U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:49 AM

88 posts, read 123,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Actually, this is NOT true.

Basically, all that is required is that one receive some sort of injury that requires medical attention as a direct result of enemy hostilities. One could be standing in the chow line when an enemy mortar goes off and sends a fragment into your butt, a medic removes it and, presto, you win a PH. An 'act of heroism' is in no way a condition of receiving the PH.

Ironic that you would make such a statement in a thread about lying about the PH, but I chalk it up to ignorance rather than intentional deceit.
When I was in VN, we were told to clean up the LZ because the 'donut dollies' were coming out to pay us a visit. We policed up the area and threw the garbage into a fire pit. Someone threw in a can of C-rations and it exploded. It hit one of the guys in the platoon in the chest. He was bare chested and didn't realize that he was bleeding until I saw him and said "Holy ****, look at that hole in hour chest!" When he looked down and saw the wound, he fainted." He was awarded a Purple Heart. The citation said that the fire pit was booby trapped by the VC and that's why he was awarded the medal.

Another guy told me that he was awarded a Purple Heart when he closed the hatch of his APC on his fingers. Because they were being fired on by a sniper it was combat related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 11:05 AM

88 posts, read 123,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
one thing for sure....anyone KIA is absolutely entitled to the purple heart.
This wasn't always the case. If you were KIA as of a result of friendly fire before 1985 and you did not receive a Purple Heart.

I had a friend (Lt. Glenn Zamorski) that was a Marine helicopter pilot. On a rescue mission, his helicopter was hit by an artillery shell. He was killed but his co-pilot survived. The co-pilot and other members of his unit petitioned to have the requirements changed.

After years of testimony and petitions the requirements for being KIA by friendly fire were changed. I attended the awards ceremony in 2015.

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2...ine_50_ye.html

Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,825,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
This wasn't always the case. If you were KIA as of a result of friendly fire before 1985 and you did not receive a Purple Heart.

I had a friend (Lt. Glenn Zamorski) that was a Marine helicopter pilot. On a rescue mission, his helicopter was hit by an artillery shell. He was killed but his co-pilot survived. The co-pilot and other members of his unit petitioned to have the requirements changed.

After years of testimony and petitions the requirements for being KIA by friendly fire were changed. I attended the awards ceremony in 2015.

Here is a link to the story.

https://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2...ine_50_ye.html
I was unaware of the friendly fire caveat. Of course I believe that if you are in a combat zone and KIA or WIA,you are entitled to the Purple heart.To me it was ridiculous to differentiate between friendly fire and hostile. Both are very adverse to your health.

Old 09-13-2018, 11:51 AM

11,559 posts, read 17,457,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Wow. Plenty of combat veterans relate true accounts of their experiences--assuming anyone talking, even reverently, about a combat experience is a liar is an insult I hope you avoid by not rolling your eyes and saying "uh huh".

Your "tooth to tail" comment is inaccurate. I cannot believe you are unaware or skeptical of the thousands of support troops who moved supplies and provided services through hails of SAF, RPG, and IEDs--including fighting through contact, engaging enemy troops, and all terrible things one must do in combat, like rendering aid to a dying buddy.

There are always going to be fakers, liars, and braggarts. Always some goat roper sitting at the bar regaling an audience with his battle stories--but they are far outnumbered by real and truthful veterans. Assuming everyone telling a combat story is a liar is no different that assuming someone sitting quietly is somehow authentic by omission--neither is universally indicative of truth.

LOL. A few years ago, I was seated at a dinner beside an older dude because the host knew we were both veterans. Dude told me a few of his exploits in Viet Nam--I was intrigued by his stories, but based on my own experiences, knew that fantastic and unusual are liberally laced into the sights and sounds of combat. Looked his name up when I went home. One bad-ass retired Sergeant Major.
I mean no offense, all those that serve in the military should be honored.
The tooth to tail ratio in WW1 for the army was like 1:1, now I think it's along the line of 1:11. That is not "innacurate".
Fair enough however, today's combat is not linear. The face of combat has changed dramatically from what you see in a typical war movie, and support soldiers in a combat zone, although not in a combat role, are subject to IED's and ambushes from an enemy they may never see.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:18 PM

5,071 posts, read 1,433,392 times
I'm not sure it really matters anymore. Connecticut elected a Senator (Blumenthal) who claimed he served in VietNam and never stepped foot in the country.

Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 PM

24,083 posts, read 38,758,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I'm not sure it really matters anymore. Connecticut elected a Senator (Blumenthal) who claimed he served in VietNam and never stepped foot in the country.
It does matter. However, You are off topic. Mr. Blumenthal, now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. That has nothing to do about the subject at hand "Lie about Army Purple Heart"

Reference: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/n...lumenthal.html

Old 09-14-2018, 04:52 PM

5,071 posts, read 1,433,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It does matter. However, You are off topic. Mr. Blumenthal, now running for the United States Senate, never served in Vietnam. That has nothing to do about the subject at hand "Lie about Army Purple Heart"

Reference: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/n...lumenthal.html
Lying about service to the country certainly is on topic. Be it lying about receiving a Purple Heart or lying about serving in Viet Nam.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:56 PM

24,083 posts, read 38,758,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Lying about service to the country certainly is on topic. Be it lying about receiving a Purple Heart or lying about serving in Viet Nam.
The title to this thread is "Lie about Army Purple Heart"

From the Terms of Service which you agreed to: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
Enough said...

Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 PM

4,107 posts, read 3,837,875 times
Enough! Politics belong elsewhere on C-D. Please stay on-topic.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-16-2018, 04:49 PM

818 posts, read 480,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I mean no offense, all those that serve in the military should be honored.
The tooth to tail ratio in WW1 for the army was like 1:1, now I think it's along the line of 1:11. That is not "innacurate".
Fair enough however, today's combat is not linear. The face of combat has changed dramatically from what you see in a typical war movie, and support soldiers in a combat zone, although not in a combat role, are subject to IED's and ambushes from an enemy they may never see.
The tone of your reply is disingenuous. You are simply changing the context of your remark to make it appear accurate in your response. I'm not sure what the quoted misspelling of "innacurate" means in your post, as it was spelled and used properly in my post. Now, take a look at your statement in the context it was made:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Even those you know that are in the military, the "tooth to tail" support ratio being what it is, its very unlikely they heard a shot fired in anger in the entire military career.
This is an unqualified, fallacious conclusion that supports your attitude about anyone speaking about a combat experience--absolutely your personal belief and your right to state it--but that ratio dreck as a substantive defense of your belief? Nope. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or