U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 PM

2,552 posts, read 1,305,787 times

Advertisements

I know a guy who makes a lot of claims. Former Air Force Reserves. He says was injured in the line of duty, during Desert Storm. After some prodding the injury was that the boots hurt his feet. Says he has a wide foot and the boots hurt him. Many days he would get a pass to go lay on a cot all day. Then he came home and got a medical discharge after 18 years in.

Did they seriously not have 2e or 4e wide boots? Couldn’t you pay for your own?

He was in the Reserves, it’s the boot part getting questioned.

Last edited by madison999; 07-19-2018 at 07:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 08:25 PM

280 posts, read 178,265 times
Sounds phony. They let him in with those feet. Why after 18 yrs they're too wide? With 18 yrs in I doubt he'd get a med discharge (and I assume some kind of disability pay)

What they'd do is grant him a uniform waiver of some kind.

1) Exempt from wearing the battle uniform/BDU whatever they call it nowadays, and just wear the "blue suit" with regular shoes, along with restricted duties not to involve wearing of uniform that requires boots

2) Authorize him to wear the battle uniform but with civvy-stype hunting boots in an appropriate size and width obtained from L.L. Bean or Cabella's or Walmart for that matter.

Line of duty medical injury from a condition everyone would have known about sounds fishy.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:40 AM

17,240 posts, read 9,379,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Sounds phony. They let him in with those feet. Why after 18 yrs they're too wide? With 18 yrs in I doubt he'd get a med discharge (and I assume some kind of disability pay)

What they'd do is grant him a uniform waiver of some kind.

1) Exempt from wearing the battle uniform/BDU whatever they call it nowadays, and just wear the "blue suit" with regular shoes, along with restricted duties not to involve wearing of uniform that requires boots

2) Authorize him to wear the battle uniform but with civvy-stype hunting boots in an appropriate size and width obtained from L.L. Bean or Cabella's or Walmart for that matter.

Line of duty medical injury from a condition everyone would have known about sounds fishy.
Agreed. By the 90s, the Air Force was selling civilian-brand boots in the AAFES stores legal for uniform wear that came in sizes not stocked by the official uniform store.

If he had a recognized medical condition, they surely would have authorized a uniform waiver and may even have paid to have special boots made.

It wouldn't have been as though there had never before been anyone with big feet in the Air Force.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM

47 posts, read 281,896 times
Default Could be...

While I wouldn't comment about the results he describes, I can vouch for what he's saying about the wrong boots. I also have a wide foot and always had to have them ordered for me, (or buy myself). BUT upon arriving in SA, the commanders there insisted we wear the new desert boots that were on hand rather than the polished black ones we arrived in. Unfortunately, the sizes that were shipped over were just the more common ones, and none were my size. Despite that, command insisted we find something "close enough" to wear and enforced wearing them. I pick some clownishly large ones to get closer to the width I needed.

Fortunately, being an aviator, I only wore them around camp, and switched to my black ones once at the airplane and during flights. I can certainly see how they could really damage your feet if you were forced to wear the wrong size all the time.

Most of the people I saw arriving in theater were in "greens" and were being outfitted with desert gear upon arrival. There was a LOT of mixed green/desert uniforms and equipment running around depending on what was on hand to issue. Remember, we were geared for a war in Europe back then and almost no units had desert gear ahead of time.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:35 AM

280 posts, read 178,265 times
Quote:
Despite that, command insisted we find something "close enough" to wear and enforced wearing them.
Still the same I see. I guess that's what still passes for "leadership."

I don't doubt your story. Heck, even I, myself, went through the "shoes too big/shoes too small" routine for at least my first year. I don't know if you remember Air Force chuka boots? Even when they fit they still ruined people's feet. My problem with the story is taking it all the way to a medical discharge at 18 yrs. Maybe if an irritation caused a blister that got infected that lead to a minor amputation. That would fall into the "Strange but True" category. But just "boots hurt my feet/feet too wide"....? Lots of people have had to deal with that.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM

47 posts, read 281,896 times
Agree with you Fallstaff. That's why I didn't comment about the discharge part of the story. Just verifying that they did make us wear the wrong size boots just because that's all they had available. It was a lot different in theater than it was back home.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:54 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,901,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallstaff View Post
Still the same I see. I guess that's what still passes for "leadership."

I don't doubt your story. Heck, even I, myself, went through the "shoes too big/shoes too small" routine for at least my first year. I don't know if you remember Air Force chuka boots? Even when they fit they still ruined people's feet. My problem with the story is taking it all the way to a medical discharge at 18 yrs. Maybe if an irritation caused a blister that got infected that lead to a minor amputation. That would fall into the "Strange but True" category. But just "boots hurt my feet/feet too wide"....? Lots of people have had to deal with that.
My feet were screwed up by my basic training boots. I had my choice between too big or too small and the Sgt at the reception center told me that too big would have to have socks stuffed in the toes (they were 2 sizes too big), while the too small were 1/2 a size too small, "go with these, they will stretch with use".

After 2 days I told my DS and was informed that the Army was not a shoe store and that "if" I graduated from basic I could buy my own jump boots.

I ended up having to have surgery on both of my feet since I had bony protrusions on the sides of my little toes, big toes (by the large joints) and on the backs of both heels. The recovery was long and painful and before I landed in my wheelchair, there were times when I stepped on something (like stepping up on a curb) there would be intense pain in the arch of my foot.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM

6,136 posts, read 4,795,984 times
The issued belleville desert boots I wore were available in a wide, or extra wide (4E) I wore the 4E because of my flipper feet. They were lace to toe, almost more like a hiking boot than a traditional combat boot. But the subject of this thread is Desert Storm, and I have no idea what might have been available at that time.

Last edited by s1alker; 07-20-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-20-2018, 11:16 AM

23,751 posts, read 38,028,593 times
Just FYI: "The Gulf War (2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991), codenamed Operation Desert Shield (2 August 1990 – 17 January 1991) for operations leading to the buildup of troops and defense of Saudi Arabia and Operation Desert Storm (17 January 1991 – 28 February 1991) in its combat phase, was a war waged by coalition forces from 35 nations led by the United States against Iraq"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

I had just retired... I was drafted into the Army with "Flat Feet". I was issued inserts as needed. They helped. I still had flat feet. I stayed 22 years. With a profile, I would do a walk during physical training. For the "PT" test, I would just do the 2 mile run. I was never the last person (but close at times)...

Yes, I would do it again with some minor changes.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 PM

12,297 posts, read 11,727,363 times
We had someone with big feet, no shoes were available, he was temporary assigned other duty with a chit until his shoes arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues