Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,074 times

Advertisements

For everyone here mocking the idea, I have to wonder if there was similar mockery in the early 20th century when the US Army Signal Corps' Aeronautical Division was created (forerunner of the Air Force we have today).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 11:49 PM

800 posts, read 729,861 times
I think Donald is telling us aliens exist and we need Military to protect us.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:30 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
At this point, it needs to be under the purview of the current Space Command. If the Air Force is having a problem supporting it, then there needs to be some housecleaning at the upper levels...as was necessary when the DoD finally got serious about being "joint" in the 80s.

If that can't work, then Space Command should be formed as a specified command (like the old SAC) within the Air Force or an Air Force corps with a seat on JCS like the Marine Corps or a unified command (like the current STRATCOM or SOCOM). There is a whole ladder of steps before separate military branch of service.

There actually was a Unified Combatant Command (named Space Command) in the 80s and 90s. It was closed in 2002 and merged with STRATCOM. More recently, US Joint Forces Command was closed. If Space is made another UCC, it is subject to closure again. Not arguing for or against, just saying.

You said it is possible that Space (thingie) should be an 'Air Force corps with a seat on JCS like the Marine Corps'. I'm not sure I understood that: The Marine Corps may be a part of the Department of the Navy, but it is 100% a separate military branch of service. The Secretary of the Navy has two services, the U.S. Marine Corps (military service) and the U.S. Navy (military service).

If you follow the same model as the Navy, perhaps we should consider a Department of the Air Force (or maybe a Department of Aerospace?) with the US Air Force and US Space Force/Corps/whatever we call it.

The slippery slope here is if Space is made a separate service-how about Cyber? Domains of war in the US are land, air, sea, space, and cyberspace (http://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Docume...-28-161956-230).

At some point I think more services = counterproductive, and I don't know that the Air Force has been doing badly with space. Just give them executive agency or control of all space forces? Maybe a forced branch transfer of space assets into the Air Force?

Last edited by GeorgiaTransplant; 06-24-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
There actually was a Unified Combatant Command (named Space Command) in the 80s and 90s. It was closed in 2002 and merged with STRATCOM. More recently, US Joint Forces Command was closed. If Space is made another UCC, it is subject to closure again. Not arguing for or against, just saying.

You said it is possible that Space (thingie) should be an 'Air Force corps with a seat on JCS like the Marine Corps'. I'm not sure I understood that: The Marine Corps may be a part of the Department of the Navy, but it is 100% a separate military branch of service. The Secretary of the Navy has two services, the U.S. Marine Corps (military service) and the U.S. Navy (military service).

If you follow the same model as the Navy, perhaps we should consider a Department of the Air Force (or maybe a Department of Aerospace?) with the US Air Force and US Space Force/Corps/whatever we call it.

The slippery slope here is if Space is made a separate service-how about Cyber? Domains of war in the US are land, air, sea, space, and cyberspace (http://www.jcs.mil/Portals/36/Docume...-28-161956-230).

At some point I think more services = counterproductive, and I don't know that the Air Force has been doing badly with space. Just give them executive agency or control of all space forces? Maybe a forced branch transfer of space assets into the Air Force?
I agree with your bottom line: More services = counterproductive.

I think a specified command within the Air Force, like SAC, is the best way to go for space combat. There should probably be a unified command for cyber warfare.

My opinion for both is based on:

1. Which service already owns or would naturally own such combat assets as would fight those wars (logistics, training, deployment of warfighting assets). The Air Force currently owns the logistics and training assets for space combat, as well as the assets to get into space. Aerospace is a continuum, both naturally and in terms of combat.

2. Which services would combat in those areas most support? Every service is a player in cyberwarfare..
Every service would have some service-unique assets and service-unique training. However, they all need to be coordinated jointly as cyberwarfare will flow across the services.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:06 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Army, Navy, and Air Force each has a Cyber command already - and jointly they roll up under U.S. Cyber Command. With or without a separate Space Command, it still could work within the existing structure set up for cyber.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:36 PM

24,596 posts, read 9,434,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
At this point, it needs to be under the purview of the current Space Command. If the Air Force is having a problem supporting it, then there needs to be some housecleaning at the upper levels...as was necessary when the DoD finally got serious about being "joint" in the 80s.

If that can't work, then Space Command should be formed as a specified command (like the old SAC) within the Air Force or an Air Force corps with a seat on JCS like the Marine Corps or a unified command (like the current STRATCOM or SOCOM). There is a whole ladder of steps before separate military branch of service.
Agreed and good post. Basically, it can be accomplished without a completely separate military branch. Joint means joint not creating a branch for every aspect or entity that needs protection, especially if it will cost taxpayers unnecessary money.

Just thinking, a space force would need its own boot camp. Then folks would just say “nope let them go to Air Force boot camp” then others would say “well might as well make it like cyber command anyway.” Which was a lot easier than creating a “Cyber Force.”

Old 06-24-2018, 02:03 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
No way will avoid being called "Space Cadets".

Old 06-24-2018, 03:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
This academy should be located in Roswell, NM...
It will be based at the Baikonur Cosmodrome.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Someone likes the idea.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump...140000121.html

Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I think they should be called Star Lords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues