U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 06:52 PM

8,791 posts, read 7,260,733 times

Advertisements

Never had the opportunity to carry a ceremonial sword. Are today’s ceremonial swords made from real steel? Are they sharpened or left dull blade?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:45 PM

10,238 posts, read 7,366,357 times
I'm guessing. Yes and no.
I've carried one and done some drill with one. I'm pretty sure they're not really sharp or I would have remembered. They're more for looks than weaponry. They can still hurt!

Old 09-18-2018, 01:52 AM

8,334 posts, read 2,801,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Never had the opportunity to carry a ceremonial sword. Are today’s ceremonial swords made from real steel? Are they sharpened or left dull blade?
Pooley Swords now make swords for armed forces throughout the world and of course for the British Armed Forces. Pooley was established when historic company Wilkinson Sword (Schick) decided to concentrate on making shaving razors.

Military Swords - Pooley Sword

Old 09-18-2018, 02:28 AM

The UK Royal Armouries Museum which has a massive collection of swords and armour has permanent galleries within the Frazier History Museum in Louisville, Kentucky, USA.

In the UK it has a national museum which displays the National Collection of Arms and Armour at Leeds in West Yorkshire, England,

As well as Royal Armouries museums, at it's traditional home at the Tower of London, and at Fort Nelson, Hampshire in Emgland where there is a National Collection of Artillery.

Royal Armouries | National museums of arms and armour

Old 09-18-2018, 08:21 AM

24,011 posts, read 38,593,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The two U.S. Army ceremonial swords I have seen used (over 25 years ago) at a wedding and at a parade (at Ft Meade and U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan) had dull blades...

There appear to be a variety of vendors which manufacture them.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,947,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The UK Royal Armouries Museum which has a massive collection of swords and armour has permanent galleries within the Frazier History Museum in Louisville, Kentucky, USA.

In the UK it has a national museum which displays the National Collection of Arms and Armour at Leeds in West Yorkshire, England,

As well as Royal Armouries museums, at it's traditional home at the Tower of London, and at Fort Nelson, Hampshire in Emgland where there is a National Collection of Artillery.

Royal Armouries | National museums of arms and armour
We were stationed at Ft. Knox, Ky and love the Frazier (it is across the street from the Louisville Bat museum, so when we had visitors that only wanted to see the bats we would go to the Frazier.

Our eldest Son and his family live in Ky so we still go to the museum frequently. The docents are wonderful, and as I am blind they have allowed me to touch many of the weapons (some bare handed and some with gloves); I do not expect it and have never asked to do so.

We have a friend in Cav and he had a sword that was sharp, although he probably did it himself.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM

29,639 posts, read 47,276,638 times
I carried one when I was in bootcamp. It was dull.

AAFES sells them on-base and on-line.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 748,937 times
I thought that ceremonial swords were as sharp as real ones. Didn't know they weren't. My cousin Holly Ann in Milwauke had our cousin Reinhold 's sword. This was not ceremonial, but a german officer's sword. He had been an artillary officer during WW1, and left Germany in the late 1920s very early 30s to escape the Nazis.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:05 AM

9,287 posts, read 15,638,932 times
They are made out of steel. I can't comment on the quality of the metal, but they are made to look at -- not use in combat. The blades are dull.

Old 09-27-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
We were stationed at Ft. Knox, Ky and love the Frazier (it is across the street from the Louisville Bat museum, so when we had visitors that only wanted to see the bats we would go to the Frazier.

Our eldest Son and his family live in Ky so we still go to the museum frequently. The docents are wonderful, and as I am blind they have allowed me to touch many of the weapons (some bare handed and some with gloves); I do not expect it and have never asked to do so.

We have a friend in Cav and he had a sword that was sharp, although he probably did it himself.
There is a very good collection at Ft. Knox and they also have an agreement with the British Royal Armouries which means historic swords and other armaments are often loaned to Ft .Knox.

Great place to be stationed at of you are interested in history and historic items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues