U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 AM

31,374 posts, read 38,153,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
1970. He was drafted...ÖÖ.
I figured. But even then they should have diverted him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 AM

17,240 posts, read 9,379,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I figured. But even then they should have diverted him.
The draft was primarily for infantrymen. If you wanted to avoid being drafted as infantry, you joined for the field you wanted. But if you played the odds and lost, you were primarily going into the infantry.

Now there is the DoD "Fairy godmother" department in the basement of the Pentagon staffed by a crew of six elderly GS-5 women all nearing retirement. Every now and then, one of them wakes up and smacks the top paper on her desk with her magic wand, then falls back to sleep. But that's not something anyone can count on.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:22 AM

29,026 posts, read 14,709,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
In boot camp we had a guy who was literally a doctor. He had to fight with his recruiter to go to basic as enlisted. His goal was to go through his first contract as enlisted and then after that was done to go officer. Don't know what his MOS was.
Gentleman rankers still exist, it appears.

Silly aside: I do recall reading a book on the Paris Gun and how Krupp essentially built the gun and a number of replacement barrels, then shut down that part of the plant - there would never be a second one built. The German Army immediately drafted the workers as gun crew, and the historian writing the book commented on how rare it was to see a military bureaucracy not only spotting a chance of fitting round pegs in round holes, but acting on it.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM

29,026 posts, read 14,709,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Now there is the DoD "Fairy godmother" department in the basement of the Pentagon staffed by a crew of six elderly GS-5 women all nearing retirement. Every now and then, one of them wakes up and smacks the top paper on her desk with her magic wand, then falls back to sleep. But that's not something anyone can count on.
Hmmm... If I had the time, I might start a thread called "Random military decisions" or somesuch. Military history sure provides ample examples.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:52 PM

30,991 posts, read 17,849,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Iím not overly familiar with how it is determined. But say itís the Iraq war and marines are having to go house by house looking for someone. They are in the frontlines of battle. Iíve heard rumors that every service person is given a test to look at intelligence and other things. If you score low on the test it could put you in the frontlines. If you score high (as in higher IQ) you would probably avoid the frontline and maybe be put in a support or troubleshooting role. Is this accurate? Again I have little experience in this but am looking to see if this is correct.
Thanks
No, I don't think so.

I think it depends on the contract and MOS. My brother's MOS was 0321, and every force recon is highly intelligent and a PT stud.

Here is an article if you are interested,

What It Now Takes To Enter A Combat Job In The Marine Corps

https://taskandpurpose.com/want-mari...s-heres-takes/

Old 08-08-2018, 01:52 PM

9,563 posts, read 17,455,294 times
I know a few young men who failed AIT (12B) on purpose because they decided they didn't like the army. I asked them what they plan to do once they get discharged & they told me "I Don't Know".

Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM

30,991 posts, read 17,849,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post

In the end, does it make sense that if one does not want to fight in combat then its probably best that you don't join. Agree?
I think so.

Although not everybody in the military would have the opportunity to fight on the front lines, if they absolutely do not want to fight and will do everything to avoid combat, then maybe military career is not a good choice for them.

One poster mentioned "supporting role", I have a friend who was a supply guy in the Marine Corps (don't know his MOS), he lost both of his legs in combat. I have another friend who was a Navy Corpsman, he is 100% disabled now.

In another word, there is no "safe" MOS for the Marines.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-08-2018 at 02:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 02:13 PM

8,774 posts, read 9,863,348 times
To clarify, During the Vietnam draft, NO draftee with a professional designation was assigned a position outside their general professional designation unless they wanted something elsewhere. No doctor, lawyer, CPA, PE etc would just be assigned some lower position when drafted. Did not happen! Now, you did have many who volunteered or who asked for something else or was refusing to work within that professional field, they would be assigned outside their professional designation, but that was their decision, not the military.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:50 PM

405 posts, read 176,936 times
Just saw this-- 17 years in this war. This isn't an easy job what these guys are doing for sure. God speed... hopefully they get home one day:

https://www.facebook.com/WorldNewsTo...139894818/?t=1

Old 08-08-2018, 04:44 PM

23,751 posts, read 38,028,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The draft was primarily for infantrymen. If you wanted to avoid being drafted as infantry, you joined for the field you wanted. But if you played the odds and lost, you were primarily going into the infantry.
Not really.... I saw a lot of draftees who were sent to various MOS's and various assignments.

I was drafted into the Army in May 1968. Said to have been one of the largest drafts. I was sent to Fort Bliss for AIT. Was selected for Army MOS 16E Hawk Fire Control Crewmember. Then I was assigned to a Missile Site in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or