U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 AM

17,931 posts, read 9,859,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
Disagree on that one. I know several former Rangers, Seals, Green berets etc. The majority of them will present said history at the drop of a hat. Rarely will they talk about actual missions or or things they did in the service unless you're close to them, but most have no problem presenting the fact that they were special forces when asked about there military service or what they've done for a living. I don't know if it is really considered bragging, but from my experience most of these types have no problem calling attention to themselves in the right scenario like throwing a warning out there when needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've hauled a lot of SEALs over the years in our C-130s and I've never had one ever talk about any mission they were ever on. I've even taken them to far-flung parts of the world and we knew nothing about their mission. If they won't talk to their fellow servicemen about what they do, they sure as heck aren't going to be bragging about their exploits to civilians they've never met before. So if you ever hear someone bragging about being a SEAL, chances are almost 100 percent that they're not a real SEAL.
Both are true.

Active duty special forces are not going to talk about their missions to other active duty people. A. They don't have to because they know we can read their patches and badges. B. They know we know they're not supposed to talk about their missions.

But "away from the flagpole," many of them will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:20 AM

31,485 posts, read 18,461,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
But then again we are looking at two different groups of men. Those still being deployed versus veterans who may or may not have been on real or fictional missions which might have been declassified years ago. While the SEAL/Special Forces/Ranger may not "talk" about their status a real special operator has a uniform which speaks for him. It might be an unit or branch insignia, shoulder tabs, or a special colored beret to begin with I guess if he was a US Marine would be the only service where you could not just glance at him in uniform and not know.
I agree with this.

I think Special Operational Forces units are allowed to tell their families and friends that they are Navy SEAL's, SF operators (Green Berets), force Recon, or rangers but many choose not to tell random people that they met.

At least for the Marines, there is MOS. NO MOS is classified. Matter of fact, the people who claimed their MOS is classified and they "don't want to talk about it for security reasons" are the fake ones. This being said, deployments are not disclosed, nor are any operational details.

Since OP mentioned "dating", my advice is to ask for photos. If the person is active duty, it is fairly easy to verify his or her information. If the person claimed to be a special force veteran, normally, asking for photos will solve a problem right away. You don't even need to go out of your way to verify his information. If he had no photos, then he is fake. Photos of their training, their military life are not classified normally, they should all have those and be happy to share with friends and families.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-23-2018 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 08:35 AM

6,533 posts, read 2,377,384 times
If someone is in U.S. Navy Special Operations is that the same thing as being a SEAL?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:43 AM

24,143 posts, read 38,919,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If someone is in U.S. Navy Special Operations is that the same thing as being a SEAL?
To be a member of Naval Special Warfare/Operations community, you have four choices:
1) Navy Special Warfare (Official Site)
2) SEAL - Sea Air Land (SEAL Recruiter)
3) SWCC - Special Warfare Combatant Crewman
4) Naval Special Operations
Article: https://www.military.com/military-fi...-navy-spec-ops

Old 07-23-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
To be a member of Naval Special Warfare/Operations community, you have four choices:
1) Navy Special Warfare (Official Site)
2) SEAL - Sea Air Land (SEAL Recruiter)
3) SWCC - Special Warfare Combatant Crewman
4) Naval Special Operations
Article: https://www.military.com/military-fi...-navy-spec-ops
OK thanks.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:36 PM

10,404 posts, read 7,492,263 times
Best let SEALS keep to themselves. They're a special kind of crazy.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:23 PM

4,049 posts, read 1,840,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Best let SEALS keep to themselves. They're a special kind of crazy.
I've met two navy seals.I would tend to agree. I met one in a bar. talked for about an hour. He told me some stories..... I mostly listened and told a couple myself. The guy had done some crazy $hit in nam……..

Old 07-23-2018, 08:36 PM

1,883 posts, read 329,943 times
If they thought they were a military history for an operation they later found out is non-existent or they knew early on was fake, shame to those people. If they later found out it was fake and spoke out against it as often as they could, bless them.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 PM

I knew someone who was in U.S Navy Special Operations but I can't remember if he said he was a SEAL or not. He wasn't lying about his Navy background at all. He was sometimes violent and assaulted women as well as men. And got away with it. One woman confided in me that he raped her, years after high school. He died in a strange way that I'd rather not go into detail about here.

The other man I knew was outed by Don Shipley as being a fake SEAL and he later shot himself on the beach, took his own life, but staged it to look like it was a murder.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:13 PM

31,485 posts, read 18,461,034 times
I met two SEALs at a local VA hospital. Honestly speaking, no offense, there is nothing special about them. It means they are NOT any different from other military men. They are NOT better than, say, Marine Force Recons, MARSOC, Army rangers, Delta Force, etc, etc.

I think public relations is the key to the SEALs “world’s best” title. (are they the world's best? No, I don't think so. I don't believe any special force is really the best.)

This isn’t to take away from what they do but i would like to point out, at this level of play, the SOF teams of the world are running pretty much neck and neck. There is very little variance at the individual operator level.

More importantly, each SOF element focuses on a particular set of skills which might give them an edge in one arena vice another but the idea that one SOF element alone is the “world’s best” is probably undefendable.

I met a lot of heroes at VA hospital who don't have the "sexy jobs", but their stories are equally amazing, impressive, moving, and inspirational.

If you (the general term) want to meet a real hero, go to your local VA hospital. Find a guy who is severely injured and listen to his story. Each scar has a story which is way more impressive than the SEAL title or any Hollywood movies.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 07-23-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or