two degrees, worked for the same company for 33 years (and still going!) and loved the life we’ve built.

Had I stayed in, I’m fairly certain I would be just as happy as I am today but obviously, it would have been on a different path. Sounds like you have a lot of tools and options so either way, you’ll be fine! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or