U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:37 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,827,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sounds complicated. Also sounds like you'd need his cooperation.

Sure sticking a Ka-Bar into his neck wouldn't have worked better?
I'm sure it would. The premise was if you had no weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 07:42 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,827,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yeah, i'm sure that would work on Dwayne Johnson or Shaq.

Some of the stuff you get taught in the military rarely has any real-world practical application. I was taught how to fire a rifle, guess what, in real life the target is moving and firing back.

What you learned seems like some off topic "after hours" combatant course after someone watched a Jackie Chan movie.
The op asked if we had been "trained" to break necks. When I was in basic they showed us the above. As far as how effective it would have been...…...I never claimed it would be.... I could see if done perfectly however it seems very feasible. I was taught how to fire and aim an M-60 also...…..in real life Tracers make everyone a marksman...…...so ya,a lot of training is not always applicable in "real life"

Old 08-04-2018, 08:37 PM

5,779 posts, read 3,069,314 times
The 1970 basic training sounds more in line with the you never give up training mindset but the actual move would need the opposition to help you get into position like a professional wrestler lining up so the star can put his finishing move on him. I do wonder what the modern day instructors or folks on the MMA board would say about the 1970's technique.

What ground combatants are taught beyond what I see on YouTube should I google an action star and start getting other such videos in my feed will take someone with more recent service than mine to answer. As for me I had one day of bayonet training in 1986 when I was on a Brigade staff and the Colonel ordered the Brigade HHC to go through an hour of training.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 AM

8,838 posts, read 4,801,729 times
Hmmmm, teach them to break necks?

No, I just taught them, in military police, things to beat the thanksgiving turkey out of others, take the fight out of them. Oh, you know, like take their feet out from under them then slam their face into the pavement on the way down. Grab anything to use as a weapon like hitting them in the face with a pot of coffee. Sleeper chokes were a favorite.

As a deadly force instructor told me, if it comes to it, you are going to take what you can get......and as a prof told me after my service, often those picked for military police are the best brawlers.

Could it happen? Better believe it but to try it directly intentionally? Not in my lesson plan.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:24 AM

8,496 posts, read 2,866,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Or at least special forces type guys. Is coming up behind someone, grabbing them, quickly breaking their neck even feasible like in the movies?
They are taught unarmed combat techniques.

It was reported just last year that a small British Special Forces of Soldier were low of ammo with less than 10 bullets left between them after a four hour fight with ISIS, in which over 20 member of ISIS were killed.

They then became surrounded by further 50 jihadi's and fought there way of using any method possible including their bare hands, one drowned an ISIS Jihadi in a puddle, another killed three extremists by beating them to death with the butt of his rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Express

Rather than be kidnapped and beheaded, the group resolved to go down fighting, convinced they were all about to die.

They shook hands, said goodbye to each other, and charged at the jihadiis.

The source said: "Rather than die on their knees, they went for a soldier’s death and charged the IS fighters who were moving along the river bed.

"They were screaming and swearing as they set about the terrorists.

“They fired off their few remaining bullets and dropped several terrorists before setting about them with whatever weapons they had.

“They bayoneted, slashed and beat the IS fighters to death."

The soldiers were described as fighting like "crazed warriors", killing 12 terrorists in the space of five minutes.

The surviving ISIS soldiers are said to have fled.

“It was a classic case of Who Dares Wins," the source added.

Apart from two soldiers who suffered minor gunshot wounds, all the members of the unit were said to have returned to active duty two days after their incredible battle.

SAS soldier 'drowned ISIS jihadi in puddle as group fought terrorists - Daily Express

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-27-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM

762 posts, read 474,425 times
Breaking someone's neck seems like allot of work. It is far easier, if approaching from behind, to put them in a proper chokehold, which causes unconsciousness in seconds. In fact, when practicing on each other, I was out before I could get my sidearm out of the holster, and I knew what was coming. It takes a little practice, but placing the bicep and forearm over the jugular, while reinforcing the hold with the other arm and pushing the neck further into the hold, works wonders. It also works from the front if you can get the combatant head down.

If you held it for 2 seconds after they went limp, they would fully recover in about 30 seconds, enough time to zip tie their hands and gain compliance. If you held it for 30 seconds, it caused death if medical intervention wasn't immediately available.

This wasn't part of our normal training in the Navy. I volunteered to work in the brig, transport prisoners, and work the front gate, and that is where I received the training.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:51 PM

11,762 posts, read 15,764,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Or at least special forces type guys. Is coming up behind someone, grabbing them, quickly breaking their neck even feasible like in the movies?

There's very little in "the movies" that has ever been true about the military or, for that matter, anything else in everyday life. It wouldn't make for an interesting storyline.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:54 PM

55,229 posts, read 72,321,065 times
Most broken necks at camp Pendleton occur from the abundance of motorcycle shops in the area

Old 08-27-2018, 04:03 PM

9,798 posts, read 13,822,416 times
Ha ha

Reminds me of a great book
Boussenard's best-known book Le Capitaine Casse-Cou

Title translates in English as Captain Breakneck.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:36 AM

17,848 posts, read 9,790,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
There's very little in "the movies" that has ever been true about the military or, for that matter, anything else in everyday life. It wouldn't make for an interesting storyline.
It's kind of interesting that almost nothing is completely right in movies. Regardless of the subject, people who know about that subject can always point out what the movie gets very, very wrong--every subject, every movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or