Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 06:50 PM

5 posts, read 4,104 times

Advertisements

After a long career in the US Navy on Active Duty and as a Reservist, I'm about ready to pull the plug and move on. Just hit 18 yrs 11 mths 10 dys on my Point Capture as of March 16th this year (my Anniversary date). Unfortunately, I'm ~20 days short of 19 years, which is distressing.

I'm drilling for points due to HYT (meaning i'm in a VTU unit) and currently living and working overseas due to my civilian employment as a DoD Defense Contractor. Not easy hitting all the requirements of the Reserve Center, in addition to the two to three events average I support on ADT orders every year...particularly while living abroad.

Wondering if any USNR folks here been through a similar situation. I know things have changed recently with the Navy IRR programs. I'm currently considered IRR-VTU (drilling for points). Considering the option to request to go IRR-ASP, finishing out year 19 (which I'll hit without doing anything further as I have the 50 points locked in already), and year 20 in the IRR-ASP through the correspondence courses.

Current USNR contract ends in December 2019.

If anyone here has any thoughts or experience in this regard, I'd be most grateful. It really is time for me to move on and focus on my family and civilian career. I'm happy to spend my last 18 months maintaining mobilization readiness and doing courses for points.

Thanks in advance.

V/R,
IT1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 PM

363 posts, read 349,781 times
(not navy, but make sure you know the dates of your *good years*.

a guy I worked with told me he did 6.5 years active duty and went straight to the AF reserves. he said he had to finish 14 full years in the reserves, because that last 6 months of active duty did not count towards a good reserve year. he did get the points.

Last edited by flashlight; 06-25-2018 at 10:39 PM..

Old 06-26-2018, 11:16 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times
I'm a reservist and understand why you want to move on.

All I can say is your plan sounds solid on paper, but make sure you review what courses you can do for correspondence and make sure you can make a good year with the points they give. As you probably know, the Navy reserve force changed the courses you could get points on a couple years back and made it MUCH harder to get points.

Do you still have a CAC and NMCI access? That would make things easier. I would look into JPME courses or DAU courses if you can access them. Those seem to be pretty popular options.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:01 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
If you were able to transfer to Active Duty again, in a month you would begin prepping for retirement.

Before my retirement, I was surprised at how far in advance I had to start the process.

Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
I spent 29 years in the National Guard. Depending on your non-military life it might be worth staying in longer or to pull the plug, pocket the retirement (IRR). Only you can answer that directly. I stayed in because my non-military was really the military. I was a dual status technician (military and FERS employee). My employment did depend upon my continued service in the guard as I worked for the agency as a civilian employee.

If I didn't have that hanging over my head I would have pulled the plug. I came close a number of times when I was so fed up with the BS. Now though I am glad I did because by delaying that I was able to work on making both pensions nearly equal.

We would need a little more information to give you a better answer.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Don't throw away all that time now. It's not much of a check but at least it's something. Hang in there for 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues