U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 PM

5,014 posts, read 5,905,153 times

Advertisements

I remember when the desert uniform came out and how the new boots were so weird looking from my vietnam era forest green ODs/BDUs and shined to the max black leather boots.

It is possible the outlier sizes took awhile to become available and there was a war on. Whether wearing the wrong size would cause foot problems worthy of discharge I don't know. Seems like a profile would allow tennis shoes until they were available as was done for me when I had foot surgery.

Boots can really mess your feet up.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 07-20-2018 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:13 PM

17,246 posts, read 9,387,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I remember when the desert uniform came out and how the new boots were so weird looking from my vietnam era forest green ODs/BDUs and shined to the max black leather boots.

It is possible the outlier sizes took awhile to become available and there was a war on. Whether wearing the wrong size would cause foot problems worthy of discharge I don't know. Seems like a profile would allow tennis shoes until they were available as was done for me when I had foot surgery.

Unless for some reason local commanders were being real donkeys.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:48 PM

8,661 posts, read 7,097,265 times
Not saying I completely believe his story nor would I call him a liar. The wrong fitting footwear can absolutely damage feet. How much damage depends on the time spent in those boots as well as time on feet. I was in the Navy in Desert Storm and we were issued boondockers/chukkas.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:24 PM

119 posts, read 56,882 times
once upon a time, the AF made me a custom fitted pair of boots.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:20 PM

3,403 posts, read 6,564,392 times
We wore issue jungle boots then IIRC. If his boots fit BEFORE he was deployed but didn't afterwards, well, that sounds like another war story.
Command and Medical are NOT going to give a medical discharge ($$$ for life) to some slug who wants to cot-train all day. OTOH we made fun of the AF so who knows, maybe it's true, they might have coddled slackers then.

I know they always had much nicer, newer equipment than we did.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:55 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,181,261 times
When I was in the army, we used to march to a song that was not very complimentary toward the armed services.

One of the lines was:

"The boots that they give you, they say are mighty fine. You ask for size eleven, they give you size nine. Oh, I don't want no more of army life. Hey, Mom, I want to go home!"

Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 PM

5,014 posts, read 5,905,153 times
^^^

had forgotten that one

Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,354,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post

Actually when they changed over they authorized allowing black boots to be worn with the new uniform until the sizes were available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
When I was in the army, we used to march to a song that was not very complimentary toward the armed services.

One of the lines was:

"The boots that they give you, they say are mighty fine. You ask for size eleven, they give you size nine. Oh, I don't want no more of army life. Hey, Mom, I want to go home!"

The line goes like this though;

The boots they give you, they say are mighty fine. You ask for size eleven, and they give you size nine. Oh I wanta go, but they wont let me go home!

but you had the gist of it.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:41 PM

7,867 posts, read 5,594,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post

One of the lines was:

"They say that in the Army, the coffee's mighty fine. It's good for cuts and bruises, and tastes like turpentine. Oh, I don't want no more of army life. Gee Mom, I want to go home."

Old 07-24-2018, 05:05 PM

23,757 posts, read 38,053,126 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG9Y07pG9_k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues