U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 PM

347 posts, read 404,573 times

Advertisements

I've been noticing something new this year. Lowes has always given a 10% military discount, regardless of the item purchased. Home Depot will give the same discount if you show your military ID but only if you ask them. Lowes automatically applies the discount. I'm remodeling the home and purchase a lot of construction material. This year I noticed that Home Depot has cut back their discount on "Commodity" items. They still give a discount of sorts but not on everything you buy as does Lowes. I recently purchased some electrical conduit from Home depot but no discount was given. Since I needed more conduit, I went to Lowes. (same price as HD) I received the full discount. I'm sticking with Lowes and I'm finished with HD.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 11:06 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Lowes requires you to sign up through their mylowes platform to verify your credentials and participate in their military discount program. You can no longer show your ID to receive the discount, and will not receive the discount unless you are entered into their system through their platform. We found this out when making an appliance purchase in January. They would not apply the discount, because we had not registered via mylowes, and they would not register us on the spot.

We left and made the purchase at Home Depot, where the discount was given upon presentation of ID.

Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 AM

4,117 posts, read 3,863,127 times
I've become a Lowe's fanboy since learning about the program. It is not automatic. After ringing up a purchase, I have to ask the cashier to enter my telephone number. Then I get the discount. It's a nice, unexpected perk.

Signing up was easy enough. Just went to the service desk with a copy of my DD-214.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-19-2018, 10:40 AM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Lowes
I showed ID, signed up for their program with the cashier and got 10% on a Dyson for 199 instead of 465 this morning.

Whenever in doubt - ask for the floor manager.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:48 AM

819 posts, read 484,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Lowes
I showed ID, signed up for their program with the cashier and got 10% on a Dyson for 199 instead of 465 this morning.

Whenever in doubt - ask for the floor manager.
Gotta love that math. 10% off 465 is 199?

Old 08-19-2018, 10:53 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,148,824 times
I noticed that too. I recently did a major remodel and home depot wouldn't discount Romex and Conduit. They did discount all the lumber and plumbing. Seemed strange to me.

Old 08-19-2018, 11:00 AM

24,133 posts, read 38,871,775 times
Home Depot has our military discount programed in their system, we just show our Military ID. This is very easy.

We prefer Lowes for major appliance purchases, they are faster, gave us a better deal, they have their own delivery vehicles and employees...

We have Home Depot and Lowes nearby... It is a toss-up for us.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:50 PM

347 posts, read 404,573 times
Lowes does require you to sign up, but as was stated, I just made a copy of my DD-214 and showed to to the rep and I was in. I got the impression that a lot of fake wannabes were making up credentials (easy to do - search fake military ID- $10 ea) and the cashiers are really not in a position to be experts on Military ID's and it was no skin off their hide unless they challenged a customer (big NO NO).

On big appliances and such, I go for price and convenience. Lowes is nice because HD wants an additional $30 for home delivery and Lowes is free for me. There was some confusion when the registration program first started but it's seamless now.

My beef with HD was that I always received the full 10% regardless of the quantity and item and this has not been the case recently. They just kinda changed their policy and didn't bother to let us know that was my only purpose for the post.

I certainly understand why they decided not to print signs and post them on the wall announcing the change in policy.
And to be fair, there may be many other discount programs that I'm unaware of and corporate just decided to cut back on a number of them.

I save my receipts and noticed this started as far back as the beginning of the year. I could have saved a significant amount if I had noticed..
I do now - and will make my purchases with that in mind.
Anyone can buy a one time 10% off discount card on eBay from either Lowes or HD - BTW
YMMV.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:57 PM

568 posts, read 842,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I've become a Lowe's fanboy since learning about the program. It is not automatic. After ringing up a purchase, I have to ask the cashier to enter my telephone number. Then I get the discount. It's a nice, unexpected perk.

Signing up was easy enough. Just went to the service desk with a copy of my DD-214.
Does this also applies to veterans or just for active duty/retiree?

Old 08-19-2018, 02:48 PM

10,396 posts, read 7,472,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Does this also applies to veterans or just for active duty/retiree?

Pretty sure it's all veterans. You've got that dd214, too! (Thank you for your service)

We found out several years ago not everything gets a discount in HD. But there was a time when Lowe's only had discounts on special occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues