U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 PM

966 posts, read 1,012,587 times

Advertisements

Pony tails, bigger buns, and other styles are now OK:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...711-story.html

I don't see anything wrong with offering women a little more flexibility, since the newly authorized styles are still pretty conservative.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 AM

4,575 posts, read 1,141,729 times
So is the Air Force. I suppose they're just attempting to appeal and appease a younger, kindler, and gentler generation of servicemembers.

Old 07-12-2018, 04:55 AM

684 posts, read 2,659,186 times
I remember when I went to Navy boot camp in 1986, the Navy was the only service who made the women cut their hair above their collars. The other services could wear it up from day one.

After 6 weeks of boot camp in the humid Orlando weather, my thick frizzy hair was poofing out. I was stopped by someone who said "recruit, your hair is too....", and he couldn't finish the sentence. It wasn't too long, it was too wide from the humidity!

Old 07-12-2018, 06:57 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,969,104 times
When I was at the Ft. McClellan (Army) reception center in 1985 I was made to cut my waist length (very thick and curly) hair to just below my shoulders, despite my showing them that I could put it in a bun that met the regs in under 30 seconds and it would have been easier at the waist length

When the other females would complain that they couldn't get their hair up under their BDU hat and above their collars my DS would make me take my hair down and put it up and pointed out that if I could do it, they could do it. It was stupid, since they saw me do this every day in our barracks at least twice a day, but it was all about the show.

It is nice for those females in Service to have more options.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:49 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
When I first went into the Air Force, cornrows and other braids were explicitly prohibited by 35-10 as "extreme and faddish," despite the fact that they were eminently efficient hairstyles for military women in the field.

By the time I retired, Bo Derek had put them into the mainstream and enough women were in authoritative positions to get the regs changed. Last time I looked, one of the women pictured in the dress regulation was wearing cornrows.

I also remember when "high and tight" was prohibited in the Air Force as "extreme and faddish," but that began to change in the late 80s. In the 90s--when I was at Pearl Harbor and had a Marine colonel boss and Marines and solders working for me--all wearing "high and tight"--I went that way myself.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 AM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
I remember when I went to Navy boot camp in 1986, the Navy was the only service who made the women cut their hair above their collars. The other services could wear it up from day one.

After 6 weeks of boot camp in the humid Orlando weather, my thick frizzy hair was poofing out. I was stopped by someone who said "recruit, your hair is too....", and he couldn't finish the sentence. It wasn't too long, it was too wide from the humidity!
I still have my boot camp yearbook from Orlando 1990. The difference between the menís barber shop and the ladies beauty salon was huge.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 AM

8,854 posts, read 7,336,479 times
This brings up that old question of why do men in boot camp get a buzz cut and women get a trim and why do men have to keep their hair cut short and women are allowed longer hair after boot camp? I was told all sorts of reasons for the men getting the buzz cuts from head lice to breaking down their spirit to build them back up. Was also told many various reasons for keeping it short after boot camp most having to do with combat and various headgear. Well, women go through the same boot camp and are now serving in combat rolls but the requirements haven’t changed for them. I’m not looking to fully change the refs so women MUST get the same cuts as men nor allowing men to have the same length regulations as women. Just looking for the logic in the difference other than different sex/gender rolls.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:23 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,785,003 times
This is excellent news from the U.S. Navy. It shows they're listening.

"I was stopped by someone who said "recruit, your hair is too....", and he couldn't finish the sentence."

I know what he meant, because I have exactly the same kind of hair. The phrase he was looking for was
"too Rosanne Roasannadanna"!

Navy is relaxing women's hair style requirements-fan-hair-1-.jpg

Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 AM

1,630 posts, read 1,785,003 times
are now serving in combat rolls
other than different sex/gender rolls

The word you want is "role." Rolls are bread.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:42 AM

17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
This brings up that old question of why do men in boot camp get a buzz cut and women get a trim and why do men have to keep their hair cut short and women are allowed longer hair after boot camp? I was told all sorts of reasons for the men getting the buzz cuts from head lice to breaking down their spirit to build them back up. Was also told many various reasons for keeping it short after boot camp most having to do with combat and various headgear. Well, women go through the same boot camp and are now serving in combat rolls but the requirements havenít changed for them. Iím not looking to fully change the refs so women MUST get the same cuts as men nor allowing men to have the same length regulations as women. Just looking for the logic in the difference other than different sex/gender rolls.
Back in the early 70s, after our first full and very long day of basic training, at about 0100 hours, just before putting us to bed, our TI sat us down on our tails in the break room.

Sergeant Jimmy Weeks was from South Carolina. He was about 5-6, built like a firehydrant. He had a thick southern drawl and talked out of the side of his mouth like he needed to spit tobacco.

He said to us:

"One thing we ain't gonna have in this flight is racial trouble.

The reason we ain't gonna have no racial trouble is because you ain't got no reason to have racial trouble.

The reason you ain't got no reason to have racial trouble is because you're all the same color, namely green.

You all got the same hair, namely none.

You all got the same daddy, namely me.

An' you all got the same wants and desires, namely to get the @#$%&* out of here!"

The main reason is to erase the social lines that divide people in the civilian world: Hair styles, clothing labels, et cetera.

That's not "removing individuality," it's just removing cultural lines that are detrimental to the new military culture. Right after that speech, Sgt Weeks started creating new military individualities: One would be dorm chief, several would be bay chiefs, one would be latrine chief, one (me) would be "house mouse," et cetera.

And we'd learn to operate as separate members of a single body (because a body must have different members--not everyone can be a hand or an eye) with one head and one purpose.

Later, some would be mechanics, some would be cooks, some would be police, some would be intelligence, some would be fuelers, some would be weapons loaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or