U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:23 AM

6,922 posts, read 5,151,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
We were stationed at Ft. Knox, Ky and love the Frazier (it is across the street from the Louisville Bat museum, so when we had visitors that only wanted to see the bats we would go to the Frazier.

Our eldest Son and his family live in Ky so we still go to the museum frequently. The docents are wonderful, and as I am blind they have allowed me to touch many of the weapons (some bare handed and some with gloves); I do not expect it and have never asked to do so.

We have a friend in Cav and he had a sword that was sharp, although he probably did it himself.
I don't know if there is any relation at all to modern ceremonial swords, but I seem to remember that Civil War era swords were often not sharpened unless the guy that carried it decided to do so. Some Cavalry sabers were left intentionally un-honed; I recall there being a very practical reason for it in the heat of battle and a sharp sword was, well, a two edged sword. I remember because an appraiser commented that a sword that hadn't been sharpened wasn't evidence that it hadn't been carried or used in battle.

So maybe its like ordering a suit coat, where the pockets are sewn shut til they're sold and the buyer opens them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 10:57 PM

35,804 posts, read 39,249,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Never had the opportunity to carry a ceremonial sword. Are today’s ceremonial swords made from real steel? Are they sharpened or left dull blade?
My husband has a Navy CPO cutlass. We used it in our wedding. It's steel, and sharp enough (we cut cake with it, after it was used in the ceremonial arch), but definitely not slice-your-hand razor sharp.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:58 AM

32,039 posts, read 39,064,744 times
A guy a couple classes ahead of me in USNAOCS went after his Marine Drill Instructor with his sword at the commissioning ceremony. Good times.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:37 PM

9,041 posts, read 3,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband has a Navy CPO cutlass. We used it in our wedding. It's steel, and sharp enough (we cut cake with it, after it was used in the ceremonial arch), but definitely not slice-your-hand razor sharp.
same for a friend and their cake

it is stainless steel for durability... real combat swords dont use stainless steel... it wouldnt hold the edge well enough because what makes it stainless also makes it harder to temper into an edge

same reason high quality knives arent stainless steel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues