U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:25 PM

8,072 posts, read 4,431,793 times

Advertisements

i got a high frequency deafness, like telephone and ringing noises, i failed the physical for navy, air force, army and coast guard, not one physical but four. all because of high frequency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:09 PM

5,124 posts, read 2,981,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You need to go back and read post #2.

The military accepts candidates on the basis of being "fully deployable," not on the basis of whether a special job can be found somewhere for their particular capabilities.
Haha. You must not have been around to see some of the guys who were drafted during the Vietnam War.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 AM

32,055 posts, read 39,100,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Haha. You must not have been around to see some of the guys who were drafted during the Vietnam War.
Viet Nam era-draft
Today-all volunteer, essentially a professional force

Big, real big, difference.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 AM

13,720 posts, read 4,046,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Viet Nam era-draft
Today-all volunteer, essentially a professional force

Big, real big, difference.
Amen, two different Worlds !

Old 10-02-2018, 05:25 AM
Status: "Success is earned through failure." (set 25 days ago)

1,678 posts, read 2,775,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I tried enlisting after I graduated high school. All of the recruiters said I will not be able to serve due to my deafness.

I read about deaf people in the Israeli military, and there are deaf people in the ROTC programs. I was in the JROTC all four years of my high school.

I am wondering what are your opinions regarding deaf people in the military. Will it happen someday? Would you feel comfortable with deaf people serving? Opinions are welcome. I will not be offended if some of you say you won't feel comfortable. Provide reasons why you believe deaf people should or should not serve, and also reasons why you think it may or may not happen with deaf people serving.
My father fought in Vietnam in the Air Force, and my dream growing up was to be an Air Force Fighter pilot. Because I was legally blind in my left eye, I was rejected from the military, so I can kind of relate to your disappointment. They outright told me "you can't even drive a boat for us." Ouch!

As for deafness, well, if the "you know what" hits the fan, and the Platoon leader yells "Fire!" I'd much prefer that the troops with the guns hear him.

I'm sure you could be a very valuable asset to the military, but I also understand their reasons for not accepting those of us with certain physical limitations. Everything happens for a reason, so you will be able to experience other things in life that maybe the military couldn't afford, and one day you'll look back and go, "yeah, that wouldn't have happened for me if I was in the military." At least that's my wish for you.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:34 AM

17,860 posts, read 9,804,836 times
Quote:
Actually, I had a draft card, but enlisted into the Air Force before I was drafted.

They certainly drafted some sad sacks, but not anyone who was officially identified as not fully deployable right at the gate.

Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 AM

4,048 posts, read 1,697,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Not a problem. I did say I welcome all opinions. No offense taken.
Wow! Look at that! Someone with an awesome attitude and common sense in this forum! You rock, my friend.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:47 AM

5,124 posts, read 2,981,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, I had a draft card, but enlisted into the Air Force before I was drafted.

They certainly drafted some sad sacks, but not anyone who was officially identified as not fully deployable right at the gate.
That's right. After I posted I remembered that you were a contemporary.

I need to remember not to measure today by yesterday's standards.

I do feel strongly inclusionary about our deaf population. Sometimes I think people see them as more handicapped than they see themselves. They have many methods for coping with their deafness.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:54 AM

32,055 posts, read 39,100,535 times
Quote:

I do feel strongly inclusionary about our deaf population. Sometimes I think people see them as more handicapped than they see themselves. They have many methods for coping with their deafness.
That's true but the military probably isn't a good place for coping.

Now, a military related occupation for NSA or DIA might be. Code breaking, hacking, cyber-warfare. Not that those agencies do that.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:59 AM

17,860 posts, read 9,804,836 times
Quote:

My wife used to teach for the deaf and hard of hearing.

An incidental story--when we were at Pearl Harbor in the early 90s, my wife got a call to interpret for a speech Clinton was making locally. She had been teaching deaf and hard of hearing in earlier years as a DODDS sub years earlier overseas, and I suspect that between my clearance (which involved a rudimentary check of my spouse) and here prior work history, they had her on some kind of list (or maybe two lists, and she was the coincident name).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or