U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 08:23 PM

7,228 posts, read 12,617,041 times

Advertisements

After I graduated from high school, I did try to see if I could try to join the military. No deal. Army guy did ask if I would be able to function/follow commands without hearing aids, I can hear only with hearing aids unfortunately. They all said I could support the military by doing civilian jobs. I even asked if I could do Basic training then do civilian job. No to that as well. Which sucked.

OP, I don't know if you know of Keith Nolan? He's probably the only Deaf person that comes pretty close to it, but he is still disqualified. He hasn't let that deter him completely, I believe he's still advocating for the change.

Here he talks about his (limited) experience:

https://www.ted.com/talks/keith_nola...ge=en#t-131733
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 12:30 AM

1,745 posts, read 303,849 times
"Alright, ensign, I can't hear you!" "He's deaf, sir!"

Old 10-01-2018, 07:24 AM

3,178 posts, read 9,193,907 times
How will you march in formation when commands are called from behind you and you can't lip read? How will you react to the various types of sirens they have and overhead loudspeaker commands that tell you to put on chem gear? How will you talk on the radio? How will you hear the enemy coming up from behind you?

All member of the US must speak English to facilitate communication, and I realize many deaf people have communications abilities with the hearing, but it is not the same. A big portion of our training is received in large "calls" in which will fill into huge auditoriums and can't always sit close enough to lip read. Etc.

I'm sorry, I don't think it will ever happen. Blind people can't serve either.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM

17,063 posts, read 14,744,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I tried enlisting after I graduated high school. All of the recruiters said I will not be able to serve due to my deafness.

I read about deaf people in the Israeli military, and there are deaf people in the ROTC programs. I was in the JROTC all four years of my high school.

I am wondering what are your opinions regarding deaf people in the military. Will it happen someday? Would you feel comfortable with deaf people serving? Opinions are welcome. I will not be offended if some of you say you won't feel comfortable. Provide reasons why you believe deaf people should or should not serve, and also reasons why you think it may or may not happen with deaf people serving.
What are you going to do in a combat zone when someone yells "Incoming!!"?

The military has always been careful about physical qualities needed. My brother was rejected for cataracts even though they never affected him and he has no problems seeing. A friend was rejected due to flat feet.

Have you tried the Coast Guard or the National Guard? Are they the same?

Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 AM

17,844 posts, read 9,790,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No, they should not be in. There is no way to be in the military and not be able to hear; there are limited jobs where it would not be an issue, however, every billet that fills is just one less for someone to transfer from the fleet, being deployed, etc, and adds much less flexibility to the military as far as personnel assignments are concerned.

You are not just the person who enlisted and got an office job, you also are someone who will be on duty possibly armed, auxiliary security force at a time of crisis, and as you move up, then what? The fleet needs billets to fill for shore (speaking just the Navy right now) and having billets reserved for non-deployable people just takes prime billets away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Deaf people from ROTC or JROTC programs are not accepted into the US Military.

The Israeli military is the only military in the world which accepts deaf people. The Israel Defense Forces differs from most armed forces in the world in many ways. Differences include the mandatory conscription of women and its structure, which emphasizes close relations between the army, navy, and air force. US Forces are about 1,301,300 personnel versus 176,500 Israeli military. US Forces are spread in various country's, unlike the Israel Defense Forces.
In all the cases that someone suggests the IDF as an example of this or that, it should always be recognized that the IDF is dealing with a much different problem--usually a much smaller problem--than the US military is faced with.

The need to project combat forces far beyond home-based logistical support, for instance, is huge.

Mandatory conscription wouldn't even be possible in a nation that produces 4,000,000 18-year-olds every year.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM

24,085 posts, read 38,771,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What are you going to do in a combat zone when someone yells "Incoming!!"?

The military has always been careful about physical qualities needed. My brother was rejected for cataracts even though they never affected him and he has no problems seeing. A friend was rejected due to flat feet.

The National Guard of the United States, part of the reserve components of the United States Armed Forces, is a reserve military force, composed of National Guard military members or units of each state and the territories of Guam, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia, for a total of 54 separate organizations. All members of the National Guard of the United States are also members of the militia of the United States as defined by 10 U.S.C. 246. National Guard units are under the dual control of the state and the federal government.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation..._United_States

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) is a branch of the United States Armed Forces.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Coast_Guard

Old 10-01-2018, 12:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,975,614 times
I have a family member who has been deaf all her life and she is married to a deaf man. They raised a very fine hearing son and are normal in every way other than not being able to hear. I've noticed that this makes them very aware and perceptive. They doesn't miss much.

They are members of a deaf community who don't believe that deafness is a handicap.

I think it would be a good thing for deaf people to be able to serve if they wanted to. Certainly there are a number of jobs they would be capable of.

It would require a totally different way of introducing them to the unit and a lot of planning and paperwork (of course) but I see no reason why it couldn't be accomplished.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:26 PM

17,844 posts, read 9,790,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I have a family member who has been deaf all her life and she is married to a deaf man. They raised a very fine hearing son and are normal in every way other than not being able to hear. I've noticed that this makes them very aware and perceptive. They doesn't miss much.

They are members of a deaf community who don't believe that deafness is a handicap.

I think it would be a good thing for deaf people to be able to serve if they wanted to. Certainly there are a number of jobs they would be capable of.

It would require a totally different way of introducing them to the unit and a lot of planning and paperwork (of course) but I see no reason why it couldn't be accomplished.
You need to go back and read post #2.

The military accepts candidates on the basis of being "fully deployable," not on the basis of whether a special job can be found somewhere for their particular capabilities.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 10-01-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 01:17 PM

5,818 posts, read 3,109,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Same standards. Neither will accept you if you are deaf.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:45 PM

247 posts, read 160,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The military accepts candidates on the basis of being "fully deployable," not on the basis of whether a special job can be found somewhere for their particular capabilities.
Even moreso now than in years prior, too. A lot of issues were waiverable before, but now if you're not 100% deployable out of the gate, it probably isn't going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or