U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 09:59 PM

22,703 posts, read 21,750,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And those old officers are dismayed that Vietnamese Millennials are as oblivious to their war as Americans are to the Korean War.
They are? The ones I've known expected it. The kids are over it. They want to move on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 PM

31,389 posts, read 18,427,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
We are prone to coming up with a one size fits all. I reject that. Each suicide knows their “why” and trying to attach some to veteran status is nuts imop. But we do it all the time with our psychological mumbo jumbo. “He murdered his family because of his own abuse as a child.” Who really knows? People live with their own demons. If I do myself in is it because of being a vet? A widower? Financial issues? Opioid addiction due to chronic pain? What difference does it make?
In my humble opinion, this is the BEST post in this entire thread.

I lost three people in my life to suicide.

First one: my late boyfriend
Second one: my childhood best friend
Third one: my childhood best friend

Couple of them were Marines. One was a civilian. I agree with you 100%

Each one is different, nobody will ever know the WHY, only they knew. The ONLY absolute is that they were ALL brave men when they were alive. They were ALL kind, wonderful men. I still miss them very very much.

Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 AM

865 posts, read 399,375 times
The US is the country with by far the widest reach and military might. We have people all around the globe protecting our interests.

It's most likely that other countries fudge the numbers more than we do, or they don't have hundreds of thousands stationed abroad involved in keeping the peace.

Wanting to be in the military or not hasn't been shown to predispose people to being psycho killers as far as I know.

A group that is representative sample of the US, with more stressful jobs on average would in theory result in higher per capita mental illness.

One could also argue that weeding out mechanisms like boot camp select for a more psychologically sound group.

Old 08-01-2018, 02:33 AM

902 posts, read 406,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
why do our troops suffer such a high rate of depression and suicide rates

I wanted to get the perspective of the vets

thanks
I think cases of friendly fire can be devestating - not just to those directly involved.
There must be an aftermath of psychological turmoil. It's very common.
War is hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r7YHR1Yscc

Old 08-01-2018, 08:17 AM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
I agree with your entire post except:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
One could also argue that weeding out mechanisms like boot camp select for a more psychologically sound group.

from: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/boot%20camp

Quote:
Definition of boot camp
1 : a navy or marine corps camp for basic training
2 : a disciplinary facility or program in which young offenders are forced to participate in a rigidly structured routine
3 : a place or undertaking that resembles a military boot camp especially by requiring one to endure intensive training or initiation
I can speak for the U.S. Army:

Quote:
The ten-week journey from civilian to soldier

Basic Combat Training (BCT) is a training course that transforms civilians into Soldiers. Over the course of ten weeks, recruits will learn basic tactical and survival skills along with how to shoot, rappel, and march. They will also learn the basics of Army life and military customs, including the Seven Core Army Values.

Nowadays, the more talented players view their college years as necessary boot camp to prepare them for the riches waiting for them in pro football. —Anson Mount

These youngsters are put through what amounts to a boot camp of courses in music notation, basic harmony and ear-training. —Smithsonian

I attended US Army BCT in 1968... Attending various graduation ceremonies over the years, it seems to have progressed for the better.

I won't speak for the other services.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:04 PM

291 posts, read 147,761 times
Can religion play a role in preventing such suicides ?

WIll it work better than just giving more mental health services ?

Old 08-03-2018, 05:41 PM

24,131 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Quote:
Can religion play a role in preventing such suicides ?
Possibly...

Quote:
WIll it work better than just giving more mental health services ?
Possibly...

I've seen some military personnel lean towards religion.

My family was more involved with the church while we were stationed overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or