U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,928,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
My complaint with the retiree system for the spouse is the ID card. While the retiree gets a permanent retiree card, the spouse has to keep renewing every four years and will not receive a permanent retiree card until age 75 no matter how long the marriage! This is what I find ridiculous, that the arbitrary age is set to 75! We live at least an hour and half from a base and it's a huge nuisance to have to make the trip to renew the ID card, age 65 would be fine, when you start Medicare benefits, NOT 75! I'd sure like to to who came up with that asinine idea!
DH retired in 08 and I last renewed my ID in 16. I am going to be 53 this year and my ID card states "indefinite".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I had to ask my wife. I have had Tricare for Life for 10 years. It has worked out very well...
I have TFL that works with Medicare which is great since my medical care is so extensive and my need for DME (medical equipment) alone runs to 6 figures. I am so lucky that I am also able to receive services in the Post clinics.

Hopefully, the system manages to stay intact.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:07 PM

4 posts, read 1,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalabran View Post
Been married 32yrs, retired military 5 years we live next to a base and use that healthcare as our primary provider.

If you compare it to insurance I'm the primary and my wife is listed as a dependent for her care. If I die first she will continue to be eligible and will actually become the primary.
Currently for medical care on base I pay about $47/mo to be Tricare Prime this gets me care similar to that received on active duty. If I'm seen on base, no copay, if referred to outside provider I usually have a copay.

SBP (Survivor Benefit Plan) my wife is eligible to receive 55% of my retirement pay (if I die first)
In order for my wife to receive 55% of my retired pay I have to pay every month similar to a life insurance policy. It's a certain percentage/fraction out of my monthly retirement pay about $250/month.

Exchange and Commissary benefit continues past my death as well.

My daughter receives this health care as well until she is 18 or 23 if she stays in college. Per the OCA (Obama care) I can keep her on my Tricare until she is 26 but the premium will (I think) be about $300/month.
Any thoughts on the SBP for those of us about to retire as a Reservist and will be in that "Grey Area" for several years until start collecting Retirement Pay at age 60? I'm former Active Duty and finishing up 20 years in the Reserves. Will retire soon and want to make sure that if anything happens to me, my wife can still collect some portion of the retirement pay due to me beginning at age 60.

Thanks in advance...

Old 06-28-2018, 07:54 AM

383 posts, read 1,114,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
DH retired in 08 and I last renewed my ID in 16. I am going to be 53 this year and my ID card states "indefinite".
Interesting....

Hmm, I renewed mine last year and only get two years this time because it has to be renewed again when I go on Medicare/TFL. DH retired in 02, after 30 yrs., and I've been having to renew every four years, which is so inconvenient! Something is amiss here, perhaps I was told the wrong info, maybe they're getting it all wrong.

This is what I found on a quick search:

"Permanent ID Cards for Those Age 75 and Over and Incapacitated Dependents

A permanent U.S. uniformed services ID card is available for all eligible uniformed services family members and survivors of deceased personnel who are age 75 and over or incapacitated. " from the MOAA website

The age of 75 is still a stupid, stupid requirement!

Last edited by Ynot; 06-28-2018 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
Interesting....

Hmm, I renewed mine last year and only get two years this time because it has to be renewed again when I go on Medicare/TFL. DH retired in 02, after 30 yrs., and I've been having to renew every four years, which is so inconvenient! Something is amiss here, perhaps I was told the wrong info, maybe they're getting it all wrong.

This is what I found on a quick search:

"Permanent ID Cards for Those Age 75 and Over and Incapacitated Dependents

A permanent U.S. uniformed services ID card is available for all eligible uniformed services family members and survivors of deceased personnel who are age 75 and over or incapacitated. " from the MOAA website

The age of 75 is still a stupid, stupid requirement!
I am not sure what happened, I was fully disabled before DH retired and had to renew ID twice before I received my indefinite card. I am not going to ask, however, in case someone did me a favor and asking might get the card yanked.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:31 AM

383 posts, read 1,114,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I am not sure what happened, I was fully disabled before DH retired and had to renew ID twice before I received my indefinite card. I am not going to ask, however, in case someone did me a favor and asking might get the card yanked.
You don't have to worry, your disability qualified you for a permanent - I guess your cloud with a silver lining! Maybe "they" calculated the age of 75 would result in fewer permanent cards issued, or maybe give us dependents something to strive for.....

Old 06-29-2018, 06:37 PM

Ynot~

I just don't understand why I had to renew my ID twice (4 years apart) when I was completely disabled before DH even retired. Still not going to ask since the Army giveth and the Army can taketh away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or