Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
It's the military equivalent of the The Onion.
crap·o·la
kraˈpōlə/
nounNorth Americanvulgar slang
noun: crapola
nonsense; rubbish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM

24,288 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I learned to study population statistics in public health. It seems the military also did a study on the "most dangerous officer's rank" of mistakes and found it to be "Major" rather than "2nd Lt." I know the stereotype during the Vietnam War was that the 2nd Lieutenant was error-prone. But more recent research seems to point to the major. I am not a veteran but have many relatives who are. I just thought the study was interesting from an epidemiological perspective.
https://www.duffelblog.com/2012/12/a...d-lieutenants/

While the source of the "study" is a load of the stuff that comes out of the north end of a southbound bovine, there is some merit. In the fighter business there was a study of low-altitude crashes and there were two peaks in the accident rate: about 500 hours and again at around 2200 hours flying time. These equate to flight lead upgrade (1st Lt) and new aircraft following a staff tour (Major). The first peak was about a new guy trying a lot of things, maybe becoming overtasked, and the second peak had a lot to do with overconfidence and an emphasis not on tactical prowess but rather administrative or managerial aspects of the job. 2nd Lts were so closely managed and limited in their mission capabilities and certifications that they didn't have much of a chance to screw up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues