U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 09:28 PM

29,026 posts, read 14,709,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think what would concern us is if despite a high score, having a lower job selected for you.

Is THAT possible?
Well... Every military in the world has demonstrated a tendency to jam square pegs into round holes on occasion. If battalion needs a Latrine Technician II and a rocket scientist just arrived from bootcamp, some expectations will be adjusted. Doubtless this has been true since Joshua assigned trumpet duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 09:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 1,739,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I think what would concern us is if despite a high score, having a lower job selected for you.

Is THAT possible?
I went through basic training with a practicing lawyer who had passed his bars in two states...……..the Army in its infinite wisdom sent him to cooks school...……..

Old 08-08-2018, 06:02 AM

1,515 posts, read 783,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Considering the Army allows high school dropout GED holders to enlist, one would have to be pretty brainless not to meet the minimal score of an Army ASVAB.

The test has to be easy, because all the other qualifications make it hard for people to enlist to begin with. Tattoos, criminal record, drug use, weight or obesity, medical history, credit history, etc. is an automatic disqualification. Hell the Air Force was kicking people out during basic freaking training because of tattoos.

Only 1% of the country qualifies to serve their country. And only 1% of that 1% is even interested in serving their country. So the ASVAB is rarely the disqualifying factor here (GED holders can pass it), it's usually all the other stuff.

Not true, as long as you have the brains to score high on your ASVAB and choose the right branch which allows a greater selection of jobs, your chance of fighting in actual combat are very low. And just because you deploy doesn't mean you'll be kicking down doors. Many people who deploy are in supporting roles "behind the wire." Behind the wire could face some occasional shelling or a rogue local who decides to turn on some folks, but that's it.

Very true. The amount of training that infantry has to do is insane. The amount of training security forces has to do (military police) is insane.

People like to make fun of the intellect of infantry or military police, they shouldn't. Their jobs are far more serious than most. Maybe they didn't score high on the ASVAB on average but the military will still ensure they are far from stupid.

It is closer to 25% qualify.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 AM

31,374 posts, read 38,153,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I went through basic training with a practicing lawyer who had passed his bars in two states...……..the Army in its infinite wisdom sent him to cooks school...……..
When was that? Seriously, his recruiter should have fast tracked him to the abbreviated OCS and had him in JAG faster than you could blink.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:47 AM

1,515 posts, read 783,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
When was that? Seriously, his recruiter should have fast tracked him to the abbreviated OCS and had him in JAG faster than you could blink.
In boot camp we had a guy who was literally a doctor. He had to fight with his recruiter to go to basic as enlisted. His goal was to go through his first contract as enlisted and then after that was done to go officer. Don't know what his MOS was.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:58 AM

405 posts, read 176,936 times
Probably a dumb question but like I said I really don't know much: when does one take the ASVAB exam-- before or after boot camp? Assuming before.....

Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,074,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
And don't get the idea that infantry is stupid. Maybe in the past, but not today.

The Infantry field manual is two inches thick of stuff the soldier is supposed to remember while being shot at.
<>
Brains are highly valuable tools for staying alive on the battlefield.
Amen, brother.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 AM

5,555 posts, read 2,902,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Probably a dumb question but like I said I really don't know much: when does one take the ASVAB exam-- before or after boot camp? Assuming before.....
It is part of the recruitment phase. The US Armed Services don't want to waste the money and training space sending someone to basic training who they expect will fail to qualify for military service.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:15 AM

295 posts, read 652,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

Before...before you even are accepted into the military. As I remember it, and I graduated high school in 79, so things may have certainly changed, we were required to take the ASVAB as either juniors or seniors in high school. As I remember it, everyone had to take it, and it was administered in school itself. I remember when I took the ASVAB, I had no intention of joining the military, so had no motivation to do well on the test; I scored poorly. I later did decide to join the Air Force, and had to request permission to re-take the ASVAB since my scores were too low to qualify for any jobs I wanted.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 AM

3,887 posts, read 1,739,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
1970. He was drafted...…….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or