Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:15 PM

526 posts, read 386,024 times

Advertisements

"People who lie about military history".

You mean, everyone who's ever been in the military? They're not called "sea stories" for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 02:12 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

Sometimes it seems like everybody in the US Navy since Magnum PI hit the air in 1980 was either a F-14 pilot or a Navy SEAL
I never noticed that with Navy Vets. Most of them that I've talked to have been pretty realistic about what they did. As opposed to another branch where most of them claim to be in Special Ops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
That is part of the problem if you are in the Navy and not on a ship/sub or fly and carry a rifle people are going to call you a SEAL. If in the Army a Ranger... In many situations it is easier just to go along with it and not fight to say I went to this school or did this similar or supporting job but am not a (fill in the blank). Especially since most don't want to sit through a 30 minute course on the differences between your unit/job and the famous elites.
I can see that. I work with a guy that said he was in "Surface Warfare Operations" or something like that in the Navy. I said, "A SEAL?" He said no, actually explained it pretty well in about 30 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post

You mean, everyone who's ever been in the military? They're not called "sea stories" for nothing.
They aren't talking about how many bouncers Jeff took on at a Fayetteville Strip club...

Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 PM

12,381 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I never noticed that with Navy Vets. Most of them that I've talked to have been pretty realistic about what they did. As opposed to another branch where most of them claim to be in Special Ops.

I can see that. I work with a guy that said he was in "Surface Warfare Operations" or something like that in the Navy. I said, "A SEAL?" He said no, actually explained it pretty well in about 30 seconds.

They aren't talking about how many bouncers Jeff took on at a Fayetteville Strip club...
I should have specified in popular culture all were either a fighter pilot or SEAL.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:03 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
He was in the navy in the early 80's...………...according to your link at that time he was right.
Point noted.

The program was one of those historical things I learned a number of years back.

I don't think I ever met someone of that program or if I did, it might have only been one or two people. I had read about reactors in Antarctica but never knew they were owned by the army. How I learned about it was from my interest in the N/S Savannah (no relation). That ship I saw for years, driving on the bridge over it on the way to Hilton Head Island on vacations in my childhood.

Fast forward to adulthood and looking at the pictures of it in the reserve fleet anchorage and then that other ship tied up next to it, the Sturgis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Charles_H._Cugle

Not knowing what the Sturgis was, I researched it over the years and that led me to finding out about the Army program.

BUT.....to tie it all up in this thread, if someone talks about reactors in the service and they aren't Navy, well, there have been other possibilities.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Message for the day: Never believe what others say, and what people claim. Listen, take in the information with a "grain of salt", do your own research, and then decide what is believable.

These days, people will believe anything, anywhere.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:49 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Message for the day: Never believe what others say, and what people claim. Listen, take in the information with a "grain of salt", do your own research, and then decide what is believable.

These days, people will believe anything, anywhere.
It's a bigger problem that people will believe anything but from only one source.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:03 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
I also went to college with someone who faked a military record and was publicly shamed on the internet, it's been 5-10 years back. He claimed he was part of the rescue operation for Jessica Lynch, claimed he had purple hearts and other honors. The truth was, he had been in the Army but had a desk job here in the states. He finally admitted he made up those stories but only after intense pressure was put on him to confess. Then he came down with Lou Gehrig's (I think) and was dying and they finally left him alone out of pity, I suppose. He was not a nice person back in college and there were constant rumors that he was a date rapist.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:49 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post

I never had a need to make stuff up. A lot of what I saw and experienced is more unbelieveable than fiction...…..

Old 07-26-2018, 05:51 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Point noted.

The program was one of those historical things I learned a number of years back.

I don't think I ever met someone of that program or if I did, it might have only been one or two people. I had read about reactors in Antarctica but never knew they were owned by the army. How I learned about it was from my interest in the N/S Savannah (no relation). That ship I saw for years, driving on the bridge over it on the way to Hilton Head Island on vacations in my childhood.

Fast forward to adulthood and looking at the pictures of it in the reserve fleet anchorage and then that other ship tied up next to it, the Sturgis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Charles_H._Cugle

Not knowing what the Sturgis was, I researched it over the years and that led me to finding out about the Army program.

BUT.....to tie it all up in this thread, if someone talks about reactors in the service and they aren't Navy, well, there have been other possibilities.
He served two years at sea on the USS long Beach. He said once he had paid his dues.... Two years in the boiler room in a cruiser...……..

Old 07-27-2018, 11:06 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,042,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I never had a need to make stuff up. A lot of what I saw and experienced is more unbelieveable than fiction...…..
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues