Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

When I was in the army stationed in Hanau, Germany during major alerts my bn (23rd eng bn) would go to Fulda. I especially remember at night while I was on guard duty I saw ALOT of lights with guards, a fence & barbed wire. I don't think that was east Germany. Right ? I am quite sure it was Fulda I was at. I think Fulda is about 1 hr east of Hanau. I always thought all these years I was looking at east Germany. During my 2 yr tour I never visited berlin, Amsterdam & Stuttgart & I regret that. This was before the wall came down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 06:04 PM

I checked the info online & I was right. It was east Germany & the soviets I was looking at. I did bring my camera & the commanding officer said NO picture taking.....period. He didn't explain why & you don't question your CO.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:06 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,526 times
Didn't know Fulda was in east Germany. My grandmother had relatives there, think in Pomerania and in Riga ,latvia.
My dad's side is bavarian and we have relatives in the Black Forest.yeah, you don't want to get caught taking any pictures of the russians,

Old 05-15-2018, 02:49 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Please pull up a map of Germany!!!

Old 05-19-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
Didn't know Fulda was in east Germany. My grandmother had relatives there, think in Pomerania and in Riga ,latvia.
My dad's side is bavarian and we have relatives in the Black Forest.yeah, you don't want to get caught taking any pictures of the russians,
Fulda is west Germany. It was just strange to me looking at armed men that were also looking at us. If I took pictures (I forgot camera) & got caught I would of been given a article 15. Pulling guard duty at night was kind of scary. The lights in east Germany were blinding & it was quite a experience.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:23 AM

24,298 posts, read 13,141,152 times
The Fulda Gap was deemed a most likely place the Warsaw Pact would mass their armor during any penetration into West Germany; the terrain was most suitable for it. The A-10 and AH-64 were developed in part as a result of the Fulda Gap scenario. The other likely avenue of approach was the Northern German Plain, which is where I was an ALO, but half the year it's largely impassable except on the roads. However, I did tour the Fulda Gap after completing the Euro-AGOS course at Sembach, with an ALO who was aligned with the 3/7 CAV at Mannheim. In the late 80s the IGB was a very interesting place.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 PM

I don't remember seeing the Fulda gap. My unit was training in the woods near the east german border. I do regret not touring Fulda during my off duty time. Hanau is about 1 hr away. I was with the 3rd armored division (spearhead), 23rd engineer bn, C company (later on I was attached to HHC).

Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times
Fulda is a good 10 miles from the former border..you would have needed some pretty good binoculars to see the East German and Soviet troops from Downs Barracks in Fulda. There were however several U.S. military observation posts at the border directly around the small villages to the east of Fulda. I imagine that's where you spotted the hostiles.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Fulda is a good 10 miles from the former border..you would have needed some pretty good binoculars to see the East German and Soviet troops from Downs Barracks in Fulda. There were however several U.S. military observation posts at the border directly around the small villages to the east of Fulda. I imagine that's where you spotted the hostiles.
My unit was up on a hill over looking east Germany. If I walked to the border from where my unit was it would of taken me 5 minutes tops. It was really surreal at night looking at the east Germany. Lights were everywhere across the border (it was very dark where I was). I wanted to ask my platoon sgt if I could get a closer look (in the daytime) but I was quite sure what his answer would of been. I was also only a private with not even a year in service so I kept quite. My unit was very strict as would be any combat engineer unit. I still regret not taking a trip to Fulda during a off duty weekend (we often worked on Saturdays).

Old 06-13-2018, 05:56 PM

I also trained in Grafenwoehr & Wildflecken (both in the winter). It was brutal. Combat engineers spent loads of time in the field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues