Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 09:36 AM

14,984 posts, read 23,781,627 times

Advertisements

It's common enough that it has a name - "stolen valor", and a federal law passed that makes it illegal to falsely claim you have a medal with the intention of obtaining some benefit from the claim. Why do guys do it? I guess they want to be though of as Rambo, maybe it helps them get laid. As was discussed, those in combat don't talk about it and when they do they certainly don't brag about it. Sadly, when anyone talks about there combat experience I just shake my head and say "uh huh", I assume they are lying. Even those you know that are in the military, the "tooth to tail" support ratio being what it is, its very unlikely they heard a shot fired in anger in the entire military career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 09:45 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,725,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInFL View Post
Hi,

My son in law received two Purple Hearts during service in Iraq and Afghanistan. Or, so we thought for 12 years!

Recently, after a confrontation, we found out it was a total lie. Completely made up. He’s been bringing this up now and then for 12 years.

We are totally blown away. We feel betrayed. We feel he’s mocked those who legitimately earned a Purple Heart.

Its very upsetting.

For any military members out there ... I’d love to hear what you think about this?

Thanks

First poster! Trying to stir the pot?

I cherish my dad's Purple Heart from WWII. He was a brave young man, wounded in the South Pacific, a paratrooper.

Your son-in-law causes me nausea....

Old 09-05-2018, 05:19 PM

88 posts, read 47,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It's not the OP's son. It's his son-in-law.
Oh thank you that is much better

Old 09-05-2018, 05:49 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,025,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Purple Hearts are very difficult to get. They are one of the Crown Jewels of a combat award.

Anyone who tells you they have a Purple Heart must be assumed to be lying unless they have all evidence in hand to backup the claim...Some folks will even try to exaggerate their story for the government in order to qualify for it. “I was under a barrage of gun fire with mortars falling left and right. I managed to evacuate 5 people as I was shot in my leg.”
Actually, this is NOT true.

Basically, all that is required is that one receive some sort of injury that requires medical attention as a direct result of enemy hostilities. One could be standing in the chow line when an enemy mortar goes off and sends a fragment into your butt, a medic removes it and, presto, you win a PH. An 'act of heroism' is in no way a condition of receiving the PH.

Ironic that you would make such a statement in a thread about lying about the PH, but I chalk it up to ignorance rather than intentional deceit.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:13 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,984,277 times
one thing for sure...…….anyone KIA is absolutely entitled to the purple heart.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:40 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,557,553 times
National Purple Heart Hall of Honor
How many Purple Hearts have been awarded?
"As there was not a consistent record kept since the award was established in 1932, we can only estimate the total number which have been awarded. At this time, it estimated that there may have been 1.8 million Purple Hearts awarded."
Reference: https://www.thepurpleheart.com/questions/

Old 09-06-2018, 09:28 AM

32,788 posts, read 36,039,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Actually, this is NOT true.

Basically, all that is required is that one receive some sort of injury that requires medical attention as a direct result of enemy hostilities. One could be standing in the chow line when an enemy mortar goes off and sends a fragment into your butt, a medic removes it and, presto, you win a PH. An 'act of heroism' is in no way a condition of receiving the PH.

Ironic that you would make such a statement in a thread about lying about the PH, but I chalk it up to ignorance rather than intentional deceit.
I don't think so. My friend Frank was injured times multiple in WWII and didn't get one. He did receive 5 Bronze Stars, though. He had a steel plate in his head and many problems because of those injuries. He racked up years in VA hospitals and nursing homes while they tried to fix him. No Purple Heart.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:35 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,144,090 times
Many cowardly men lie and say they are veterans
Cowards are not born they are cultivated by the war on boys

Old 09-06-2018, 03:39 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,946,752 times
Some people who couldn't get into the military or were booted out claim to be veterans.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:38 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,036,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As was discussed, those in combat don't talk about it and when they do they certainly don't brag about it. Sadly, when anyone talks about there combat experience I just shake my head and say "uh huh", I assume they are lying. Even those you know that are in the military, the "tooth to tail" support ratio being what it is, its very unlikely they heard a shot fired in anger in the entire military career.
Wow. Plenty of combat veterans relate true accounts of their experiences--assuming anyone talking, even reverently, about a combat experience is a liar is an insult I hope you avoid by not rolling your eyes and saying "uh huh".

Your "tooth to tail" comment is inaccurate. I cannot believe you are unaware or skeptical of the thousands of support troops who moved supplies and provided services through hails of SAF, RPG, and IEDs--including fighting through contact, engaging enemy troops, and all terrible things one must do in combat, like rendering aid to a dying buddy.

There are always going to be fakers, liars, and braggarts. Always some goat roper sitting at the bar regaling an audience with his battle stories--but they are far outnumbered by real and truthful veterans. Assuming everyone telling a combat story is a liar is no different that assuming someone sitting quietly is somehow authentic by omission--neither is universally indicative of truth.

LOL. A few years ago, I was seated at a dinner beside an older dude because the host knew we were both veterans. Dude told me a few of his exploits in Viet Nam--I was intrigued by his stories, but based on my own experiences, knew that fantastic and unusual are liberally laced into the sights and sounds of combat. Looked his name up when I went home. One bad-ass retired Sergeant Major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues