U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:39 AM

8,193 posts, read 8,197,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Not as far fetched as some believe. Satellites can be used as a foreign nationís military target against USA and they can develop and launch weaponized satellites to not only attack our nationís satellites, but also use it as a weapon against certain buildings. Imagine targeting a satellite to crash land into the White Hoise or Pentagon. Specific satellites for US military could be targeted. Communications and weather satellites could also be targeted. They may not be space marines like in science fiction film, but they may be more like Air Force desk jockeys using joystick or keyboard controls to fight in space.

Finally a serious comment.

Air Force already does this. Air Force Space Command > Home

I'd imagine a Space Force would simply role in the AFSC tasks as it's own separate branch and expand over the coming decades as human space flight develops. Less "space marines" and more ballistic missle and satellite tracking...for now. The idea is to advance technologically right? Is now the right time? Who knows but you have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 01:37 PM

4,617 posts, read 4,275,492 times
Many of us here grew up in a house that might have had a B/W TV if we even had a home. We grew up with out computers and cell phones. We watched the Jetson's predict the changes we would have by this century. Some are here other's are not but we are not far from having that "Space Force". I am no Trump supporter. But I do know that the Air Force and the Army now control the birds that orbit the planet. My nephew has his "Space Badge". The attachment is my nephew's chest. On it above the pocket is the Air Force and now Army "Space Badge". My nephew's job is to control those satellites from his new duty station of Hawaii. Pretty slick.
Attached Thumbnails
President orders new military branch: Space Force-space-badge-amy-air-force.jpg  

Old 06-20-2018, 06:48 PM

2,391 posts, read 553,287 times
Friend of mine at work said the rank should include “Stargeant” (instead of sergeant)

Old 06-20-2018, 07:27 PM

16,766 posts, read 9,121,041 times
Although in all reality there is no practical reason why there should be a separate space force, it's likely the Air Force pilot-oriented policymaking bureaucracy was keeping Space Command throttled. "Things that shoot get priority over things that don't." An Air Force agency that isn't for pilots is going to get short-shrift every time.

However, let's remember that it takes an act of Congress to actually create a separate military service.

Last edited by toosie; 06-21-2018 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: Deleted quoted post

Old 06-20-2018, 08:16 PM

4,958 posts, read 5,806,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Although in all reality there is no practical reason why there should be a separate space force, it's likely the Air Force pilot-oriented policymaking bureaucracy was keeping Space Command throttled. "Things that shoot get priority over things that don't." An Air Force agency that isn't for pilots is going to get short-shrift every time.

However, let's remember that it takes an act of Congress to actually create a separate military service.
That was my thought as well. The glamour is with the jet pilots and that is where the money and good assignments go. Cleaning up space junk, protecting comms satellites, etc not so much

Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM

2,391 posts, read 553,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
It does sounds like something a seven year old would dream up in order to get some pats on the head.
I can't say space force without laughing and thinking about Star Wars, but apparently this is serious. Air Force Generals sent out military guidance on it
Quote:
Leaders issued a message to airmen telling them to stay the course as the process of implementing the president's guidance moves forward. Trump gave the order Monday during a speech to the National Space Council at the White House.

In a message to all airmen sent Tuesday night, service brass including Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein confirmed that, as rumored, the new "space force" would be established as a military service inside the Air Force.
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ace-force.html

At this point, you also have to consider a universe force and galaxy force.

Old 06-21-2018, 04:39 AM

8,493 posts, read 6,942,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I can't say space force without laughing and thinking about Star Wars, but apparently this is serious. Air Force Generals sent out military guidance on it
https://www.military.com/daily-news/...ace-force.html

At this point, you also have to consider a universe force and galaxy force.
I strongly suspect this idea came from greedy Air Force generals looking for more money both as extra Air Force funding and personal money via bribes and or easy contractor jobs.

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM

16,766 posts, read 9,121,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I strongly suspect this idea came from greedy Air Force generals looking for more money both as extra Air Force funding and personal money via bribes and or easy contractor jobs.
Actually, no. The Air Force has been lobbying against it. Most Air Force generals are pilots (all the Air Force policy-makers are pilots), and the Space Force isn't a pilot's gig.

Someone above mentioned the A-10 situation. This is something like it, in a bureaucratic fashion. Like the A-10, the Air Force bureaucracy doesn't really want it but also doesn't want to let anyone else have it.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 06-21-2018 at 06:52 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM

15,458 posts, read 8,942,693 times
13 posts have been deleted for partisan politics or for being off-topic/Orphaned replies to deleted posts. Be civil and leave partisan politics for the Politics forum.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:20 AM

5,234 posts, read 6,001,408 times
While I understand the necessity to protect our assets in space and that one day soon, there could be threats made to our assets by rouge nations, I feel we should be directing our energy somewhere else.

While the US Cyber Command was recently elevated to the status of a full and independent Unified Combatant Command this past May, Congress should go even further and make it the 6th branch of the military with the same Title 10 responsibilities its sisters branches have.

Cyber Warfare is currently more of a threat to our assets than in space.

Here is a very interesting article on the debate for a Cyber Force. https://www.usni.org/magazines/proce...us-cyber-force
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or