U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:00 PM

603 posts, read 992,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Pretty sure it's all veterans. You've got that dd214, too! (Thank you for your service)

We found out several years ago not everything gets a discount in HD. But there was a time when Lowe's only had discounts on special occasions.
Thank you.
As an immigrant, it was an honor and privilege to have served .

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 06:11 PM

3,053 posts, read 3,711,933 times
Here is a link to some info...quotes below.

"Similar to Lowe’s, Home Depot has specific restrictions for their military offered discount. Active military and veterans (more than 20 years of service or a service-connected disabled veteran) can get 10% off their purchase. If you do not qualify for either of those options, other military veterans can receive a 10% discount on Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day " "The Home Depot military discount does not apply to lumber and building materials."

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-19-2018, 06:31 PM

6,439 posts, read 3,875,261 times
HD here only gives discount to disabled vets. Lowe's does not have that restriction. I showed them my VA card and they gave me a Lowe's card which is programmed for the discount. I bought a dishwasher, a fridge and a washer/dryer with no problem. Works for small hardware items also.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:32 AM

270 posts, read 152,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
I've been noticing something new this year. Lowes has always given a 10% military discount, regardless of the item purchased. Home Depot will give the same discount if you show your military ID but only if you ask them. Lowes automatically applies the discount. I'm remodeling the home and purchase a lot of construction material. This year I noticed that Home Depot has cut back their discount on "Commodity" items. They still give a discount of sorts but not on everything you buy as does Lowes. I recently purchased some electrical conduit from Home depot but no discount was given. Since I needed more conduit, I went to Lowes. (same price as HD) I received the full discount. I'm sticking with Lowes and I'm finished with HD.
Here in Ocala FL Home Depot gives no military discounts. Lowe's does so we no longer shop at HD.

HD also throws out plants not sold or that look a bit tired. Lowe's has a section to buy them at a good discount.

HD wont see our business every again.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:14 AM

3,996 posts, read 2,280,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop01 View Post
I've been noticing something new this year. Lowes has always given a 10% military discount, regardless of the item purchased. Home Depot will give the same discount if you show your military ID but only if you ask them. Lowes automatically applies the discount. I'm remodeling the home and purchase a lot of construction material. This year I noticed that Home Depot has cut back their discount on "Commodity" items. They still give a discount of sorts but not on everything you buy as does Lowes. I recently purchased some electrical conduit from Home depot but no discount was given. Since I needed more conduit, I went to Lowes. (same price as HD) I received the full discount. I'm sticking with Lowes and I'm finished with HD.
I use the "MyLowes" bar code and automatically get 10% off purchases based on my husband's military service. We've remodeled almost our entire home, bought new stainless appliances using the discount.

We have saved thousands doing this.

Home Depot....only when something isn't available at Lowes.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 AM

5,338 posts, read 5,322,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Here is a link to some info...quotes below.

"Similar to Lowe’s, Home Depot has specific restrictions for their military offered discount. Active military and veterans (more than 20 years of service or a service-connected disabled veteran) can get 10% off their purchase. If you do not qualify for either of those options, other military veterans can receive a 10% discount on Memorial Day, Veterans Day and Independence Day " "The Home Depot military discount does not apply to lumber and building materials."
The HD military discount is NOT "Similar to Lowe's". I did not put in 20 years, but still get the discount each and every time I ask for it. Sometimes, I'm embarrassed if I am just getting a few nuts and bolts. Don't bother then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Home Depot....only when something isn't available at Lowes.
Same here. However, HD's Ryobi stuff is pretty good. Thankfully, I have most of what I'd want but did go in recently to get some weedeater spools.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-20-2018, 09:32 AM

22,545 posts, read 12,910,564 times
I didn't know HD excluded certain items from the discount.

Does anyone have specific info on that?

I'll ask them next time I'm in the store. I normally shop at Lowes, but sometimes HD has something specific I want.

Although if I had my druthers, I'd shop at Maynards...but there isn't one in Texas.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 AM

26,458 posts, read 44,507,289 times
FROM: Offical Military Discount Policy | The Home Depot Community

Quote:
Customer Care
Offical Military Discount Policy
What is the official Home Depot policy for Military discounts? What are all the terms and conditions? What are the restrictions? What products and services are excluded? What products and services are included? Where is this policy published on Home Depots website and what is the link?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Like 0 Comment 1 Stay updated Report

Posted 2018-07-04T20:12:58+0000 by Joseph17 Joseph17

Hi Joseph17,

Due to a constantly changing product mix a specific list of items included and not include is too long to publish. Each store has over 50,000 individual items. For specifics please speak to a manager at your local Home Depot store.

Below is a summary of our Military Discount policy:

At the Home Depot we offer a 10% Military discount on all Regular and Sale priced merchandise with proper military I.D. If an item is on sale, one additional discount may be applied, such as a coupon, 10% off offer or the 10% military discount, however during our promotions where a blanket 10% is offered on all merchandise such as appliances during the recent Memorial Day Event, no additional discount will apply, since an additional 10% has already been taken off. There is a Maximum Military Discount of $500 per purchase. There also may be some restrictions on certain merchandise in the store. The Military discount is not offered for online purchases.

When shopping in our stores, if you ever have a question about our Military Discount please ask to speak to the store manager.

Mike

Like 0 Report

Posted 2018-07-09T17:56:34+0000 by Mike_HD_OC

In any event we have been using Home Depot and Lowes for over 15 years. We are glad we have both in our local area...

Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM

5,000 posts, read 7,758,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Lowes requires you to sign up through their mylowes platform to verify your credentials and participate in their military discount program. You can no longer show your ID to receive the discount, and will not receive the discount unless you are entered into their system through their platform. We found this out when making an appliance purchase in January. They would not apply the discount, because we had not registered via mylowes, and they would not register us on the spot.

We left and made the purchase at Home Depot, where the discount was given upon presentation of ID.
Lowes registered me on the spot, it took about two minutes. I give them my phone number and the discount gets entered.

I don't see the big deal. 10% is 10%. As a Great Mind once asked, What difference does it make?

Old 08-20-2018, 11:44 AM

43,376 posts, read 17,897,354 times
Signed up at Lowes with Military ID. Was not asked for any other paperwork.

When we buy anything at Lowes, I show MyLowes card and get the discount. Does not appear to have any restrictions.

We have a Home Depot nearby as well. Prices about the same, but the fuss about the discount is not worth it. Also the Lowes' employees seem to know something about the area they work in. For examples, the staff in the plumbing department often offer suggestions on what parts would work.

As I recall, the HD staff were as bewildered as I was about things.

But that could just be our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues