Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 01:31 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

US Army selects new submachine gun PDW

US army has not had standard issue subgun for a long time. Why they all of sudden choose otherwise? And what purpose does a subgun serve that the M4 carbine cannot do?

On top of that what is the purpose of a 9mm calibre gun that is bigger than a 9mm pistol? Why not use a bigger calibre for a bigger gun? Like a 10mm or the 762x25 like the Soviets did. 10mm seems more appropriate than 9mm. 10mm is more powerful. But a subgun will have should butt, and can hold with two hands, so recoil should not be an issue.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ubmachine-gun/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JIqxLTBS5M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
They currently use the HK MP-5 or a variant of that subgun. Used for close quarters, and urban fighting I should think.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:40 PM

703 posts, read 612,396 times
A nice little cookie thrown to some gun maker with pentagon contacts. You are correct. ALL standard use military rifles nowadays are capable of full-auto. ergo a sub-machine gun.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:25 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,264 times
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...op-commanders/

I could see it used for vehicle crews in a pinch. I used a short barreled SAW with the old para stock - was shorter that my M4.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:09 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-...op-commanders/

I could see it used for vehicle crews in a pinch. I used a short barreled SAW with the old para stock - was shorter that my M4.
While I was in we were just turning in the M3 grease guns for the slightly longer M4. If this new weapon was for vehicle crews they seem to have reversed direction. The undercover, or not as noticeably armed bodyguard role like when the Secret Service pulled out MiniUzis when President Reagan was attacked seems to be the specialized role.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Even if this is for vehicle crews why, not at least give them a larger calibre than the one in the pistol. If they are already carrying a pistol with that same round, what is point of having a slightly larger gun with the same calibre?

I always thought subguns with 9mm are silly when there exists larger more powerful pistol calibres. A larger gun should get larger calibre plus the recoil.

Will this guy be adopted by air crews too? They also have tight spaces.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:34 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Even if this is for vehicle crews why, not at least give them a larger calibre than the one in the pistol. If they are already carrying a pistol with that same round, what is point of having a slightly larger gun with the same calibre?

I always thought subguns with 9mm are silly when there exists larger more powerful pistol calibres. A larger gun should get larger calibre plus the recoil.

Highly unlikely. The last thing we need is someone emptying a 30 round mag inside an aircraft. I have over 5000 hours as a C-130 loadmaster, including time in Bosnia and Afghanistan. If we went into a high-risk area we would take Ravens or some other protection force with us. Our primary mission was to land the aircraft download/upload and get the hell out, not engage in a firefight.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

Name some "more powerful pistol calibres" used by the U.S. Military.

How many rounds have you carried? The M-60 Machine Gun carried the same round as the M-14 Rifle...

Old 07-15-2019, 07:52 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Name some "more powerful pistol calibres" used by the U.S. Military.

How many rounds have you carried? The M-60 Machine Gun carried the same round as the M-14 Rifle...
^^^^^This. Logistics. The 9MM round is already supplied to U.S. and NATO troops. A small, light, select fire subgun may eventually replace the pistol as a sidearm. That was the intent of the M1 Carbine, but even that was too large. Although I love my little USGI Inland M1 Carbine, I can not carry it conveniently like a pistol.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:14 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Note that these aren't intended for front line troops - but for support troops and some security details. So the need is there for:
-small defensive weapon, logistically easy to manage in tight spaces
-more firepower and much more accurate than a standard handgun (using stock)
-handgun caliber, 9mm to be consistent with NATO (you can even interchange magazines in some cases)
-handgun caliber results in reduced recoil and thus easier handling for these support troops
-handgun caliber likewise results in reduced penetration thus minimizing the possibility of friendly casualties

It's also good for us in the civilian marketplace (in SBR form or as a pistol) as it brings more options, lower cost, more accessories. It's amazing how fun my Scorpion is to take out on the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues