U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 11:10 AM

345 posts, read 215,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those who have experienced combat rarely want to talk about it.
We know
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:36 PM

127 posts, read 43,203 times
I grew up with an uncle who consistently lied about serving in Vietnam and the military. He dodged the draft (unlike his two brothers who both attempted to serve; both were rejected for medical reasons) but still claims to have gone, even bought some medals off people and in pawn shops to provide "proof".

My family attempts to exspose him when they can, but he purposely moves around and lies low to shake us off his trail. But every once in a while he'll pop up and then we have to clean up the mess he leaves when people find out the truth and he skips town. It makes all of us look bad and despite us trying to get him charged nothing seems to happen to correct the behavior (which I'm sure would continue or be adapted into another false claim even if he was caught).

It's shameful and while I'm not a military member, my grandfather and grandmother nearly died in WW2 serving their country and I have a younger brother who has recently enlisted as well. The fact they're humble and never use their military background or any renegotiation they've been awarded stands out to everyone who eventually finds out and it makes people like my uncle that much more of the deceitful low life that they aim to be.

Unfortunately the crime is common as I've met several "Veterans" who brag about their service, but then can't accurately tell me the correct deployment dates or even name any of the US Basic/Recruit Training camps. And around here it's common for people to simply buy a medal and wear it for panhandling. A couple guys in downtown Seattle have been doing this for years scamming people, several claim to be Vietnam vets; yet they're barley pushing their 40s (the meth and heroin addition helps them seem older and people barley think about that, they just see a supposed homeless vet who seems to know the right quotes from the Deer Hunter and Full Metal Jacket to fool tourists).

I'm sorry that you have to find yourself in this situation and you should attempt to see how you can get your son help. Otherwise it's best to let others know so they can't be taken advantage by your son and cut him out until he can be trusted again if ever. It's a big lie and if he's been able to pull of this who knows what else he has or will say to get what he wants!

Old 09-04-2018, 02:03 PM

4,584 posts, read 1,145,353 times
Purple Hearts are very difficult to get. They are one of the Crown Jewels of a combat award.

Anyone who tells you they have a Purple Heart must be assumed to be lying unless they have all evidence in hand to backup the claim.

Just because a person served or deployed doesn’t mean they have a right to lie about awards.

Some folks will even try to exaggerate their story for the government in order to qualify for it. “I was under a barrage of gun fire with mortars falling left and right. I managed to evacuate 5 people as I was shot in my leg.”

Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM

16,483 posts, read 15,923,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those who have experienced combat rarely want to talk about it.
My dear relative rarely, if ever, spoke of his experiences in Vietnam for 30 plus years and when he did it was for a reason. All of his children have birth defects likely caused by Agent Orange and it wasn't until his grandchildren started being born (one died) with the same/similar birth defects that he started to discuss snippets of his experience. Now, that the war is 50 years in his past, he has talked about it a little more.

He was a company clerk and it was his job to do the paperwork for the men for their purple hearts. A few of the stories of heroinism were so touching that he, as well as everyone hearing the stories, would start crying. In one case the soldier, stayed back, provided machine gun cover to allow his fellow soldiers to retreat and survive. The man knew that it was suicide and he would not live. While he was killed, even the enemy, treated that soldier as a hero (they sent him back to base in his vehicle rather than leave him in the jungle), at least that is how everyone interpreted their actions. Now, he really deserved his Purple Heart.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 2,818,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I would wonder what else has he lied about, since he lied about this for years.
Because Rule No. 2 (my life rules, or axioms perhaps) is "Men lie, women fake it." Yep, I'd want to know about that, too, in case there is legal exposure.

I lie about various things, I guess. Smaller stuff. I don't think on it much. Nothing terribly important, though, that harms 1) health 2) work 3) legal standing 4) my integrity. It's what people do, but lying about things that are criminally or socially culpable like what I believe they call "stolen valor" is clearly despicable and dishonorable.

The people caught doing that should probably be issued a ceremonial cloth and Seppuku sword, and left alone in a locked room for fifteen minutes. No better than dirty dogs, IMO. I'm not military and have nothing to prove or envy other than my generalized respect for those who serve, past-present, but stealing something like that makes me queasy.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 2,353,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
I grew up with an uncle who consistently lied about serving in Vietnam and the military. He dodged the draft (unlike his two brothers who both attempted to serve; both were rejected for medical reasons) but still claims to have gone, even bought some medals off people and in pawn shops to provide "proof".!
That's just really sad.

These days, with the internet, there are far more consequences for lying, as it's more likely someone can do a little research and find out the person is lying. It's not something to risk.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:54 PM

5,868 posts, read 3,148,828 times
On Tuesday morning a group of us former Marines get together to swap lies and war stories. Today, one of the guys had a copy of a Silver Star award of the fellow Marine who had saved his life by putting his finger on a bullet hole in his neck until a corpsman could take over. The citation listed a number of events justifying the award. His name is Ruben Santos and in addition to the silver star, he was also awarded two bronze stars and three purple hearts during his time in Vietnam. Ruben Santos' son sent him the citation and a couple of pictures so he could use it in a local presentation. The two have never lost touch with each other since that day in 1967. You can google Ruben Santos USMC and Ruben Santos USMC silver star and read about the battle that took place that day. His awards are real and he can back them up with paper and with scars.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:58 PM

128 posts, read 65,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's just really sad.

These days, with the internet, there are far more consequences for lying, as it's more likely someone can do a little research and find out the person is lying. It's not something to risk.

Priscilla, Your comment knocked me out of my chair!!!

How did that work out for 'ol grab 'em by the P....?????

Old 09-05-2018, 12:06 AM

88 posts, read 24,005 times
This is odd.
You need to wonder why your child would need validation from you this badly
And start giving him more love and validation just because he is your son.
Not for any achievements or successes
Quit making a mountain out of a molehill being so "offended"
That to me is much more disturbing than his tale
Be nice

Old 09-05-2018, 09:19 AM

6,470 posts, read 2,353,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralDweller View Post
This is odd.
You need to wonder why your child would need validation from you this badly
And start giving him more love and validation just because he is your son.
Not for any achievements or successes
Quit making a mountain out of a molehill being so "offended"
That to me is much more disturbing than his tale
Be nice
It's not the OP's son. It's his son-in-law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or