Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:05 PM

6,339 posts, read 7,693,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Since OP mentioned "dating", my advice is to ask for photos. If the person is active duty, it is fairly easy to verify his or her information. If the person claimed to be a special force veteran, normally, asking for photos will solve a problem right away. You don't even need to go out of your way to verify his information. If he had no photos, then he is fake. Photos of their training, their military life are not classified normally, they should all have those and be happy to share with friends and families.
Asking for photos sometimes won't work. Thinking back on it, there are only five photographs taken of me while I was in, and two of those were studio portraits. I have no idea where any of the five are today.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 12:41 PM

28,572 posts, read 18,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Asking for photos sometimes won't work. Thinking back on it, there are only five photographs taken of me while I was in, and two of those were studio portraits. I have no idea where any of the five are today.
I guess it's different in the age of cell phone cameras.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:38 PM

38,983 posts, read 27,373,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I guess it's different in the age of cell phone cameras.
Yes.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:23 PM

314 posts, read 237,389 times
Default ...not quite...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I know an ex navy diver who allows himself to be represented as a SEAL. He knows I know better and doesn't push it around me. I served 9 years active so I speak "navy" well enough to read between the lines.
Over the years I have met a great many people who I know are fake Vietnam veterans.
I get what you are saying, Listener. A couple of well placed questions and you can tell by how they answer if they really are what they claim.
When people ask me, I tell them I was assigned to Special Forces and not Special Forces. You need the Special Qualification Course for that. I could not bear making myself into someone much bigger than I am. How does a person live with that?
As it is. I do not mention being in the military unless directly asked.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:52 PM

532 posts, read 439,708 times
In the early 80s I took a couple of technician courses with a class full of sailors.
I was the single lone Marine in the class.

The teachers were retired Navy and one of them decided he would call me Sarge.
I dutifully corrected him because I was a Corporal.

He apologized and began to call me Gunny.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:51 AM

28,572 posts, read 18,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLackland View Post
I get what you are saying, Listener. A couple of well placed questions and you can tell by how they answer if they really are what they claim.
When people ask me, I tell them I was assigned to Special Forces and not Special Forces. You need the Special Qualification Course for that. I could not bear making myself into someone much bigger than I am. How does a person live with that?
As it is. I do not mention being in the military unless directly asked.
More than a decade after retirement, I've still had people tell me I was in the military. "I can tell by the way you walk."

Old 11-08-2018, 08:18 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
More than a decade after retirement, I've still had people tell me I was in the military. "I can tell by the way you walk."

That walk never goes away. You walk standing tall and you swing your arms 12 to the front and six to the rear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues