U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 07:45 PM

4,521 posts, read 1,123,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Actually, this is NOT true.

Basically, all that is required is that one receive some sort of injury that requires medical attention as a direct result of enemy hostilities.
Your post is not true as pointed out in post #27 and #31, first one describes an injured man who didn’t get a PH and the second one decribes an event that was falsely exaggerated to get a PH.

A lot of people cheat the system to get one while others have been cheated out of one, which is my only point.

Assuming you’ve even served, you’ll see a lot of folks with prestigious combat related awards they didn’t exactly earn.

Last edited by Rocko20; 09-16-2018 at 08:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 02:39 PM

11,560 posts, read 17,472,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
The tone of your reply is disingenuous. You are simply changing the context of your remark to make it appear accurate in your response. I'm not sure what the quoted misspelling of "innacurate" means in your post, as it was spelled and used properly in my post. Now, take a look at your statement in the context it was made:

This is an unqualified, fallacious conclusion that supports your attitude about anyone speaking about a combat experience--absolutely your personal belief and your right to state it--but that ratio dreck as a substantive defense of your belief? Nope. Not even close.
Not sure why I am wasting my time, not sure why you are wasting your time with some sort of thread analysis drivel, but my comment about tooth to tail ratio was accurate, doesn't matter how I spell it (are you seriously resorting to that?), doesn't matter how you dissect my thread.

The conclusion and clarification in my second paragraph was not to you as I don't care what you think, but to the others in this forum who proudly and bravely served in the military in whatever role they were assigned.

By the way, what does "ratio dreck" mean?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:06 PM

31,361 posts, read 18,385,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInFL View Post
Hi,

My son in law received two Purple Hearts during service in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or, so we thought for 12 years!

Recently, after a confrontation, we found out it was a total lie. Completely made up. He’s been bringing this up now and then for 12 years.

We are totally blown away. We feel betrayed. We feel he’s mocked those who legitimately earned a Purple Heart.

Its very upsetting.

For any military members out there ... I’d love to hear what you think about this?

Thanks
I am engaged to a veteran and I have always found military men to be attractive. I've been lied to in the past (a guy claimed to be a sniper, another guy claimed to be a Navy Seal) These two gentlemen both served in the military, but for some reasons, simply serving is not good enough in their eyes, they had to "lie" in order to impress people. Lucky for me, I have family members and friends who served, so it is not very easy to lie to me. I have to assume receiving two purple heart is extremely rare. If I remember this correctly, First time is a purple bar and after that you get a bronze oak leaf added to the bar. (i could be wrong)

I think your son in law has some psychological problems and character issues. I think you should get him some help.

It used to be a crime to lie about having received a military award such as the Purple Heart.

I am so sorry your daughter has to go through this.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-25-2018 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 PM

5,827 posts, read 3,119,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am engaged to a veteran and I have always found military men to be attractive. I've been lied to in the past (a guy claimed to be a sniper, another guy claimed to be a Navy Seal) These two gentlemen both served in the military, but for some reasons, simply serving is not good enough in their eyes, they had to "lie" in order to impress people. Lucky for me, I have family members and friends who served, so it is not very easy to lie to me. I have to assume receiving two purple heart is extremely rare. If I remember this correctly, First time is a purple bar and after that you get a bronze oak leaf added to the bar. (i could be wrong)

I think your son in law has some psychological problems and character issues. I think you should get him some help.

It used to be a crime to lie about having received a military award such as the Purple Heart.

I am so sorry your daughter has to go through this.

A second purple heart award is denoted by a bronze star centered on the ribbon.

As far as snipers and SEALS go, those are the two most lied about military specialties. When someone brags about having been one or the other, they're almost always lying.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:29 AM

24,107 posts, read 38,802,736 times
If you earn a second purple heart, you normally get a bronze oak leaf cluster for the existing medal. A single silver oak leaf represents five awards of the medal.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A second purple heart award is denoted by a bronze star centered on the ribbon.

As far as snipers and SEALS go, those are the two most lied about military specialties. When someone brags about having been one or the other, they're almost always lying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
If you earn a second purple heart, you normally get a bronze oak leaf cluster for the existing medal. A single silver oak leaf represents five awards of the medal.
Apparently it's a bronze star for a second award for sailors and Marines and an oak leaf cluster for soldiers and airmen.

Old 09-26-2018, 04:25 PM

24,107 posts, read 38,802,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Apparently it's a bronze star for a second award for sailors and Marines and an oak leaf cluster for soldiers and airmen.
Correct. My error.

"Additional awards of the Purple Heart are denoted by oak leaf clusters in the Army and Air Force, and additional awards of the Purple Heart Medal are denoted by 5/16 inch stars in the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard"

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart

Old 09-26-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Correct. My error.

"Additional awards of the Purple Heart are denoted by oak leaf clusters in the Army and Air Force, and additional awards of the Purple Heart Medal are denoted by 5/16 inch stars in the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard"

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart

I didn't realize that the Army and Air Force used the oak leaf cluster! The things we learn after having been in uniform as long as we were.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:01 PM

8,382 posts, read 5,008,534 times
Quote:
I am retired U.S. Army. I truly do not think about it much. There are sick, devious, mean, cruel, misguided people out there. I have never personally encountered these individuals who wrongfully claim to have been awarded Purple Hearts. I have met many who were actually awarded the medal. I have sat on more than one Courts-Martial board involving other crimes.

It is just a sad situation...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-...house-bill/258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's common enough that it has a name - "stolen valor", and a federal law passed that makes it illegal to falsely claim you have a medal with the intention of obtaining some benefit from the claim. Why do guys do it? I guess they want to be though of as Rambo, maybe it helps them get laid. As was discussed, those in combat don't talk about it and when they do they certainly don't brag about it. Sadly, when anyone talks about there combat experience I just shake my head and say "uh huh", I assume they are lying. Even those you know that are in the military, the "tooth to tail" support ratio being what it is, its very unlikely they heard a shot fired in anger in the entire military career.
It is the fraud that is actually illegal, even though the act of 2013 mentions stolen valor, casually claiming an award is not illegal and is constitutionally protected free speech - it is in conjunction with trying to obtain benefits that someone can be charged.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-26-2018 at 11:21 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 AM

11,560 posts, read 17,472,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It is the fraud that is actually illegal, even though the act of 2013 mentions stolen valor, casually claiming an award is not illegal and is constitutionally protected free speech - it is in conjunction with trying to obtain benefits that someone can be charged.
Exactly.
There was an original "stolen valor" law without the fraud wording in 2006 I think it was but it was ruled unconstitutional in 2012 - supreme court, rightfully so, ruled that citizens have the right to be lying scumbags. The 2013 law was re-written to include the fraud clause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or