U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2018, 03:35 PM

5,926 posts, read 3,183,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I heard someone once tell my father that he wasn't a veteran because he was an officer and never went to an actual war despite serving for 20+ years during multiple times of war, etc. I've come across other people who thought you're only a veteran if you actually saw battle. I don't agree with that.

That makes you a combat veteran.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2018, 04:28 PM

17,387 posts, read 14,892,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Title 38 defines a veteran as "...a person who served in the active military, naval, or air service, and who was discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable."

There are obviously different levels in people's minds for what they consider a veteran.

Personally, I served 6 years in the National Guard with no activation and fall into that odd grey area of being honorably discharged, yet not having enough active service to really count as anything. I get tense when people thank me for serving mostly because I don't feel I did anything.

What is your own personal definition of a veteran regardless of Title 38?
It doesn't matter that you didn't get sent to war, it matters that you offered yourself up to be sent off to war. You showed bravery most people do not have, just in the willingness to put your life on the line for your country. To me you are a veteran and should be proud of it.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 2,981,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think you merely need to have raised your hand, sworn your oath, and successfully completed every task given to you until they told you that you were done.
That's a good way to put it. Anyway, a strong military force is a deterrent regardless of whether they're called up. You still helped keep the country safe.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:50 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,805,496 times
Mine own is if you complete boot camp.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:58 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,502,462 times
Quote:
I heard someone once tell my father that he wasn't a veteran because he was an officer and never went to an actual war despite serving for 20+ years during multiple times of war, etc. I've come across other people who thought you're only a veteran if you actually saw battle. I don't agree with that.

Whomever said that to your father was first an idiot and a snob. Many veterans never ever see battle. I had 25 years before I ever went to a war zone and did I go to fight? Hell no. I went in support of soldiers in the battlefield. Did I have to carry my weapon and wear body armor? You bet I did. Did the infantry appreciate my job? Yup because if I didn't go to do my job they would have had to walk everywhere and not have generator power to have some comfort.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:16 PM

16,543 posts, read 17,630,382 times
As long as you were in a branch of service and went through boot SOI AIT A-school etc and graduated to become a full fledged member of the military services imo you’re a veteran. Regardless if you went to war or not

Quote:
Tell your dad the guy who said that is a idiot. Your dad is most certainly a veteran.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:09 PM

4,407 posts, read 2,448,267 times
I was a military veteran, but not a war veteran. I was in the Navy after Korea and before Viet Nam.

I have a DD214, and an Honorable Discharge certificate.

It is pleasant telling "sea stories" with other former sailors.

I am on a low tier for VA benefits.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:09 PM

24,167 posts, read 38,993,106 times
Who qualifies as a veteran, anyway?
By Ted Puntillo

https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr...eteran-anyway/

Quote:
Members of the National Guard and Reserves may be considered veterans if they were deployed under Title 10 (Federal Orders) and complete that deployment and are issued a DD-214 (discharge) under honorable conditions.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:17 PM

8,401 posts, read 7,400,201 times
I was in the Navy for Korean Conflict. I spent the first year in first boot camp, and then in Navy Schools. I never went aboard a ship, except the USS Boxer to find how the catapults and arresting gear for launching and receiving planes was laid out to take a test for advancement. I spent all my time in Alameda Ca. and in Hawaii where my wife and I lived where the big shopping center at Waikiki Beach is located today.

I was in Naval Air Transport squadrons, where we sent goods and passengers overseas. In Hawaii I was in charge of all cargo loaded and unloaded from planes at a very large air transport squadron. I was ordered back to California for another squadron where they had transferred me from 4 months previously, as I was the only one they could find to be the Air Terminal Chief at a Naval Air Base, in charge of all passengers, and cargo through that squadron. I was only an E-4 doing an E-7 (Chief's) job, with my two section leaders both out ranking me as an E-5 and E-6. I was in charge, as I was the only one they could find to replace a retiring Chief, with the knowledge and experience to run the air terminal.

I never left what today is 50 states, I never served on a ship, but I was doing very valuable work. I was supervising transportation, including passengers and cargo for those going over to the battle zone. I had top secret clearance so I could supervise loading planes going over to the islands testing the Big Bomb. I was the only one in the squadron to see the invoices, and know what was in those boxes, that I had to personally match the invoice with the number on the box, which listed the contents.

A large percentage of the military will never be combat veterans, but they are all still veterans. The service branch they are in, will make the decision what you will be assigned to do, and where you will serve, and if you are going into battle or stay in the USA like I was. No matter what your assignment was, if you served honorably you are a Veteran.

The Navy considered me a veteran, allowing me to have education benefits, and to buy 4 different homes on no money down V.A. loans. If the loan was paid off when you sold a home, you could use your V.A. loan again as if you had never had one. And I have V.A. Hospital benefits if I ever need them.

I am proud to say, I am a Veteran. I am telling my history, as it is a way to explain that all Veterans do not all go into battle, or harm's way. I was more valuable doing what I was doing, than going to sea, as far as the Navy was concerned. I was doing valuable work, to keep the troops in Korea supplied with things they needed, and to move troops, officers, vital supplies they need tomorrow to the battle areas.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:24 PM

29,752 posts, read 47,576,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
... I served 6 years in the National Guard with no activation and fall into that odd grey area of being honorably discharged, yet not having enough active service to really count as anything. I get tense when people thank me for serving mostly because I don't feel I did anything.

What is your own personal definition of a veteran regardless of Title 38?
You swore the oath, you signed the contract, you completed the training, you wore the uniform, and you performed the duties that you were assigned to perform until the day you were relieved of those duties.

Your contract was different than mine, but you served to the full extent that your contract required that you serve. And you completed your contract without 'dishonor'. In my mind, you are a veteran, as much as I am a veteran. [I did 20-years on Active Duty]

I would proudly walk beside you in any Veteran's Day parade, and buy you a shot of whiskey at the VFW when the parade is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues