Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:26 PM

18 posts, read 13,079 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

First off, I'm new to the forum.

I've been pondering the idea of enlisting in the Navy for a few years now. I am 24 years old and I have a Bachelor's degree. So here's the scoop:

After speaking to several recruiters as well as friends/family who have served in different branches, I can't seem to conjure a viable answer as to what I should do.

I was arrested in 2014 for simple possession of marijuana (.08 g) and in 2016 I was arrested for disorderly conduct and public intox. Both times, during college, I was placed on probation and successfully completed the "ARD" program. I paid my fines in a timely manner and have been clean since. I have learned from my mistakes and deeply regret my actions and poor decisions made in college.

After conducting several background checks (criminal, municipal etc), and calling the courthouse in which my documents were at, there is no record as per expungement. The first thing I said to my recruiter, right off the bat, was "I'd like to weigh my options of joining the Navy, however I have legal stipulations that I'd like to find out if they will affect my enlistment or obtaining of security clearance" ..or something along those lines. After the recruiter ran a quick background check, and nothing came up, he proceeded to, in a nutshell, hint at me to not tell the truth on enlistment paperwork - including but not limited to answering "no" to questions such as "have you ever been arrested" or "have you ever been convicted of a crime.." It didn't sit well with me.

I chose to follow up with our previous meeting stating I wanted to amend paperwork stating false information. He then explained to me that "if your record was expunged, it's as if it never happened, so therefore you don't have to disclose it." That doesn't seem right. I then replied "even if I made it through MEPS without anyone finding so-called "dirt", when it comes to obtaining security clearance, there's no such thing as a "sealed record"" His reply was something along the lines of "You would bring up your past offences and/or expungement at the time of your security clearance" ..which doesn't make sense to me. He proceeded to tell me that I would be put in a holding pattern for up to months if I requested and filled out waiver information.

Also I think it's relevant that I've talked to about a dozen individuals regarding my dilemma. I've heard "go with your gut and tell them the truth" as well as "My friend had an expunged record, and was still able to obtain security clearance."

I'd like some guidance as to
1. Is this true what the recruiter is telling me, or BS?
and
2. How should I proceed in this matter?

I am an honest person. I went in knowing I wanted to go about enlistment in an honest fashion, even though there may or may not be anything on paper (besides an FBI-level, potentially) regarding my previous arrests.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2018, 05:34 PM

469 posts, read 398,576 times
Look up the legal definition for an expunged record, and you will feel better about your answers. They specifically tell you that you can now answer, honestly, that you have never been convicted because the expungment deletes the conviction as if it never happened. So you could truthfully say, yes you were arrested, and no, you were not convicted. But look it up yourself, since I am not an attorney and can't give legal advice.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:39 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB7guy View Post
Hi folks,

First off, I'm new to the forum.

I've been pondering the idea of enlisting in the Navy for a few years now. I am 24 years old and I have a Bachelor's degree. So here's the scoop:

After speaking to several recruiters as well as friends/family who have served in different branches, I can't seem to conjure a viable answer as to what I should do.

I was arrested in 2014 for simple possession of marijuana (.08 g) and in 2016 I was arrested for disorderly conduct and public intox. Both times, during college, I was placed on probation and successfully completed the "ARD" program. I paid my fines in a timely manner and have been clean since. I have learned from my mistakes and deeply regret my actions and poor decisions made in college.

After conducting several background checks (criminal, municipal etc), and calling the courthouse in which my documents were at, there is no record as per expungement. The first thing I said to my recruiter, right off the bat, was "I'd like to weigh my options of joining the Navy, however I have legal stipulations that I'd like to find out if they will affect my enlistment or obtaining of security clearance" ..or something along those lines. After the recruiter ran a quick background check, and nothing came up, he proceeded to, in a nutshell, hint at me to not tell the truth on enlistment paperwork - including but not limited to answering "no" to questions such as "have you ever been arrested" or "have you ever been convicted of a crime.." It didn't sit well with me.

I chose to follow up with our previous meeting stating I wanted to amend paperwork stating false information. He then explained to me that "if your record was expunged, it's as if it never happened, so therefore you don't have to disclose it." That doesn't seem right. I then replied "even if I made it through MEPS without anyone finding so-called "dirt", when it comes to obtaining security clearance, there's no such thing as a "sealed record"" His reply was something along the lines of "You would bring up your past offences and/or expungement at the time of your security clearance" ..which doesn't make sense to me. He proceeded to tell me that I would be put in a holding pattern for up to months if I requested and filled out waiver information.

Also I think it's relevant that I've talked to about a dozen individuals regarding my dilemma. I've heard "go with your gut and tell them the truth" as well as "My friend had an expunged record, and was still able to obtain security clearance."

I'd like some guidance as to
1. Is this true what the recruiter is telling me, or BS?
and
2. How should I proceed in this matter?

I am an honest person. I went in knowing I wanted to go about enlistment in an honest fashion, even though there may or may not be anything on paper (besides an FBI-level, potentially) regarding my previous arrests.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your help.
1. It’s BS

2. Prepare for a holding pattern

On the security clearance, lying or withholding the truth is considered far worse than anything if you may have actually done. The form asks, in different words, if you have *ever* been arrested. You have. To say otherwise is untruthful.

He’s telling you to withhold now because it’s easier for him, not better for you.

Finally, when you give full and complete answers, you never have to keep your stories straight. There’s only one story-the truth. Get your career started off right-truthfully.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
1. It’s BS

2. Prepare for a holding pattern

On the security clearance, lying or withholding the truth is considered far worse than anything if you may have actually done. The form asks, in different words, if you have *ever* been arrested. You have. To say otherwise is untruthful.

He’s telling you to withhold now because it’s easier for him, not better for you.

Finally, when you give full and complete answers, you never have to keep your stories straight. There’s only one story-the truth. Get your career started off right-truthfully.
Secondarily, I stopped next door at the Air Force recruiter's office. I started the conversation off with the same general wording, and he said right off the bat that he'd be happy to get a waiver started. Also he assured me that his commanding officer is fairly lenient in consideration of non-violent crimes that have been expunged. I was happier to hear the truth rather than layers of supposed BS.

Do you have any idea of how long of a holding pattern may ensue? Even then, there's absolutely no guarantee my waiver will be "accepted".

I appreciate your input and honesty.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:27 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
With a Bachelor's are you talking to officer recruiters?

Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
With a Bachelor's are you talking to officer recruiters?
I was told, or lack of better terminology, discouraged, to pursue officer due to my so-so GPA (2.88), coupled with my prior criminal record. She said something like "Sure, you can apply and try all you want but you're probably better off enlisting."

Besides that, I don't know how well versed I'd be in an officer position due to my lack of JROCT or college ROTC experience in general.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:56 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
I was told, or lack of better terminology, discouraged, to pursue officer due to my so-so GPA (2.88), coupled with my prior criminal record. She said something like "Sure, you can apply and try all you want but you're probably better off enlisting."

Besides that, I don't know how well versed I'd be in an officer position due to my lack of JROCT or college ROTC experience in general.
Try anyway. The recruiter is trying to make her numbers with you.

OCS is for non-ROTC members. I don't know what the numbers are now but when I was in ROTC commissions were in 3rd place behind OCS and Academy.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:27 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Welcome to the forum.

You always have the option of going in as enlisted and then, if you’re motivated, apply for OSC.

https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join...ted-to-officer

Best wishes, keep us updated.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:

I also had a ‘colorful past’ and got commissioned (with waiver). Army and a different time, but, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. If you want it, try for it now. It’s a little harder to make happen once you’re already in.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Welcome to the forum.

You always have the option of going in as enlisted and then, if you’re motivated, apply for OSC.

https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join...ted-to-officer

Best wishes, keep us updated.
Thank you for the link. I originally intended on pursuing OCS after college, but was steered away the more I thought about taking a position of management before experiencing enlistment. Not ruling it out, nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues